• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Path Tool - 'Path Operations' Why Does it Change??

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Gang,

I am using a Mac Studio running the latest Photoshop. I am trying to determine what key command changes the Pen Tool's 'Path Operations' Pen attributes menu item at the top of the menu bar. There are four options for the 'Path Operations' menu item I am trying to figure out.

1) Combine Shapes.

2) Subtract Front Shape

3) Intersect Shape Areas

4) Exclude Overlapping Shapes

I forget to check when I start a path occasionally and for me anything other than, 'Exclude Overlapping Shapes' as the chosen option is very annoying. If the other three options weren't there I wouldn't miss them and I never use them, but why it changes to these other options occasionally I have never been able to figure out. I must be hitting a key or something to change it as I never physically change it. I Would be grateful for any advice. Thank you, Glenn

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

The only default keyboard shortcuts i'm aware of to change Path Operations are:

+ Plus key sets Combine Shapes

- Minus key sets Subtract Front Shape

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the setting can be changed for any subPathItem later on the problem seems managable. 

As for the Path Operations other than »Exclude Overlapping …«: Have you ever clipped something like a bicycle? 

Can you post screenshots to illustrate under which circumstances the setting changes unexpectedly? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. I do realize it is manageable, but rather have the setting stay put in the first place. This setting seems to be a mystery!

Yes, I have cropped out bicycles before. I started retouching in the early 80's so just a few images since then!

retouch.ca

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have cropped out bicycles before.

And you did this with »Exclude Overlapping …«-subPathItems exclusively? 

Different elements might overlap and breaking up the curves/straight lines at every intersection does not seem prudent to me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/sometimes-pentool-path-shape-mode-change-com...9

I reported a bug about this, but I don't think it's under investigation.
It is amazing that this bug occurs in your mac system, too. I haven't tested this on the mac.(My main workflow is based on Windows)
This happens from time to time, and I guess the GPU memory used in Photoshop returns some features (returns), but when things don't, that's how the settings change (just my imagination).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I must be hitting a key or something to change it as I never physically change it."

If there is a shortcut key to change path operations I would like to know it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only default keyboard shortcuts i'm aware of to change Path Operations are:

+ Plus key sets Combine Shapes

- Minus key sets Subtract Front Shape

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all very much for your input, much appreciated. Looks like we have our answer, the plus and minus keys. Thank you! I must be inadvertently hitting one of these keys over the course of a day! Odd that only two of the four options are controlled by keys. For me, I would ideally like to have no shortcut keys at all for this option and only have the option of physically changing it.  Thank you again, Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines