• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.4 - Missing Save as formats from the menu

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the mentioned version and the formats dropdown list only shows 3 formats: Photoshop (*.PSD;*.PDD;*.PSDT), *.PSB and TIFF (*.TIF;*.TIFF).

jane-e_0-1620929274567.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep the two aligned.

What's new in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Hi All,

We appreciate your feedback on the recent “Save a Copy” change. To address your concerns, we have created two new options in Photoshop 22.4.2 that will enable both revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow and/or omit the addended “copy” when saving as a copy. These options can be found in the File Saving Options section under Preferences > File Handling.

To quickly summarize, you will now have the option to revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow (from before recent changes) on both macOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Hi all

You may already know that flatted file formats have been relocated from the "Save as" menu option to the "Save as Copy" option in Photoshop. To learn more about this workflow update, please refer to the following quick tip: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/learn-how-to-save-all-file-formats-from-photoshop-s-save-as-dialog-quick-tip/td-p/12933468?cgen=ZFN4FD71&mv=other

Or see this video tutorial link

Hope it helps,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 830 Replies 830
New Here ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday it was still good, and now it's not working with any file, here is in example of 2 jpeg leyers, still can't save it in jpeg.

mutiezt.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Dave's answer.

(And before anyone says anything, blame Apple.) lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mónis48431864 ,

Your layers are not supported in JPEGs. You need to choose File > "Save a Copy" (new in PS 22.4) instead of "Save As", as Dave correctly said.

B9142EBA-9A1B-43F3-B8BB-DD0D782508F0.jpeg

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the same psd template file for the last year for graphics on my website. After the update 22.4.1 it won't let me save anything other than photoshop, large document, or tiff. This is completely screwing up my workflow. I've tried everything. Even creating any new file won't let me save other than previously mentioned. I've even tried uninstalling and reinstalling photoshop. What gives Adobe!? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You now have to click Save a Copy which is next to the menu item for the file formats. You can save it as jpg that way, but now you have to remove "copy" from the name. WHo's idea is this. It made things harder and added extra steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHo's idea is this.

By @Fred-Clayjar

Apple. They removed the API that made it possible to strip "-copy" from the filename. With the new API, Photoshop has to present the full filename before entering the dialog. And that name has to contain "-copy" because it is a copy. If it wasn't a copy, your original would be overwritten and lost.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html 

To be clear, this is a deliberate security policy from Apple. It is not a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ferosi5E76 

Choose File > Save a Copy (not Save As) to save as a JPEG or PNG. When Apple made changes to the API and broke the Save As in Photoshop, the developers were left to find a fix that was cross-platform.

“Only supported files that maintain your work will be supported in the Save As command. If the file type you’d like to save isn’t an option, go to Save a Copy and create another version in your desired file type.”

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2021-4.html#save-a-copy 

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm running Windows 10 and using the latest version of Photoshop CC.

Up until today, I was able to save my work in JPG format.

Today, the option doesn't appear.

I did Flatten Image. 
My mode is set to sRGB.  
 I save my files by File > Save As.  When I click to change the format, the JPG as well as other options no longer appear.

I have worked with this image before and never had a problem.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

Thank you in advance for all the help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Save As" now lists only the formats that support all the current properties of the file. All other formats, with limited support, are now moved to "Save A Copy".

This was changed because the Save As jpeg function had already been broken for over a year on the Mac side, since Catalina. Saving over a jpeg resulted in a separate file with "-copy" appended. The programming function to strip "-copy" from the filename had been removed by Apple, and there was no way for Adobe to work around it. The Save As jpeg function was rendered useless by this and had to be totally rewritten.

This is not a bug, but a deliberate policy from Apple.

To be clear, saving a layered/16 bit file as jpeg saved out a copy the whole time. That is important to understand! The jpeg format does not allow 16 bit depth, layers, transparency or alpha channels. That fact was just hidden by Photoshop, by removing "-copy", but with Catalina it was no longer possible and "-copy" would always appear regardless.

Everybody should keep in mind that the direct save to jpeg, from 16 bit/layered files, was introduced in Photoshop CS5 in 2010. Prior to that, it was not possible at all to save directly to jpeg. First you had to remove every property in the file that wasn't supported in the jpeg specification. Only then could you save it. So this is nothing new - but this time you can use Save A Copy.

Platform parity has always been important in Photoshop, for the sake of actions, plugins, tutorials and so on. So it had to be changed in the Windows version as well, even though it never was a problem on Windows. But it may well be in the future, if Microsoft adopts the same policy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. I will give it a try.

Thank you,
Helen Bradshaw

Helen Bradshaw Photography LLC
[Email removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@na59973511 wrote

Everyone should go to the Adobe suggestion form and recommend they un-break the Save As > JPG/PNG feature
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family 

Yes, although it will do no good. But at least some figured out where to go to get Adobe's attention instead of a User to User forum.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@na59973511 wrote:

To be fair, the way the "Adobe Experts" on this forum act makes it not very clear that its a User to User forum. It's not hard to imagine people thinking you're all part of Adobe support.

It isn't clear to some to actually read the release notes or inspect what they are blindly updating before doing so either. 

Anyway there's this:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/bd-p/Using-the-Community?page=1&sort=latest_repli...

AboutTheForum.jpg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@na59973511 wrote:

You do realize some people have Auto Updates on and have never noticed or cared about that before? 

Yes I realize that some users don't understand how to use their products, that auto update exist, or how to read the manual. Or the release notes. Of course this is all Adobe's fault… Sarcasm filter now off.

Some people shouldn't buy software, own dogs, or have children <g>

I think some people enjoy complaining almost as much as they enjoy doing nothing about it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@na59973511 wrote:

You do realize some people have Auto Updates on and have never noticed or cared about that before? 

Seems they noticed and ignored them if we are to believe:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/auto-update-disabled-not-available.html

The option to auto-update an individual app is not available unless you select Auto-update or  Enable Auto Update from Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

The latest update changed the save as feature and now I have to constantly go to the new "Save as Copy",separate menu to save my files. It's hampering my productivity and is redundant. Is there anyway to revert to the old way where it was simply a check box?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The difference between hitting cmd-shift-S or cmd-alt-S seems negligible so what is hampering your productivity? 

Edit: The change seems to be intended to be permanent. 

Though hopefully some further improvements may be possible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps it would help to explain why you sometimes have to use Save a Copy.

Since 22.4, if your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy command. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep them aligned.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

So if you know you are saving to a format that supports all your document content use Save As (Shift+Ctrl+S). If you intend to save to a format that will not support all the document content then use Save a Copy (Alt+Ctrl+S)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Save As" now lists only the formats that support all the current properties of the file, thus preserving all your work. All other formats, with limited support, are now moved to "Save A Copy".

This was changed because the Save As jpeg function had already been broken for over a year on the Mac side, since Catalina. Saving over a jpeg resulted in a separate file with "-copy" appended. Apple did not want to change this, and there was no way for Adobe to work around it. The Save As jpeg function was terminally broken and finished, and had to be totally rewritten.

To be clear, saving a layered/16 bit file as jpeg saved out a copy the whole time. That is important to understand! The jpeg format does not allow 16 bit or layers. That fact was just hidden by Photoshop, but with Catalina it was no longer possible to hide.

Everybody should keep in mind that the direct save to jpeg, from 16 bit/layered files, was introduced in Photoshop CS5 in 2010. Prior to that, it was not possible at all to save directly to jpeg. First you had to remove every property in the file that wasn't supported in the jpeg specification. Only then could you save it. So this is nothing new - but this time you can use Save A Copy.

Platform parity has always been a sacred principle in Photoshop, so it had to be changed in the Windows version as well, even though it never was a problem on Windows.

(Edit- sorry, Dave, not to repeat what you're saying, but I finally managed to get all this written up as a macro. So now I can just hit every thread with this as they come up 😉 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No matter how many times you repeat the facts, a group of ranting posters will fail to understand that no one forced them to update either their OS or their version of Photoshop.

"I have a great distaste for people who always find something to complain about, because life is too short. If they took that same energy they use for complaining and finding fault, and instead put it toward something constructive, they could rebuild the world." -Sandy Kaplan 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could  Programs a script that basically works like Photoshop 'Savs As" worked in the past. The script would have a different UI than  good old "Save AS"a Photoshop which used a system dialog.  The script would have a ScripUI interface quite like Adobe Script "Export Layers to Files. Save the Document in the image file format you want to save. In fact I use  code from Adobe  'Export Layer to Files' creating the script for my personal use.

Change the title in the dialog  to Save As and process the document. It will be a Plug-in Script.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As has been explained to you several times now, in various threads where your posts are now bordering on spamming, Adobe like any other developer has to work with the APIs of the operating system.  When those changed on the Mac, leading to many complaints in the forums, Adobe had to change Photoshop and sensibly introduced Save a Copy. Introducing the change on Windows was technically optional but keeping parity between the platform versions is important for users who use both platforms and for developers of plug ins and actions. 

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Can you point out The part(s) that's not true in my statements'

Yes

Apple's operating system was inadequate or faulty

No, Apple made a deliberate and considered change to their operating system. This change meant that adding or removing 'copy' during the Save process to prevent overwrites was no longer an option. Adobe had to change the process that used those APIs in Photoshop.

'Adobe's solution was to remove the feature completely

Again no, when saving to a format such as jpeg which did not support the file content, since CS5 the saving as a copy happened in the background during the Save process as did the decision to add copy or not.  That decision is now up front and, as the filename now has to be decided before using the saving routines of the operating system, the sensible decision was made to add it to all in the Save a Copy menu. If not, it would have to be removed from all and risk overwrites. This was not about removing a feature, it is just up front and visible now.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No lies - no sugar coating - so keep it civil or risk a ban. I am not cheerleading anything.

Plain and simply put (again) -  On the current Mac OS Adobe can no longer choose to add or remove "Copy" once the Save APIs have been called in the operating system. They have to do it before or not at all. Not at all risks overwriting files so they chose to do it before using Save a Copy. 

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thinking about this problem, I'm surprised they didn't solve it with the Apple method, which is pop up a dialog to confirm the user is okay with an overwrite to a file. Or better yet a checkbox saying "user is well aware of the program making a change to the filename, and will accept all concequences of change from now on" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see some value in that.

You can raise feature requests at the link below , where they will be seen by Adobe staff.
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines