• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pasting a transparent image over photo but black/white boxes where should be transparent

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've downloaded from the adobe stock images that says is transparent.  When I drag it over the photo I see black & white boxes around what should be transparent bits.  I'm using a starburst so only want the star not the surrounding box to appear.

What am I doing wrong to accomplish this?

Cameron25423603axh5_0-1658988654855.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide meaningful information. 

What is the file format of the image? 

If it is ai or eps did you open the image in Illustrator to hide the background? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried AI directly into photoshop with place embedded over the top of where I wanted the image to appear.  I also tried file > New > background = transparent and then pasted the AI file in and same with the original image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image itself I'm trying to paste over is a tiff, for the transparent one tried AI and jpg embed option and also a copy/paste

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Say what? 

In which file formats is the image available? 

Please open the image itself (ai in Illustrator naturally, tif in Photoshop) and post a screenshot including the Layers Panel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JPGs don't support transparency. Adobe Stock vector art has a .jpg preview which shows what it would look like against Photoshop's transparency checkerboard. You need to open it in Illustrator, and save it in a format like .png, which supports transparency, and then open that in Photoshop..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the grey squares, this looks like a screenshot and not a transparent image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Cameron25423603axh5 

• Open the ai/eps download in Illustrator or another vector application
  • Hide the checkerboard pattern object in the Layers panel
     (no one has said this step yet)  as @c.pfaffenbichler said in his first post 
  • Bring the image into Photoshop with drag & drop or copy & right-click to paste (5 options for paste)

Note that there is a dark checkerboard background. This indicates that the Illustrator effects that have been applied for the glow will only work against a dark background.

Bringing the file into PS directly will give you a flattened image.

EDITED

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hide the checkerboard pattern object in the Layers panel (no one has said this step yet)

I thought I had indicated as much with:

»If it is ai or eps did you open the image in Illustrator to hide the background?«

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies, @c.pfaffenbichler , I read too fast early this morning and have edited my post! 😊

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No sweat; I probably failed to describe the process clearly enough anyway. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ahh ok thanks, I'm a photographer and retoucher and didn't know would have to do that portion in Illustrator for what I'm trying to achieve.  Thought I could just put it into PS so will give it a go as never used it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines