• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF w/100% K converts to rich/build black when opening in Photoshop

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem occur a few times now: Occasionally I have the need to open a PDF in Photoshop, but when I do,  the 100% blacks will sometimes convert to rich/composite black. I know for certain the black text in the PDF is black only; the values show me so in Acrobat and InDesign. But when I open the same PDF in Photoshop, those blacks are converting to a composite black.

In case anyone is thinking I am rastering the PDF in RGB mode, I am not. I am most assuredly leaving the document in CMYK. 

Does anyone have any idea why this would happen? Why isn't Photoshop preserving the same color information the other Adobe applications are? This occurance does not happen all the time. It is random.

Thank you for any help you can offer. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat and Indesign do not modify the image structure. They just display what is present. Photoshop rasters the vector and as such modifies the underlying data. All is dependent on the transfer functions, target colour profile and definitely the source PDF.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Abambo,

Appreciate your responding. I have to say that I am starting to suspect the PDF, but the intersting thing is, the area I am having issues with in Photoshop is just a simple gray background with white text set over it. Nothing complicated or detailed.

I am just using a standard U.S Web Caoting CMYK profile. This situation does NOT happen with every PDF I resterize. It is just the occasional occurance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What CMYK profile are you using?

Is Photoshop set to preserve embedded profiles? Is the profile embedded (this would be determined in the PDF export options)?

EDIT: yes, Abambo has a good point. If it's vector graphics, Photoshop will rasterize it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello D Fosse,

Thank you for your response. I am using a very standard profile: US Web Coated (SWOP) v2. 

As I mentioned in my post, this anomaly doesn't happen every time I open a PDF in Photoshop. It is very possible the profile is not embedded. The PDF came from a client and I haven't had time to review what profile they used.

It is intersting, because our printers are having an issue with the Magenta in their logo printing, while the Magenta IS dsiplaying properly in all Adobe programs we have run it through. The only issue we are having PS is thisblacl converting.

Yes, the PDF rasterizes when I open it. But I don't see any how this is a vector image. It is just a 67% black background with white text set over it. 

It's all very strange. LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the PDF rasterizes when I open it. But I don't see any how this is a vector image. It is just a 67% black background with white text set over it. 

It's all very strange. LOL

By @Debbie25080878bv9w

The square and the text are vector elements. The whole is a vector image that Photoshop renders into a pixel image. By doing so, Photoshop modifies the fundamental structure of what contains the file. The behind the scene operations are entirely different, and the final result cannot be transformed back to the origin. It's a “destructive” process.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We really need the PDF uploaded to something like DropBox to examine what Photoshop might assume for rendering and CMYK. But Adambo is pretty much nailed the issue which is, you're 'ripping' this into Photoshop, into pixels and it's all or nothing so to speak, text and anything else ends  up as pixels and it may not be possible to do what you wish, so the question becomes, why are you bringing in a PDF into Photoshop? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines