Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pattern application

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,
I'd need to apply a pettern as a wallpaper in a photo.
I know the steps to apply a pattern when the background is white, but this time, the photo has its own wallpaper, I have to replace it, but I don't know how to do it.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the image have editable layers or is it flattened to a single layer?

On a flattened image, removal of wallpaper could be tricky to impossible. 

Can we see the image you're working with please?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The queen's gambitt.png

Here it is the Image! 
I'd like to replace the wallpaper, but I need to "delete" the one this one firstly.
I've tried to select the coloured areas and tried to subsitute the lights of the colours with the colours of the wall, but i failed 🙂
I would like to avoid the use of clone stamp or similar because I would need much time and I am not sure if it's the right method to have a good result

Thanks to those who will help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at the image, I think you can mask the wall with Vector Mask (or Layer Mask)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, that could be the fastest option but then I would not have the light of the environment 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would paint shadows on a layer between the (masked) foreground and the new wallpaper layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would select everything that is not wallpaper, probably with Select Subject, and make that a layer mask. You would then put your new wallpaper on a layer below that, and an additional layer between them for painting the shadows in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That could be a good option too, but how can I recreate the light of the environment that is on the wallpaper that I had?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what the middle layer would be for. You would paint in the lighting and shadow with a large soft Brush in airbrush mode. Set the brush to low opacity and flow, and build it up slowly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Challenge 1:  The camera angle is not perfectly perpendicular to the wall.

Challenge 2: Flesh tones and clothing colors are too similar to wall color which makes it very difficult to separate background from foreground elements.

Challenge 3: Uneven lighting.

I don't think this is a suitable photo for a natural looking background replacement.  My fear is that you could spend several tedious hours on this and it will still look  "Photoshoped."

Do you have any other images to work with?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for all the answers, I will try many other attemps or I will change the photo.
Thanks again for you time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines