• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.4 - Missing Save as formats from the menu

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the mentioned version and the formats dropdown list only shows 3 formats: Photoshop (*.PSD;*.PDD;*.PSDT), *.PSB and TIFF (*.TIF;*.TIFF).

jane-e_0-1620929274567.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep the two aligned.

What's new in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Hi All,

We appreciate your feedback on the recent “Save a Copy” change. To address your concerns, we have created two new options in Photoshop 22.4.2 that will enable both revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow and/or omit the addended “copy” when saving as a copy. These options can be found in the File Saving Options section under Preferences > File Handling.

To quickly summarize, you will now have the option to revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow (from before recent changes) on both macOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Hi all

You may already know that flatted file formats have been relocated from the "Save as" menu option to the "Save as Copy" option in Photoshop. To learn more about this workflow update, please refer to the following quick tip: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/learn-how-to-save-all-file-formats-from-photoshop-s-save-as-dialog-quick-tip/td-p/12933468?cgen=ZFN4FD71&mv=other

Or see this video tutorial link

Hope it helps,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 839 Replies 839
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Conrad C wrote:

The main improvement in many other competitors is that they don't inconveniently append Copy to the filename, but otherwise, the way Photoshop changed actually catches up to where more modern applications already are, so switching away from Photoshop may not necessarily get you the old workflow you want.

Which why again, I'll suggest Adobe consider either a preference to do this or, only append Copy (if possible) if the user saves the new document into the same folder. But depending on the OS and user, getting the word "copy" to automatically be removed after the fact is simple. 

Not that any of this will convince some not to throw out the baby with the bathwater. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which why again, I'll suggest Adobe consider either a preference to do this or, only append Copy (if possible) if the user saves the new document into the same folder. But depending on the OS and user, getting the word "copy" to automatically be removed after the fact is simple. 

By @TheDigitalDog

But that's exactly the core of it: you can't remove "copy". That's what started this whole miserable situation.

Or rather - you can, obviously, but the application can't, not on its own. Which makes sense from a security standpoint.

If it wasn't for this blasted little "copy" everything could have gone on as before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHAT'S GOING ON? CAN'T SAVE A PDF WITHOUT SAVING AS A COPY....LET'S GO ADOBE YOUR BETTER THAN THIS. WHY CHANGE SOMETHING THAT HASN'T BEEN TOUCHED IN AGES. IT'S NOT BROKE, DON'T MESS WITH IT!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a change to the UI in the last couple of Versions of PS.  To most of us that have been saving PDF's without the "Save As" level, it's not convenient, but I'm sure there's a good reason to have 2 different menus to save.   I agree it wasn't broke.  

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know this change of the UI became necessary because Apple removed an API in macOS 10.15 (Catalina). 

Adobe has used this API to manipulate the "Save As" dialog. 

It would not have been necessary for Windows users, but Adobe try to keep the software operation as the same as possible on all platforms.  

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when companies make changes to thier operating systems, Adobe will

make changes so it works on all platforms both PC and Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble due to the change in the workflow with Photoshop 22.4. You can check out more info about the change, here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-224-save-as-formats-have-disappeare...

You can also check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2021-4.html#save-a-copy

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tadh1223 wrote:

IT'S NOT BROKE, DON'T MESS WITH IT!

It was broke. So this is the fix. 

Now in terms of the cap-locks key being broken...  <g>.

See the correct answer on the first page, there's a new way to work with "Save As/Save a Copy". Again, to fix an OS issue that was forced upon Adobe. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, What is the previous version of PS without this new Save Copy feature? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reverted back to 22.3.1 to get the old Save As back, but I have heard others say that even when they reverted back to that version the new Save As Copy remained, so you may have to experiment with even earlier versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CMD42187 wrote:

I reverted back to 22.3.1 to get the old Save As back, but I have heard others say that even when they reverted back to that version the new Save As Copy remained, so you may have to experiment with even earlier versions.

Depending on the OS....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using version 20.x and that still has the old SaveAs options.  Get the Direct Download below.

https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2019-direct-download-links.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

V 22.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great answer to the question! Thank you for clearing up WHY this happened.  But this IS AWFUL LOL.  I can't tell you how many times I was able to press Shift+Control+S in Photoshop, click Tab (to jump to the file type dropdown) > click 'J' for "Jpg" and literally do the whole thing in 1.5 seconds.  Now having to go over and click SAVE A COPY is a major and deeply annoying workflow change. Please do what you can to make it not so!!!  Thank you again for the explaination. I understand why, but hoping you can go back to the way it was. 

thanks for your work!

adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Window user how is Adobe going to replaces Windows UI with Apple UI. So we can hide Photoshop window frame and run multiple version of Photoshop concurrently.  I have always had to use two PC to compare two versions of Photoshop.  That was the only Mac feature I  wished Windows had.  Adobe seem to be migrating all to latest Mac  Will Adobe Fix scripting so  script will no longer need different code for PC and Mac?  Adobe need to update the list of known issues.  I still see users here having different issues on PC and Mac.    Adobe I believe has bitten off more than the can handle.   Photoshop 2020 still works well.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I call bull on this one. Platform parity going the other direction from PC > Mac has NEVER been important to Adobe. 

Example: Windows disallowed thumbnail previews in save dialogs (or so Adobe claims) so you  can no longer see what a PSD file looks like before opening it up in windows. They went and changed the whole saving structure to strip this out of windows. Yet Apple users still get to bask in the glory of seeing thumbnail previews. 

So here Adobe's excuse for this change is a little thin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're missing the point about platform parity, which is functional equality. They have to work the same way. Yes, of course there will be a number of small differences, we all know that. I'm a Windows guy myself, always have been, but I have no problems understanding this.

The Photoshop user base is split roughly 50/50 Mac/Windows. Needlessly alienating 50% of its customers is not something any company does if they want to stay in business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point the number posts in here about the thumbnail viewing problem, and posts closed by Adobe as "solved" (which is to look for 3rd party solutions) must total in thousands now. It's not a "small" difference. 

I don't see how reducing the quality of the product needlessly in the name of pairity would alienate anyone. And if it was a large concern it already has alienated so many along the way. Why start now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Save dialogue uses Operating system APIs so the only way to preview a thumbnail for a filetype not directly supported by Microsoft in Windows is to install a codec for that filetype.

As for parity, many users, organisations, and developers of actions and plug ins use both platforms. So it is important that when a menu item is used on one platform (e.g. Save, Image Size, Duplicate.........etc) it does the same on the other.

For the record, I am also a Windows user.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After inquiring with Microsoft on these matters this has also been shown to be an out-and-out lie perpetrated by Adobe to cover for their unwillingness seriously look into the save dialog. It's funny how every program on earth can manage to provide thumbnails inside an open file menu, including Illustrator for windows... just not Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jmyler wrote:

After inquiring with Microsoft on these matters this has also been shown to be an out-and-out lie perpetrated by Adobe to cover for their unwillingness seriously look into the save dialog. It's funny how every program on earth can manage to provide thumbnails inside an open file menu, including Illustrator for windows... just not Photoshop. 

Ah, so the Photoshop team just wants to punish you.

The absurd is the last refuge of a pundit without an argument.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please take a moment and critically think about the words I'm saying. 

I'm not thinking that Photoshop is punishing me, and I think it's a weaker argument to call the points that I'm coming up with  "Absurd".

I'm saying there should be parity down the line if  Adobe wants to tout that as a reason for matching PC versions of  Photoshop to Mac versions. If they take away functionality from PC for a deficit on the Mac side, why not do the same and revoke the ability to see PSD thumbnails on a Mac? They say that Microsoft doesn't allow thumbnail previews as of windows 2000, yet never  moved to make their program the same on the Mac side. And here in this case we have Mac not allowing the deletion of the word 'copy' and they're all for changing the PC version. 

I'd argue that my arguement is actually a 1:1 comparison of Adobe taking a stance in one case and not the other. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jmyler wrote:

Please take a moment and critically think about the words I'm saying. 

I'm not thinking that Photoshop is punishing me, and I think it's a weaker argument to call the points that I'm coming up with  "Absurd".

The facts behind how the product behaves has been provided over and over again. It is absurd not to face the facts. You have of course ignored the massive differences in the file support of Illustrator (and Word), the former you brought up, and Photoshop. But it's moot. This is the new behavior and it isn't going to change if and until Apple alters their OS. 

Worse, it is absurd to rant here in a User to User forum, and just a bit less absurd to do so in a forum where Adobe keeps track of the comments. But you seem to have a lot of time to complain about this. 

The only thing complaining does is convince other people that you are not in control.” Anonymous

I do wish this silly thread would be shut down, nothing more can be said that will alter the facts. It is now, nothing more than CWOBaT (colossal waste of bandwidth and time).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jmyler wrote:

It's funny how every program on earth can manage to provide thumbnails inside an open file menu, including Illustrator for windows... just not Photoshop. 

And now for the need for critical thinking:

Formats that Photoshop can support:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/supported-file-formats-photoshop-cs6.html

Formats that Illustrator can support:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/supported-file-formats-illustrator.html

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”
Aldous Huxley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It's funny how every program on earth can manage to provide thumbnails inside an open file menu"

Which Windows app can display PSD thumbnails in its file open/save dialogue? Photoshop does display thumbnails for filetypes supported by Windows.*

I've just opened Illustrator to check - the same file thumbnails are shown in Illustrator as in Photoshop

* Provided of course that you have clicked at the top right of the open/save dialogue box and set it to show thumbnails.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines