• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.4 - Missing Save as formats from the menu

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the mentioned version and the formats dropdown list only shows 3 formats: Photoshop (*.PSD;*.PDD;*.PSDT), *.PSB and TIFF (*.TIF;*.TIFF).

jane-e_0-1620929274567.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep the two aligned.

What's new in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Hi All,

We appreciate your feedback on the recent “Save a Copy” change. To address your concerns, we have created two new options in Photoshop 22.4.2 that will enable both revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow and/or omit the addended “copy” when saving as a copy. These options can be found in the File Saving Options section under Preferences > File Handling.

To quickly summarize, you will now have the option to revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow (from before recent changes) on both macOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Hi all

You may already know that flatted file formats have been relocated from the "Save as" menu option to the "Save as Copy" option in Photoshop. To learn more about this workflow update, please refer to the following quick tip: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/learn-how-to-save-all-file-formats-from-photoshop-s-save-as-dialog-quick-tip/td-p/12933468?cgen=ZFN4FD71&mv=other

Or see this video tutorial link

Hope it helps,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 839 Replies 839
Explorer ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so this is an issue only when saving 16 bit layered files to jpg file format... and jpeg file format?  I use other image manipulation applications on a MAC, LOGIST 4, Affinity Designer, Pixelmator Pro and none append "-copy" when I save a jpg or jpeg file... are you saying that Adobe can no longer strip the "-copy" when placed in the field, or that Adobe must place the "-copy" word when I save a file as a jpg or jpeg file?  I am now using the Export option to save a jpg file and I get no "-copy" appended automatically when I Export as a jpg file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not agree either. Apple Mac could save an original Jpeg file from a layered Photoshop document.  A new Apple Mac File system changes dose not allow mac users to overwrite  this originals jpeg it write a  jpeg file with the file name with a " copy" suffix appended.  Now Adobe has made a change neither PC or Mac machine users  can create the  original jpeg file from a  Photoshop layer documents without flatten the document first.  Welcome to The Twilight Zone we have stepped back to an ancient Photoshop operation.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is it with Adobe that it's always looking at others and their users for reasons why the software doesn't perform well?

Why does literally NO other app on the planet have this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Save a Copy 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the worst adjustment ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again: this is where you should say that:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html 

As for who cares about mac - about 50% of the Photoshop users. Breaking platform equality in Photoshop has much more far reaching implications than you realize. It wasn't on the table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's only 'slightly' annoying and frustrating that now this argument of equality is used when it appears to be convenient, while between the Adobe apps breaking equality is celebrated like there's no tomorrow. So many shortcuts, workflows, menu's, preferences, etc are very different between PS, AI, ID, AE.. which makes the whole suite rather counter intuitive. What is the reason for that, one might ask..

I wish Adobe would step into the 21st century already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Equality between apps is an issue I agree. It is frustrating that things work differently in different apps.

But here we are talking about the same application on different platforms. Let's not make that diverge also.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeahhhhhhhhh... except Adobe spent a bunch of effort making common UI, keyboard shortcuts, etc and everyone screamed about that too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only application on my computer where - copy is appended when I save a file.  Remove the -copy from the save process completely if this can't be resolved in any other way.  I am smart enough to append something if I want a "copy" of the file.  Which I do any way... I don't need adobe assuming I want a "copy"...never understood why "cop" was appended anyway.

I have found a work around to this issue to make it somewhat more pleaseant to save a a jpg file after I save my psd file to the computer.   You can use the Export option and ignore Save as and Save as Copy options.  The un-needed "-copy" is append automatically to the saved file name unless you remove "-copy" from your file name.

Appears that Save as and Save as Copy are exactly the same save process and make absolutely NO SENSE... after you save your psd file, try using the Export command to save the jpg file... is working well for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only application on my computer where - copy is appended when I save a file.

By @Shanghai Road

You simply don't understand.

• It's not appended when you save a file. It's appended when you save a copy of the file.
  • It's a copy because the jpeg specification does not support layers or 16 bit depth (and a bunch of other things).
  • The previous save-as-jpeg routine stripped "-copy" from the filename, but it was still a copy.
  • With Catalina, Apple removed the API (application programming interface) that made this possible. Without, there's no way to do it.
  • Other simple and basic applications make files that already comply with the limited jpeg specification. So the whole question is moot.

Oh, why bother with facts....

<sigh>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's BS!

Not even Apples own Preview.app ads ”copy” to the filename, when saving a layered image ”Save as” a jpg.

Off course Adobe can find a way to (optionally) remove ”copy”.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You forget that they did just that, since 2010, for over ten years. They did find a way.

Preview is hardly Photoshop. If you think that, maybe you should use that instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that you by now are tired of defending this issue.

No need to behave unprofessional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I could have spared that last remark, that was uncalled for. Sorry.

But yes, I am tired of defending this, because I'm not even defending it, I'm just explaining the facts. And they are undisputed: 1, the API was removed by Apple, 2 platform parity is important. That's it.

I don't even have any opinions beyond that. I just try to live with the reality as it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse wrote:

But yes, I am tired of defending this, because I'm not even defending it, I'm just explaining the facts. And they are undisputed: 1, the API was removed by Apple, 2 platform parity is important. That's it.

You've also been taking a lot of personal abuse from folks as you've been explaining the undisputed facts, D_Fosse. This is where we all need to remember the saying, "Don't shoot the messenger!"

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will the messenger please forward the concerns of so many professional users, to the developers – so that they can consider reimplement the workaround? (Or find a new way if necessary)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Molnfab wrote:

Will the messenger please forward the concerns ... to the developers 

We are users just like you, and you can do that yourself.

If you want to leave a message for Adobe, you can do that here where the developers will see it:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/save-as-formats-have-disappeared-photoshop-22... 

To leave a message for Apple, you can do that here:
https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html 

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh … Pardon me if I thought ”Adobe Community Professional” meant that you had some sort of connection to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Molnfab wrote:

Oh … Pardon me if I thought ”Adobe Community Professional” meant that you had some sort of connection to Adobe.

No! This is a user to user support forum. To provide feedback and suggestions about what you desire from Adobe, you should go here and comment after selecting the appropriate product:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/categories/products/5f5f2090785c1f1e6cc40864

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Ok, I could have spared that last remark, that was uncalled for. Sorry.«

@D Fosse , I think if that poster assumes their »That's BS!« qualifies as professional in comparisson to your post then you really do not need to beat yourself up about it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I don't call myself a ”Adobe Community Professional” do I? 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jane and Christoph. I do try to keep it together, but outright denial of reality is hard to let pass. But then, this is, after all, the post-factual society. Reality is what you want it to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you were restrained there  @D Fosse 

Maybe an independent account of the facts may help - it even includes links to the Apple developer notes

https://petapixel.com/2021/05/18/photoshops-save-as-function-has-changed-on-mac-heres-why/

This part extracted from that article sums it up "......the change appears to be something Adobe chose to do since Apple’s developer notes are not nearly as public-facing as Adobe applications ......"   My bold emphasis.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preview uses "Export" to get other formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines