• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

photoshop 2015 with artboards feature won't crop

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2015 Sep 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to Photoshop CC 2015, created a new logo, and I can't get the crop tool to work. The artboard, named Artboard1, contains the four layers.

When I select the area around the logo and try to crop it, nothing happens.

I also tried to use the Trim tool to remove all space based on transparent pixels, and nothing happens.

I tried going back to crop settings in use before the 2015 update, but still no luck.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 30, 2015 Sep 30, 2015

Hi RickRicholson,

That is the expected behaviour.

Once you have setup artboards, your image is now using an infinite canvas and thus, the crop tool doesn't do anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2016 Jul 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I just want a simple way to 'crop' a portion of an image and save it out. In the moment. I don't want to setup slices and I don't want to change my artboards. I just want to cut out and save a portion of an image. Old crop tool was great for that, and I don't understand why it needs to be conflated with artboards. It's very confusing, I agree.

In my mind (same as Rick), I should be able to 'crop' across a portion of a view, regardless of whether there are artboards involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2016 Aug 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to add that I am not at all happy about not being able to crop easily. How can this have gone so horribly wrong. As a web designer I need to be able select an area of the design a crop for exporting. Adobe, sort this out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2016 Sep 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now we have to stick to our original canvas size that we made in the beginning?

The artboard thing makes it difficult to change size of our artwork flexibly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2016 Sep 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This wasted like 30 minutes of my time. Very frustrating. I was trying to crop, and it cropped the artboard, but then when i would try to save out the image, it would save out the full sized layer, not the cropped dimensions of the layer.

I figured out that if you right-click on the artboard in the layers panel, and select "ungroup artboards", it looks like it reverts it back to the old way, so I can save it out as I'm expecting it to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2016 Oct 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Artboards might seem good on paper, but they're a total waste of time and as others have stated - just caused me extra work trying to figure them out and get them out of the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, thank you for providing a workable solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG THANK YOU I have been trying to figure this out for 20m

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i bulk Export my artboards...there is a ton of extra space around each exported asset. Find out that extra space was caused by pixels hidden off the artboards. VERY CONFUSING!!! Had to manually go back and recrop all the assets that were exported VERY TIME CONSUMING.

What am I missing here...there has to be a way of doing this better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't get any of these suggestions to work.  I do web development and need to define a space using the marquee and... well... CROP IT!  I've tried changing the crop settings, I've tried 'Ungroup Artboards', and numerous other things I've read in forums.  This makes  no sense to me... are you seriously telling me I can't crop out a section of an image?! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at my pic of Carrie Fisher above, I gave steps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work for me. "Classic mode" is grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't enable the classic crop mode it's greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"An expected behavior to one person is an unexpected waste of time to another."

I found the change irritating and yes it cost me time and money......thanks Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I can manually resize an artboard and reposition my artwork within it, why can't I just use the crop tool to do all of that quickly like I always have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution is here. If you have a file with artboards

From file menu / Export / Artboards to files

From the pop up menu dis select Include Background in Export,

File type PSD

Check Export options:

Dis select Preserve Artboard

Then RUN

This creates new PSD files from each artboard. If you have 2 artboards in the file you will end up getting new 2 PSD files.

Which you can open and use CROP or MARQUEE tools.

For example remove background layer and crop a logo and save it as PNG with transparency. I was not able to do that

with artboards. Not sure how you can do that with Artboards. There is always a background. If anyone knows how to crop

transparent images from artboards please share.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is seriously infuriating to the point that i'll just use sketch in the future. thanks for saving me the monthly fee!

you can export artboards to files but you lose your guides.

horrific UX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to know I'm not the only one infuriated by this. This was supposed to be a 5-minute task, but now I'm digging through forums to... CROP AN IMAGE!! I hope Adobe has some sort of algorithm that picks up keywords like "awful", "horrible", "unbelievable" in their support forums, so they can put their attention on the features that are really causing their core followers to seek other solutions.

But you know, I have these kinds of issues with Apple as well, so, I guess that's life. $450 to replace a spacebar on the new MacBook Pro. -_-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2018 Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate Artboards!!!!

How do I get rid of them and turn photoshop back to normal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: Ok, looks like it's as simple as unchecking a box when creating a new image. So, hopefully that will be all I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  personally love art boards. But I still don't understand why the crop function doesn't work anyway.

What am I trying to do? I want to crop and delete layers inside one of the art boards inside my project to save file size. But nope. Doesn't work. I guess that's too complicated.

Work around is to copy layers paste into a new PSD document that isn't an art board. crop and deleted then drag the elements back to the art board document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's always a 1 minute job with old Ps and I can't believe now I have to scroll through forums to get the fastest way just to crop an image!

FFS I regret upgrading my Photoshop. Adobe should know VERY WELL that in UX nothing should be changed unless it's broken.
Glad that I'm not the only one find this very frustrating. I hope someone else will make an app better than Photoshop so I can get away from all this BS.

Some more as a student from a third world country the CC subscription plan is damn expensive. They should impose different pricing for different countries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well thanks a lot Adobe: the CROP tool has got the COMPOSITION overview, while your good-for-nothing Artboard tool does what exactly?? How many hoops do we now have to jump when we're trying to get the composition right? Where's the Golden Ratio? Rule of Thirds? Nah, just disabled the whole crop tool for no good reason whatsoever... Why "fixing" what's not broken?

-- * -- [sarcasm] Tiny font size and no colour coding in Adobe apps? What a fantastic idea! [/sarcasm] --*--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this will help. However, I had the same problem after an update. Every new file I created automatically created an artboard. What I did to get around this was to right-click on the Artboard text (eg. "Artboard 1") in the layers panel and select "Ungroup artboards".  I was then able to use the crop tool to crop my image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click where it says "Artboardx" in your Layers pane, then click UnGroup Artboards. That will get rid of the Artboard and allow the Crop to work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another way to handle this, that may help the web design folks in particular, is to save your layers into a group. Then apply a layer mask to the group for the size of the final crop. Duplicate that group of layers to a new file (which will ostensibly not have an artboard), then select your layer mask in the new file, then select crop. The nice part about this is that you have preserved your production file. This method has the added benefit of not destructing any pixels, AND you have a PSD you can flatten and make final layers and crop from for export. I prefer this way as I don't like to work on files that are too complicated after all the design decisions are made...just a simple file I can open, make a new layer and export from...without all the hassle of remembering which settings are where, etc. I hope this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines