• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: How to fix Photoshop Scratch Disks Full Error?

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Photoshop CC on my MacBook Air with macOS Sierra. Every time I attempt to open Photoshop through any means, the following message appears: "Could not initialize Photoshop because the scratch disks are full", and Photoshop does not open. I tried clearing space from my Mac in general including several GB worth of apps and removing several cache files, but nothing seems to work. I also tried holding down the command and option keys to reveal the Scratch Disk Preferences, and it lets me select the Startup and MacIntosh HD. Again, nothing worked. Anyone know how to fix this message, and/or clear scratch disk space?Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 8.36.51 PM.png

{Moderator note: Edited the thread title PS-65057}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

This is super late, but for anyone else who runs into this issue...Similar thing happened to me. Do you make new files by pixel size or by inches? I usually go by pixels (ex: 2500x3000 or something like that), but I apparently I had accidentally switched to inches and it would only let me max the numbers to 1000. Went back to pixels and it all worked out!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Hi all,

We're sorry for the scratch disk issue. Take a look at the following troubleshooting article which can help you to resolve the "Scratch disk is full" error: Troubleshoot scratch disk full errors in Photoshop

Please have a look and let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 328 Replies 328
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

I'm actually running without backup at the moment because most of my drives are disconnected ready for moving to the new system.

Interesting disaster prevention system... I wouldn’t do that. My backup is disconnected from my workhorse.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abambo  wrote

Trevor.Dennis   wrote

I'm actually running without backup at the moment because most of my drives are disconnected ready for moving to the new system.

Interesting disaster prevention system... I wouldn’t do that. My backup is disconnected from my workhorse.

This is completely temporary, and all but my most recent activity is backed up on the disconnected drives, but I have been expecting delivery of a new system and have only a few essential drives connected right now.  I normally have all drives permanently connected, which is something I sometimes worry about as I understand ransomware encrypts all connected drives.  Plus a disaster like a house fire would wipe me out. I am paranoid about opening emails that look sus, but I am sure they can get you eventually.

[EDIT]  I forgot to say that I use Shadow Protect that does incremental backups every 15 minutes.  You can mount the back up at any of those intervals, and you can make an image of your boot drive and boot from it via a CD or pen-drive.   It's one of the better $100 I've ever spent.  They also have unbelievably good support.

ShadowProtect | Server, Desktop, Virtual | StorageCraft

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, yes. A backup system ideally plans for a certain range of disasters. If backups are permanently connected it protects well against

- hard drive failure

- accidental deletion or overwriting

- crazy application software

It protects poorly against

- crazy system software

- malware

- mains surge

- environmental damage (e.g. water)

It doesn't protect against

- theft

- fire

For business purposes, a system which ever left me with all backups in the same building would be unacceptable to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company has a three-knot disaster prevention. We have 3 mirrored server infrastructure in 3 distant places.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't trust the company server, we've lost files there and changed IT provider several times because of that. They say their backup is safe - until it isn't. Besides, the server is slow and doesn't have enough storage space for my needs.

So I made my own system.

I have two similarly configured machines at work and home, both fitted with 20 TB storage space. I then use synchronization software to copy new and modified files to an external drive, and the reverse process on the target machine. I've used this system for close to ten years now without a single problem.

It does take a while to set up, because you need placeholders for every file on the external. It has to be a very large capacity drive, and it takes forever to copy over the first time. But in operation, it's very efficient. One click, let it copy the day's work, pack up the drive and go home.

This way I have three copies of every file, at least one always off-site. It has saved my butt on several occasions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At work, I need to take my company’s IT infrastructure. For security reasons, we can’t share own infrustructures with the corporate net. But as I said: we have three mirrored server infrastructures. So when buying a new server, we do buy 3. When adding disk space, we do add 3times that. Anytime any server can take over as master.

I have at home a 2 level security system (my computer and my backup server). I would like to have a level system to be immune against fire, but that is not in reach today..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi to all users of scratch discs 🙂

this is an old one, but may i summarize the subject for 2021, as i use scratch discs on a daily base and my RAM is full early (16GB and on another mac 64GB in the moment).

i also need a scratch disc for 4k video work with adobe premiere pro CC.

this article is a good recommendation by adobe:

(wasnt allowed to post html link:) "adobe > help > scratch disc" or "Set up scratch disks"

i just dont see, what a network drive is. ethernet? or even an external thunderbolt raid? ("dont use network drives as scratch disc", they write).

apart from that, adobe says, performance is better, if you DONT set your scratch disc..

- to the internal boot disc and work disc, where your huge photoshop files reside,

- to an USB2.0 or USB3.0 external 2.5" disc (too slow)

(so, i cannot use my fast internal macbookpro 1 TB SSD, if i want max. performance of my scratch disc)

so, what is the best option for a scratch disc with maxium performance?

in my opinion, a separate and internal SSD, which is dedicated for photoshop only, and always free. (no files on it). point.

as my macbookpro laptop has no space for a second internal SSD, i only could opt for an external thunderbolt 3 SSD or HDD raid0, which is also permanently empty (no files on it).

how large should a scratch disc be? depends on your files and work method, my files are up to 40GB per single .psb (in 16bit) and i use 24 history states: multiplied, the scratch disc should be 1-2 TB ? not sure...

what do you think? thanks for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any suggestions for how to add a scratch disk in the updated Photoshop CC 2015.5 version. All of the videos and other answers provide an earlier version, and in this version of Photoshop, they moved the scratch disk to it's own tab. I have an external drive connected to my computer, but don't see an icon or a way to check (or add) another drive.

Please help!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

start Photoshop while pressing alt + ctrl

Scratch Disk Photoshop.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I am using Mac OS. I tried the alt + ctrl & the equivalent alt + cmd in OS. No dialogue box popped up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check that. The dialogue box appeared, but didn't allow me to choose another drive I only see startup & mac hd.

Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 6.16.49 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

( it's "command-option" at start up on a Mac )

Bizarre, I can see all my connected external HD and partitions. ( El Capitan 10.11.6 )

Try : for First select Macintosh HD, then see if you can select your ext.HD for Second

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that and just updated my OS to El Capitan 10.11.6 and nothing changed.

Any other ideas? Do you think it's my external hard drive? It worked for the last version of Photoshop, but when I updated it the disks changed back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

From Finder, unmount your ext.HD and turn it Off (it it has a power switch), keep PS open. Turn On the ext.HD and mount it on your desktop (do you see it in Finder too ?). Go to PS preferences > Scratch Disks, can you see/select it ?

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2016 Aug 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i am having the same problem with you.

After having discussion with the support staff of adobe, i can solved it by changing the format of our external hard drive.

if you have you external hard drive formated with FAT 32, it wont be recognized in the mac computer.

try to format your external hard drive with OX X EXTENDED (JOURNALD) format, after that you can now select that drive in the Scratch disk option.

I hope it can help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2016 Aug 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I can't tell you how thankful I am for your response!

I was starting to wonder that about the external drive itself.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I format my hard drive to OX X EXTENDED (JOURNALD) format, will it erase all the contents on it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what formatting will do and you will get that warning. You'll have to back the data to a folder on your main drive if there is room or to another external HD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Please help me, I have followed all these steps and it will STILL NOT recognise my ext hard drive as a scratch disk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you format it? What format did you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. How do you do this? How do you format with OX X extended

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use FAT32 so mac and windows can use both disk. Weird thing is, illustrator does see the disk, while photoshop does not. Seems like a hardcoded pref to use JOURNALED in photoshop while illustrator doesn't seem to care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

total tech nub here... how do i format the externa, hard drive w OX X EXTENDED (Journald) format?? plz & ty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Disk Utility.app  Search for it in Spotlight.

Click on Erase, and select MacOS Extended Journaled and then click Erase to remove all

data on the External Drive and to format the drive.

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 10.15.26 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DOESN'T WORK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines