Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'Path options' greyed out?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all

Amazed to see we FINALLY have coloured paths on photoshop... although, it doesn't work for me! the options seemed to be greyed out, unable to change anything!

Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 13.39.02.png
Help much appreciated

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Dom said he did that, Dave.

And Dom, I can't seem to do anything to get the commands to gray out like yours. Unless Dave sees something we don't, the next steps I would take would be:

a.) reset preferences
PS delete prefs.png

b.) uninstall/reinstall

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to tell what you have going on with the closely-cropped screen shot, but I think you have the Pen tool selected, and the mode is set to Path or Shape? How about resetting that tool (or all tools) by right clicking the tool icon at the far left of the Options bar?

Screenshot 2017-10-24 08.03.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi - have pen tool selected, and on paths! tried resetting, nothing changes

Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 15.26.21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the tool

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dom said he did that, Dave.

And Dom, I can't seem to do anything to get the commands to gray out like yours. Unless Dave sees something we don't, the next steps I would take would be:

a.) reset preferences
PS delete prefs.png

b.) uninstall/reinstall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mistake Barb - hadn't spotted that he had reset the tool.

No I don't know of a setting that would grey out the path options. So if the tool reset didn't work - I would indeed go for a preference reset

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes! reseting preferences worked - i now have glorious coloured paths! waited years for this

many thanks guys

Screen Shot 2017-10-24 at 16.14.26.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay! I'm so glad they are working for you now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Barb,

I have tried both the options --- reset tool and reset preferences, I am still unable to fix this issue. Is there any other way this can be solved? Many Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version and OS are you using?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Have tried all of the options above and still have grayed out path options for color.

Rubber band option works though. MacOS10.13.6, Photoshop 2020. (It works fine on Photoshop 2019!)

Help would be appreciated.

Ed 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to all of you!  This was driving me nuts- worked on my computer but not the work computer.  Appreciate the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - has anyone an idea to solve the mentioned problem for me? I tried all this things (resetting preferences, de- and reinstall) and still the path options are grey, only "rubber" can be activated.

I'm running 22.5.1 on a Windows machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A year ago after tried all the solution i founded that the reason is your internal GPU (Example: Intel HD graphics 3000) is not supported to photoshop version currently you have installed in your PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intel HD graphics 3000 isn't support Windows 10 so that Windows can't access internal graphics and your software, which needs it doesn't work properly or some tools like Pen tool path options and also it stops rotating command "R" in photoshop, after pressing "R" photoshop shows you OpenGL error because every time you rotate your canvas photoshop has to re-render the image and render requires GPU power so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have an internal Intel graphics adapter. I'm using a NVidia GeForce GT710.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is obviously the reason. I already was afraid that one day I had to buy a new graphics adapter. 🙂 So I will have to keep an eye out for a reasonable new adapter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2021 Sep 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is ok, if your work is done with this or if you need you can upgrad. I'm still using HD graphics 3000, it is just unable to use path options and rotation tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2021 Sep 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also this issue making trouble in other design software which i am using, it just slow down the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2021 Sep 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right. PS is still usable and I didn't discover any other issues. I planned to buy a new PC system in spring next year. So I have to decide whether I will wait until then or buy the graphics adapter before. I know, this is not the best time for purchasing hardware on good prices. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: My solution was an upgrade of the graphics adapter. Because of lucky circumstances I was able to purchase an ViewSonic 38" wide (with hardware calibration) and for that reason an upgrade of the adapter was needed.  I'm now using a NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti and everything works fine. It is still a small card, but I'm not a gamer and it works. Additionally it is affordable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also discovered that if you have too many images open then the path options grey out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

EveryOne. Do not Reset ...... My settings are gone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried resetting pen tool , resetting preference and also tried reinstalling photoshop but still path option is greyed out.

Please suggest me a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines