Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photo has incorrect colors in Adobe applications

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I shoot and edit my photos in sRGB and have noticed an issue where, both Photoshop and Lightroom Classic, show my imported photo noticeably different on tones. In sample photos the photos are darker when compared to the RAW (.NEF) file. I've attached two test photos to my post to show the issue. One of them being the original RAW exported from Preview as .JPG and the other is exported from Photoshop (scaled down due to exceeding file size limit).

I've checked both the camera and my workspace in PS / LrC are set to sRGB so I'm suspecting that something goes wrong during the import. Or my settings have changed. This only happens with Adobe' applications, macOS' Preview shows the correct colors when opening the RAW file.

Any help is appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

To prevent Lightroom from using the embedded previews, choose anything but Embedded & Sidecar under File handling in the Import dialog. Standard works well for most people. File handling in Preferences has nothing to do with this.

LR-embedded-and-sidecar-1.png

For images that have already been imported using Embedded & Sidecar, select them in Library, then go to Library > Previews > Build Standard-Sized Previews.

I have another photo which did not have RAW+JPEG enabled, so I could / should extract the embedded, presum

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't view your .NEF directly (see below), so you're viewing an embedded JPEG from the camera of which neither ACR or Lightroom can use; they both must build their own previews to start edtiting those images. The embedded JPEG from raw is proprietary processing. 

If you allow LR/ACRs previews to exist and edit those images, then export, they should match in Preview or any other color managed application (compare at 1:1 and in LR, within the Develop module). 

This is raw:

ThisIsRaw

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would explain it, thank you. Can you show me / link me to a manual to help me where I can edit this, as as I tried to find it and only found "File handling" - "Import DNG creation", which I'm not sure did anything. I changed values from "Medium" to "Full" and allowed "Embed Original Raw File". Screenshot attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And to add, not sure if relevant: I have another photo which did not have RAW+JPEG enabled, so I could / should extract the embedded, presumably JPEG, from it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To prevent Lightroom from using the embedded previews, choose anything but Embedded & Sidecar under File handling in the Import dialog. Standard works well for most people. File handling in Preferences has nothing to do with this.

LR-embedded-and-sidecar-1.png

For images that have already been imported using Embedded & Sidecar, select them in Library, then go to Library > Previews > Build Standard-Sized Previews.

I have another photo which did not have RAW+JPEG enabled, so I could / should extract the embedded, presumably JPEG, from it?

Not sure what you mean by this.

Raw+jpg normally refers to having your camera set to shoot both a raw file and a jpg, and does not refer to the jpg preview embedded in the raw file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks. However in this case I'd prefer to use the embedded JPEG from .NEF, as that is a lot more vibrant than the one LrC proposes to me, and I find the embedded JPEG more pleasing. I've tried to google this a bit and it seems like I can't do this within LrC / PS and would have to download an external app instead, in order to extract the embedded JPEG as its own file?

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add: yes, I can do this with Preview but it tends to be quite limited and, according to Finder (not sure how much I'd trust it though in this case) the color profile of the extracted photo switches to AdobeRGB instead of say sRGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks. However in this case I'd prefer to use the embedded JPEG from .NEF, as that is a lot more vibrant than the one LrC proposes to me, and I find the embedded JPEG more pleasing. I've tried to google this a bit and it seems like I can't do this within LrC / PS and would have to download an external app instead, in order to extract the embedded JPEG as its own file?

Thanks again!

This seems overly complicated to me, there is no need to extract the jpg preview.

Just edit the NEF to your liking, and the preview in Lightroom will update accordingly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't really use and certainly don't want that tiny JPEG preview. Why shoot raw?**

Alter LR rendering to get closer to a JPEG (still seems pointless to me**) and make a preset. Work with the high bit depth wide color gamut data raw can provide. 

** http://www.lumita.com/site_media/work/whitepapers/files/pscs3_rendering_image.pdf

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The idea was to get the previewed photo out easily, if it was feasible, as
I would’ve had to do this for ~15 other, non-important photos, as well.
These were test-photos that I just wanted to get shared quickly, as the
colors shown in preview seemed to be more than enough. I’ve done the edits
with RAW files this morning using my own presets, also manually adjusting
the photos that required more attention.

To add though, I did get the preview images as full-size when I exported
them from Preview app on macOS, but with the downside of only having
limited control of exporting.
--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bottom line is; the color isn't wrong, it's different and you can render the raw a million different ways. A huge benefit of raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not a solution and there are other “problems” IMHO with raw+JPEG like which of the two gets exposed optimally. 

The solution is to let LR/ACR build it's previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for all the help, got a lot more insight on the topic and how to proceed, going forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines