Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photos Have 1px Transparent Border

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2023 Feb 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey There, 

I've noticed that when I download an Adobe Stock Photo there is a 1px transparent border around it and I can't get rid of it no matter what I do.  If I create a new file with like a 1200x628 canvas and place the photo embedded and resize it to fit there is no transparent border, but if I open the image directly and resize it there is a 1px border.  The border does not go away even if I make the canvas 1200x628 and have the image larger than the canvas.  This is definitely some form of document-enforced border and has nothing to do with the photo or the resizing method.  Does anyone know how I can get rid of this?

[Moderator edited subject for precision and moved back to the Photoshop forum. This is certainly a Photoshop issue. Subject was: Adobe Stock Photos Have 1px Transparent Border]

President | Tortoise and Hare Software
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to illustrate here is a photo that I opened from photoshop, double clicked the background to convert it to a layer, then added a new layer on top and filled it with a solid color.  You can see the transparent border on the canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tnhsaesop 

Since your question is not about Photoshop, I have moved it to Adobe Stock for you. Please post the number of the image or the link so we can examine it.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is definitely about photoshop.  I am having photos that have a transparent border when editing them in Photoshop.  The photos just happened to be sourced from Adobe Stock... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The photos just happened to be sourced from Adobe Stock... 

By @tnhsaesop

If you download JPEG files, it is impossible to have a transparency border around, so your handling is specific and special and causes this border to happen.

I suggest you try with any JPEG, but treat that one as if it got downloaded by stock.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What format do you download in? JPEG, AI, PNG or EPS?

Because if it's JPEG, it cannot contain any transparency at all, something else is happening. Also, you say that if you enlarge the image, the border stays in the same place - no image format could do that because of something in the image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am downloading them in JPEG.  I don't think it has anything to do with the photo, but rather the canvas that the photo is placed on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tnhsaesop wrote:

but if I open the image directly and resize it there is a 1px border

How are you opening the image? And please give us the link so we can check.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Open
This does not happen when I File > New > Place Embedded

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see the attached screenshot where I have shown how the photo has been extended in size past the width of the canvas, and the border is still visible.  If the border was part of the photo, surely it would disappear once the photo is zoomed in and expanded past the dimensions of the canvas.  This is what makes me think it is somehow part of the canvas and not the photo itself.  I have also attached the photo in question.

[moderator deleted the original stock photo. Please do not attach original stock photos here]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you post a screenshot with your layers palette?

Abambo_0-1675697309263.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached, I just opened the file and double-click the background to convert it to a layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed that before, and I think it's only a display error. Magnify the view until you see the pixels. If the border is gone, it's only a display error.

Abambo_0-1675701142409.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tnhsaesop That is not part of the image - that is the UI interface showing you the image bounds. That 1px "border" does not show on your images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please delete the website in your signature, as this is against the forum rules and could be considered as spam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have removed the website from the signature, thanks for your quality contribution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! And thanks for the prompt action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2024 Apr 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*One eternity later*

I really hope you eventually got this FIXED fixed, but the only way that *I* found -- today, in fact, because I was having the exact same problem -- is to (very simply) flatten the image before export.

Voila, no more weird 1px border(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a display artifact with floating layers, seen with some GPU/drivers. I'm not seeing it now, but I have seen it in the past. It's not in the data, it's not affecting the file.

But note that if you resample a floating layer, you will get a real transparent edge, because the area outside the frame is calculated into the resampling. I'm open to calling that a bug, it's difficult to see where this is desired. Anyway, flattening prevents it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! This 1px transparent border showing up in Adobe Stock photos is a common issue. It's likely caused by the resampling method Photoshop uses when you open the image directly.

Go to Image > Image Size.
Under Resample, choose Bilinear instead of the default (usually Bicubic). Bilinear might not be quite as sharp, but it avoids the transparent border issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just flatten. This doesn't happen with flattened files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, is the artefact visible at 100% magnification?
 It was never present in older non GPU accelerated versions of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines