• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Program error while opening or creating new document after Photoshop 22.1 update [2020]

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since yesterday's update, can´t even open a jpg file. Always says: Could not complete your request because of a program error. I need to work.

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title, PS-52603}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Hi all,

05/20 update: We have resolved another program error issue while dragging assets from libraries to the artboard in Photoshop 22.4.1 update. Could you please update Photoshop to the 22.4.1 version via the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app and let us know your feedback.

Here's how you update Photoshop to its latest version: Update Creative Cloud apps

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 1058 Replies 1058
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you....keep the updates in beta longer....my mac photographer friend is not having this issue...windows based unit....mine...is. This is frustrating that we have to pay to troubleshoot their program. Very frustrating. All my work is in that program and I am losing way more than the 9.99 it costs for this program. But...I didn't ever think I would have to troubleshoot any program I have to pay monthly for. If they would only keep their updates in beta testing way longer....thousands of us wouldn't be upset now. As a paying customer, long time standing....ALL MY WORK IS IN THERE.... cries helplessly in her hands right now as her deadline comes closer. I believe Adobe, should refund us all that month of 9.99 when their updates affect our workflows. I didn't authorize the update, it showed up this morning. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

After update to 2021, my photoshop simply says program error when I tried to open any files. It shows the same message even when I try to close it. What ever I do to it, the error message keeps showing. I have to close it via task manager. I tried reinstall and problem remains.

Please help, its urgent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

U mnie to samo. To błąd po stronie aplikacji adobe photoshop 2021.  proszę o informację jak można przywrócić do starszej wersji  Ps 2020?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem here.
Photoshop opens correctly but when I try to I open a file of any format this error message appears: The request could not be completed due to a program error. The same type of message appears when I try to close Photoshop, I have to close the program forcibly.
I tried to reset PS preferences - doesn't work. I tried to reinstall Photoshop - doesn't work. I need to work, I have so many jobs to do and I can't. It started after upgrade to PS 2021. The previous version worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the fastest way to fix is install old version.
i tried all possible fixes and didn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These critical issues date back to at least the 19th of October. I stupidly 'upgraded' early this morning (29th), that's ten days when adobe decided to play russian roulette with their users.

total dereliction of duty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem. Can't work 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here on windows 10, raw files will open in camera raw but not in photoshop, PS will not even close have to use task manage to close program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same error here...seems to be an issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Have done exactly the same. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reading another thread, it can be an issue with older GPU's. Try disabling your GPU in Preferences and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue can not open anything, cannot even close  ps...tried the preferences, the library folder everything...checked all you tube but no results that work! hopefully they will fix it very soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're sorry for the program error. Can you please try the solution here? https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#ProgramErroropeningfiles

Let us know, how it goes.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem on 2021, and no response from the Adobe team... version 2020 working perfectly... waiting for a solution soon to use the new features

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed the v.22 update.  If I attempt to "Edit in Photoshop" an image from LR, I get:  IOError: General photoshop error occurred.  If I attempt to open an image, any image, from PS, I get:  Could not complete your request because of a program error.

I uninstalled v.21 and it still happened in v.22.  I uninstalled/reinstalled v.22 and it still happens.

Checked event logs and there were no entries for this period of time.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same adobe photoshop error after the update to version 22. I can't even close the program without the error message. It has to be an adobe problem because my previous version worked okay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing same thing. Cannot even close the program without getting that error, much less work on a project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same is happening to me. I was able to work in it a couple of days ago after the version 22 update but now it won't open any files and I can't even close the program. I have that same general program error. Has anything worked for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same as above, It will not even accept images from Bridge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated to PSv22 and I am having the same issues.

Cannot open JPEG images and cannot even close photoshop without using the Task Manager to force it to close.

If this is progress then I dont want it absolutely useless. Cannot even get Adobe to answer correspondance to offer fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're sorry for the program error issue. Could you please try the following workaround: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#ProgramErroropeningfiles

Hope it helps,

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset my preferences, cold boot, turned off Graphics Processor.

I can now open, change, and save an image from LRC and by using File > Browse in Bridge.  I don't have to use task manager to close it anymore.

The problem remains that I cannot open an image using File > Open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried every solution in this conversation and others.  No matter what, PS v22 won't work.  Some of the fixes will correct one thing, but not another.  So, using Revo Uninstaller, I completely removed v22 and went back to v21.

So disappointed.  I really wanted to try the new AI.  Guess I'll wait for a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola, muy buenas a todos.

Verán, tengo un problema, pues luego de la actualización mi Photoshop (ahora 2021) no funciona.
Y es que cuando intento abrir una foto, la que sea y en el formato que sea no me deja y me despliega un cuadro de diálogo que dice "No se ha podido cumplir porque ha habido un error de programa" y no sé qué hacer o cómo solucionarlo, ya lo desinstalé e instalé y no me funciona. 
Espero puedan ayudarme por favor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

Sorry that you're getting an error message while loading Photoshop 2021 that says "could not complete your request because of a program error". 

Would you mind restoring the preferences for Photoshop & see if it helps? See this article for reference: https://t.co/ulJI7cGn1G You may want to backup your settings beforehand: https://t.co/4dX7gkr36D

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines