Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Pen Tool Selection Keyboard Shortcut

Participant ,
Mar 10, 2011 Mar 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sir/Mdm,

I am using Photoshop CS5 and I am humbly seek help and tip to perform a keyboard shortcut to make selection after pen tool has traced the image. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 10, 2011 Mar 10, 2011
Here's one way:Choose Edit - Keyboard ShortcutsChoose Shortcuts For: Panel MenusExpand the Paths sectionClick on Make Selection... and press the key you want assigned.When you use this key I believe it will cause a dialog to open, which you can confirm with the Enter key.If you want to do it without any prompt at all it can probably be done through creation of an action.-Noel

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's one way:

• Choose Edit - Keyboard Shortcuts

• Choose Shortcuts For: Panel Menus

• Expand the Paths section

• Click on Make Selection... and press the key you want assigned.

When you use this key I believe it will cause a dialog to open, which you can confirm with the Enter key.

If you want to do it without any prompt at all it can probably be done through creation of an action.

-Noel

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other ways:

With the path still active, press Ctrl+Enter to make a selection from the path

(no dialog appears).

or

Right click inside the path, and choose Make Selection (dialog does appear).

MTSTUNER

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 12, 2011 Mar 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am really amazed and thankful for the great and useful shortcuts. Can you share with me the link to learn other Photoshop shortcuts? Thanks in advance.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 12, 2011 Mar 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure: http://morris-photographics.com/photoshop/shortcuts/index.html

Be sure to look around at the rest of his site, too.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 13, 2011 Mar 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi bro,

tks a million

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You saved me. Thanks a lot buddy.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case anyone revisits this old thread...While you will have to use the "Make Selection..." feature from the right click menu (or make your own shortcut as outlined above) to get all the features with converting paths to selections, you can still use the following shortcuts to streamline a few features from the menu:

As mentioned, Ctrl+Enter = Turns path into selection, the following do the same but...

Ctrl+Shift+Enter = Adds To Existing Selection

Ctrl+Alt+Enter = Subtracts from Existing selection

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting a problem with ctrl+Enter.

When I close the path and press Ctrl+Enter it selects the path which I select using pen tool but it also selects the whole image.

Please solve the issue . It's irritating.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.nobledesktop.com/shortcuts/photoshopcs6/pc

There you go. On this link you will learn and know keyboard shortcuts each and every tool of Photoshop CS6.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines