• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.4.x - Files opening as solid bright green color

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is any experiencing this error where the screen goes bright green when trying to open a photo? This just started happening to me with all different file types, jpg, psd, tiff, 8bit 16bit ect.. but there's no apparent reason for the error. So I'm lost on how to fix the problem. 

{Thread title renamed by moderator}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Rather than turning off the GPU completely as in the linked thread, try this.

Leave the GPU on and go to Preferences - Technology Previews. Check - Deactivate Native Canvas then close and restart Photoshop.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that fixed it. I was so lost. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than turning off the GPU completely as in the linked thread, try this.

Leave the GPU on and go to Preferences - Technology Previews. Check - Deactivate Native Canvas then close and restart Photoshop.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dave

It looks like your solution worked for me. Scary it happened so randomly in the first place.

Thank you

Howard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me too.. any reason "Deactivate Native Canvas" should be activated again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe are updating the core graphics functions in Photoshop. This is driven by the operating systems of Apple and Microsoft in which the old Open GL functions are being removed in the case of Apple, or deprecated in the case of Microsoft. This means that the graphics functions that have worked for years must be rewritten to use Metal and Direct X. At the same time, Adobe are sensibly updating those core functions to deliver the additional speed we require to handle the very large files of today.

Deactivate Native Canvas forces the GPU to use the older GPU functions. After any GPU driver update, which could be delivered via your operating system, or after updating Photoshop, uncheck it and try the new functions again.

Note though that some older functionality in Photoshop, such as 3D and Lighting effects, still relies on the older Open GL graphics and so also need Deactivate Native Canvas to be checked . 

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That green screen freaked me out. Thanks for sharing a quick and easy solution,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

I had the same green screen issue, so I followed the "Deactivate Native Canvas" instructions you previously posted. This however results in the error message 'Could not complete your request because it only works with OpenGL enabled document windows' when I go to use the 'rotate view' tool. Any suggestions? I rely heavily on the 'rotate view' tool as I'm a digital image editor and illustrator.

I am using a 2018 MacBook Pro with macOS Big Sur and Photoshop 22.4.2.

Kind regards

Jenny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works. Thank you so much for this tip! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deactivating Native Canvas also seems to have 'fixed' my 3D issue. Previously, I was unable to use the 3D function on my 2019 MacBook Pro. I had assumed the AMD graphic card was not compatible - but this seems to have fixed that!

Thnank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same issue and davescm solution worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You nailed it for me. MANY THANKS !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! On a deadline creating social media posts due today and this saved the day.

You are "Saved the Day Dave" in my office right now! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed CC 2021 on my BRAND NEW MacBook Pro laptop running the latest OS.

When I try to open an existing photographic file, it comes in as a BRIGHT GREEN screen - no image at all.

When I try to create a few file, same thing happens.

I've rebooted the laptop - no change.

Unstalled and reinstalled Photoshop CC 2021 - no change!

All other CC software opens and displays properly.

All other files open and display properly.

What could be going on????

Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 12.35.26 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go into Preferences and check "deactivate native canvas".

It's a problem in Apple's video driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens to me too! Deactivate native canvas is off. Any other suggestions please??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It used to work for me. I havent upgraded my operating system. I am running PS 2021   22.4.2. This updates itself!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I am sorry, I checked it on and now it works fine. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Have you ever faced this kind of a problem? When zooming in, image preview turns to green. I´m using PS22.4.2. Didn´t do this yesterday. Though I updated my mac into BigSur 11.4 yesterday evening... Something to do with that? I reset the PS prefs already... no effect.Screenshot 2021-07-15 at 11.48.56.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Im having the same problem, happened yesterday, Ok one minute eveything green the next.
Any help woud be much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Does turning on »Deactivate Native Canvas« (Photoshop > Preferences > Technology Previews) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes turning off the Graphics Processor helped. Now zooming works. What does this men eventually? Should I be concerned?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this is no proper solution as it invalidates GPU dependent features (like the Rotate View Tool, 3D Features and some Filter acceleration for example) but it hints at problems with the GPU driver. 

Updating the GPU driver from the maker’s site might help, another option might be checking if changing the »Advanced Setting« (and restarting Photoshop) has any effect. 

Have you also tried to Â»Deactivate Native Canvas« and it made no difference? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines