P: Save as formats have disappeared Photoshop 22.4

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the mentioned version and the formats dropdown list only shows 3 formats: Photoshop (*.PSD;*.PDD;*.PSDT), *.PSB and TIFF (*.TIF;*.TIFF).

jane-e_0-1620929274567.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Adobe Community Professional , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021
If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep the two aligned. What's new in Photoshop Dave

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021
Hi All, We appreciate your feedback on the recent “Save a Copy” change. To address your concerns, we have created two new options in Photoshop 22.4.2 that will enable both revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow and/or omit the addended “copy” when saving as a copy. These options can be found in the File Saving Options section under Preferences > File Handling. To quickly summarize, you will now have the option to revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow (from before recent changes) on both macOS...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional , Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021
Make sure you are running the current version 22.4.2. Then in Preferences > File Handling, check the box Enable legacy "Save As".

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional , Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021
Go to Preferences-> file handling , then Enable Legacy "Save As " 

Translate

Translate
replies 800 Replies 800
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you using? Are you saving to a synced folder (OneDrive, iCloud or similar)?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS 11.2.23. Someone share the solution, just go to preference and change setting on file handling. Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SoftTaco    "Now I install previous version, at least I solve the "2" problem."

Or, in the current version do what Ged posted above, and tick the options in Preferences > File Handling to revert Photoshop to the old behaviour

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest photoshops and this one 22.4.3 doesn't have JPG as an option in the "save as" like others used to. it only gives you, psd, large document, PDF or TIFF. So we are still looking for an answer on this question since the "save as" is NOT the answer. If anyone knows, appreciated. Because yes, the ONLY way to save the JPG is going to "Export as" now and it automatically saves as rgb even if you uncheck "rgb" like the original post says....

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK! I just figured it out, so basically the new "save as" only gives those 4 options, but to the right of the "format" area dropdown menu, there is a "save a copy" button, when you click this, then it gives you all the "older" extensions, jpg included so you can save as a CMYK JPG.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change back to the previous way of saving in Photoshop preferences if you prefer.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not seen that.  I've checked the box for using 'legacy save as' dialog, but it still only gives me the 4 options in the 'save as' box.  The only way I've found I can get to the rest of the list is by switching to 'save a copy'.  Is there something I'm missing?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disreguard my last post.  It looks like the program glitched and didn't save my preferences.  It's switched back now and Ctrl+Shift+S brings up the correct dialog box with all the file type options as before.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, please return save behaviour to the way it used to be. If I try to workaround this ridiculus change by rebinding save a copy to ctrl+shift+s then it automatically appends "copy" to my filename which I then have to delete. This is severely crippling my workflow of being able to quickly save a .tga of a game texture I'm working on, something that needs to be done often to be able to preview the texture in a game engine. The only way to work quickly now is to make my own macro or something and re-train my muscle memory to use keybind I assign to a macro. There should at least be an option to revert to the way things were in preferences.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old news (and rant):

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2021-4.html#save-a-copy

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences-> file handling , then Enable Legacy "Save As " 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently when I perform a "Save As" or  "Save A Copy" in Photoshop, it adds a -Edit to my filename.  This is new and has never happened with previous versions. I have not changed my workflow.  Prior to the recent update, I could export from LR classic into PS by selecting "Edit in Adobe Photoshop." I would then make my my edits in PS, flatten the image and then use the "Save As" command to save the file to the directory location I desired (not the same directory as the original raw file).  When I do this with the latest version of photoshop, -Edit is automatically added to the end of my file name.  I am performing the same steps that I have always performed: export from LR, edit in photoshop, and then select Save As.  Previously, there was no -Edit.  How to I get rid of this "-Edit" extension without having to manually delete it?  I tried to change my export settings in PS to uncheck the "Save As to Original Folder" thinking it had something to do with LR classics catalog pointing to the directory of the raw file.  However, that feature doesn't do anything different regardless if the box is checked or not.  In fact, it pulls up the last directory accessed regardless if the box is checked or not (completely separate issue than I described above).  Thank you for your help.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The save and save as functions have changed with the new Photoshop update.

This was due to Apple OS API changes they made it consistent on both Mac and Win going forward.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2021-4.html#save-a-copy 

Kevin Stohlmeyer
Adobe Community Professional/Adobe Certified Instructor

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  I have been using the save a copy feature and that works for me; however, I do not like that it adds the "-Edit" onto the back of my file name? Do you know of a way to not let it do that?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There isn't option in preferences for such thing, as far as I know, if that is what are you looking for.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just struggled with this and found the solution in case you haven't found it already.

Within LR go to Prefrecnes > External Editing > then down at the bottom there's a setting for "Edit Extyernally File Naming". That's what's adding the "Edit" to your filenames in photoshop so just change the Template to Filename and that will get rid of the Edit.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  Exactly what I was looking for!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another dister feature from Adobe thanks a lot you seen to mess around with every update and belive you are making the package better. This seems to be the way of adobe now we are all subscription based whats wrong withn you guys dont you use the software as a proffesional can anyone send me a link to complain about this stuff!!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user-to-user support forum, you are not addressing Adobe on here.

You can change back to the previous way of saving in Photoshop preferences if you prefer.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your 'rants' are falling on deaf ears! This a user to user support forum. To provide feedback and suggestions about what you desire from Adobe, you should go to this URL and comment after selecting the appropriate product line:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/categories/products/5f5f2090785c1f1e6cc40864

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long time user here... I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the best user of Photoshop, but I use it in my print shop to process client files. Now, I often need to send flattened PDF proofs to clients while retaining my original working files. For me, this has always involved going to 'Save As..' and unselecting layers in the dialogues.

But with newer versions, I keep running into an issue where I go through this process, and continue to work on the master file. But when I go to save my layered PSD as the same filename.psd, I end up with a flattened, single layered file.

What is the utility in having a layered program create unlayered files automatically, especially when I can do that manually through the flatten action? Especially when this has only been an issue in my workflow for the past year? (I am not sure which version initiated the change, as I'm just noticing it with a project in the last two months.)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save (and various Save As iterations) changed a few times recently, this may help:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change back to the previous way of saving in Photoshop preferences.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For som,e reason I lost the ability to save as jpeg like I have been doing for the past 20 years.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines