• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2019: Clone stamp lag with in Photoshop with Windows 10 and Wacom tablet

LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the 2019 update, Photoshop seems to lag badly with Clone Stamp on Windows 10 64-bit, using a Wacom Tablet (Intuos Pro L with Pro Pen).

Lag is possibly not quite the right term... it kind of does a spot as you click but then as you drag the pen no more cloning happens. You can do another spot by tapping again but drag gives you no more 'ink'. Doesn't happen immediately - takes a minute or so usually to occur.

Weirdly alt-tabbing away and back completely clears it, for a while at least.

Looking at task manager, it doesn't look like it's using the CPU (roughly 10%) or GPU (up to 20%) particularly intensively.

It does not appear to be the same thing our Mac users are experiencing, which is the issue documented elsewhere on here, which is cleared by hiding the rulers.

Using the latest version of PS (20.0.0), Windows 10 Pro x64 build 1803, Nvidia 416.81 driver; system spec - GTX 1060 6GB; 32GB RAM, Intel i7 6700.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this problem occur in normal canvas tool use or is it in the content aware selection workspace?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David, it's on the normal canvas. I've not tried out the content aware selection workspace (it's always been too slow for quick selection scenarios and too inaccurate where perfection is necessary).

I think (think) though, that I've got this licked...

Because, to get my Wacom tablet to operate the way you'd expect it to work (as in, how the Wacom Tablet preferences determine, rather partly that and partly what Windows Ink decides - which layers click and hold for right click and weird animated cursors on top, among other things) is incredibly fussy - and takes about 5 different settings to be changed, in two different windows settings apps (new control panel and old control panel); I would just disable Windows Ink from inside the Wacom preferences app and be done with it.

That, though, meant that Photoshop won't do pressure sensitivity at all, unless you enabled, with PSUserConfig.txt:

# Use WinTab
UseSystemStylus 0

Once you did, in CC 2018 and previous releases, everything would work perfectly. With 2019 though, not so much. Whatever's changed in the interplay between Windows Ink, Photoshop and Wacom with this release, means that you have to use Windows Ink now to avoid this sticking bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great, good information.  I agree, 3rd party tablet setup and capabilities are fussy and spread out.  Thanks for continuing to 'fuss'.  I will take a look at it and see if there is a better 'native' solution.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm - plot thickens. This works on my machine at work but on my - pretty similar, though not identical setup at home (Intuos 5 M and GTX 1080 are the big differences) can't get pressure sensitivity to work in the same way. The only way Photoshop'll see the tablet as pressure sensitive is using the PSUserConfig setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt,
By chance do you have Rulers on?  If so, does turning them off fix the lag?
Chad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No - the rulers bug doesn't seem to affect Windows, just the MacOS version so far as I can tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 06, 2019 Sep 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so strange - but def something going on here. Ive recently started to notice this bug too. 
Very annoying but intermittent - seems to happen more often when I go superfast ( ie on a fs high worker layer.)  Is like it just stops cloning altogether.  Then alt sampling again will get me going again. 
If I wait a fraction of a second between alt sampling and clicking then its less likely to occur (and waiting for my tools is not an option in my line of work... ) 

It is strictly an issue with the clone stamp and does not seem to occur with paint brushes, heal brush og spot heal. It also seems to be a 2019 issue as well - I cant recall having this problem on 2018. 
I'm on windows 10 pro, latest wacom drivers, intous medium. windows ink OFF and UseSystemStylus 0 in user config (as Windows ink is complete pile of c...) 

It seems to be related to speed and funnily enough zoom ratio ??? It seems to happen less often if im zoomed in closer, but cant tell for sure. 

Needless to say, as a commercial retoucher this is a pretty f..... big deal - would appreciate anyone shedding som more light on this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rulers bug definitely affects windows. Thanks for the tip. Cured my problem!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Now with version 22.5.1, Windows 10, 21H1, Wacom Intuos3 PTZ-930, Driver from Wacom 6.3.15-3 I have the same lags with the stamp tool and it's not the rulers, normal Canvas.
And the preview of the Stamp Tool doesn't work when it's the background-layer. The preview always stays the same. It's the part of the image taken at first.

I switched off Graphics Acceleration - the prob is still there, of course I restarted PS.
By the way: Radeon Pro W5100 Driver 21.Q2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines