Paint along a path — alignment option?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I watched the Dave Cross tutorial on YouTube "Paint along a path in Photoshop" and tried it out.
It seems to only center along the path. Is there any alignment option to paint along either side of the path? Looking for something akin to this:Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 2.54.11 PM.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide us more info please. If you want to paint along path using Brush tool then options on your screenshot are not available. Above options are for Stroke, I believe, can not be used with Brush tool. If my guess is wrong please post some screenshot of what are you trying to do with more details.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, your guess is accurate, so I guess the option is not available and I should make this an enhancement request.

If you're curious as to my specific use case, it is for more easily creating the Star Trek LCARS swepts. I came up with a method whereby I calculate the inner curve and create a brush shape which would then trace the outer curve as I drag it adjacent to the inner curve. With that generated template I can then easily make the bezier for the outer curve. (I wrote an AppleScript to do the calculations for me based on the widths of the "legs" of the swept.) I've previously done it freehand, but it recently occurred to me that there ought to be an organic, geometrical relationship between inner and outer curve (I imagine Mr. Okuda probably never had time to delve into that; I'm just a little OCD), so I'm trying to develop the most efficient way to embody that.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots? 

Have you considered using Illustrator? 

As a vector oriented application its Paths Stoke control is naturally different than Photoshop’s »Stroke Path«. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I cannot afford Illustrator. I wish Adobe would bundle Ps and Ai instead of Ps and Lr, because I have zero use for Lr. Oh well.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you post screenshots/examples of the effect you want to achieve? 

Have you tried using Shape Layers? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a screenshot showing the brush shape I used, the result of dragging the brush manually (not too terrible, really), and the final curve I drew using that as a template.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don’t you use Shape Layers for these Shapes? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

use shape layers in what manner, exactly? Please describe.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2022-04-27 at 08.16.05.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just a random "rounded corner" though.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you would post meaningful examples it might be possible to assess what you want to achieve. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I explained it thoroughly

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I failed to see meaningful screenshots or sketches. 

Did I overlook something? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I posted a screenshot earlier

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines