• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.4 - Missing Save as formats from the menu

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the mentioned version and the formats dropdown list only shows 3 formats: Photoshop (*.PSD;*.PDD;*.PSDT), *.PSB and TIFF (*.TIF;*.TIFF).

jane-e_0-1620929274567.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep the two aligned.

What's new in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Hi All,

We appreciate your feedback on the recent “Save a Copy” change. To address your concerns, we have created two new options in Photoshop 22.4.2 that will enable both revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow and/or omit the addended “copy” when saving as a copy. These options can be found in the File Saving Options section under Preferences > File Handling.

To quickly summarize, you will now have the option to revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow (from before recent changes) on both macOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Hi all

You may already know that flatted file formats have been relocated from the "Save as" menu option to the "Save as Copy" option in Photoshop. To learn more about this workflow update, please refer to the following quick tip: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/learn-how-to-save-all-file-formats-from-photoshop-s-save-as-dialog-quick-tip/td-p/12933468?cgen=ZFN4FD71&mv=other

Or see this video tutorial link

Hope it helps,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 830 Replies 830
New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Esta acontecendo a mesma coisa com o meu para windows. Não tem mais opções como na versão anterior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you at least make a it a setting to NOT put the word "COPY" in the file name?  Please Please Please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the core of the whole issue. Apple removed the API that allowed Photoshop to strip "-copy" from the filename. With the new API, Photoshop is forced to finalize the filename before entering the Save dialog. That filename has to contain "-copy", because it is a copy. If it wasn't a copy, your original file would have to be overwritten as a flat 8 bit file to satisfy the jpeg specification.

And no, Photoshop can't just write its own filename into the dialog. You can do that, an application cannot, not on its own. This is basic IT security.

This is not a bug or mistake, but a deliberate security policy from Apple. Microsoft may well follow suit and adopt the same policy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is just removed by moderator stupid [removed by moderator]. It adds an extra step into the workflow and makes everything more difficult. It it a terrible idea....just terrible. NOT A FAN!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one forced you to upgrade; roll back to an older verson. 

And watch your language around here! This is a user to user forum, your angry rants and language are not appropriate and can only get you kicked off the forums. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so Apple needs the word "copy" included? But I am a PC user and I when I downloaded Adobe CC I had to indicate my sustem was a PC and not MAC.  I am not a computer person but it appears there are two systems, one which operates on a MAC and another that operates on a PC.  Please explain to me in simple terms why my PC is being affected by a MAC change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@xodin49 wrote:

OK so Apple needs the word "copy" included? But I am a PC user and I when I downloaded Adobe CC I had to indicate my sustem was a PC and not MAC.  I am not a computer person but it appears there are two systems, one which operates on a MAC and another that operates on a PC.  Please explain to me in simple terms why my PC is being affected by a MAC change.

It's been explained multiple times; parity.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain to me in simple terms why my PC is being affected by a MAC change.

By @xodin49

Platform parity has always been important in Photoshop, for the sake of actions, plugins, tutorials, etc. When Apple or Microsoft changes their OS, Photoshop changes on both platforms.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe,

What is the point of "Save As" now? Why would I want to "Save As" a PSD that is already a PSD? Also, Why are you adding "copy" to the filename. Why did you remove the file formats from "Save As"? This might be the dumbest update I have ever seen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the following post:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2021-4.html#save-a-copy 

This was due to an Apple OS API change that forced Adobe to make significant changes to the Save and Save As functions. They made it a consistent change on Windows to match.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok the do not be consistent. let Apple users keep they wonderful OS as they want, but the majority of us. just keep the save as as always. as a +15 years using PS in PC it is not working for me when you make things like this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@AlbertVerdugo wrote:

Ok the do not be consistent. let Apple users keep they wonderful OS as they want, but the majority of us. just keep the save as as always. as a +15 years using PS in PC it is not working for me when you make things like this

Not going to happen. 

As for +15 years, some of us were running Photoshop as far back as 1990, when there wasn't a Windows version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using PS for over 20 years and the new changes they made in regards to Save as Copy, and Replacing not replacing, become very frustrating and time consuming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely agree ! My workflow is now much slower ... When I need PSD and JPG I have to use save as ... then remove that stupid suffix "edited" than I have to export as JPG ... when I am saving as copy then it adds two suffixes editend and copy .... Hate that ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, This is a user to user support forum. To provide feedback and suggestions about what you desire from Adobe, you should go here and comment after selecting the appropriate product:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/categories/products/5f5f2090785c1f1e6cc40864

Second, no one forced anyone to update either their OS or version of Photoshop. You hate it? Do something about it; ranting to other users here is pointless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg calm down xD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes another clueless comment. "Apple's OS was inadequate or faulty"

Um, how about no. Apple made a security change that meant Adobe's kludge of Save As no longer worked.

Adobe probably never should have implemented their "clever" Save As. It was bound to break eventually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also very much dislike this change in the latest Photoshop! Useless and confusing!... Go back to "Normal"!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I retouh professionally and when I would save a file to be sent to a client, I used to just hit Shift-Command-S and save the file into a 'Finals' folder without layers. This way the name stays the same but its also a different file in a different location. Now I have to remember to hit "Save As Copy" before I select the 'Finals' folder and manually remove "copy" from the file name. Why make this process more convoluted? Why try to fix a problem that never existed? Stupid, Adobe. Stupid. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple removed the API that allowed Photoshop to strip "-copy" from the filename. With the new API, Photoshop is forced to finalize the filename before entering the Save dialog. That filename has to contain "-copy", because it is a copy. If it wasn't a copy, your original file would have to be overwritten as a flat 8 bit file to satisfy the jpeg specification.

This is not a bug or mistake, but a deliberate security policy from Apple. Adobe didn't do this because they wanted to, they did it because they had to. The old way wouldn't work anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not agree Adobe has done worst in the past. This is not the first time Adobe has changes all users work flows and most likely will not be the last time Adobe changes all users work flows.

For example in 22.0 Adobe broke the line tool a few updates later Adobe provided a line tool that is not as good as the line tool in Photoshop version prior to Photoshop 2021.   The there was the reversal if the Transform tool.  ESC commit text not cancel text change.  I think we can count on Adobe changing our work flows in the future.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not agree that Apple changed the API. OK, disagreement duly noted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I agree that Adobe change  Photoshop Save As operation and we can work with the change. For Adobe added Save a Copy.  On Windows  I can still work with Document saveAs via photoshop scripting.  The Change adobe made did not brake  my Photoshop scripts.  The change may have changes some Batch actions into none batch able actions.   Two negative.  Changed  work flow and changed action operation.  Anything Apple changes is not on my PC. There are no Apple API on my machine it a PC...

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am opening a photo in JPG and when I am going to close it, it won't let me save it in JPG, it saves it in .psd and it doesn't give me the jpg option. What can I fix this situation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines