• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 canvas "freezes" and remains on screen on Windows

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I began noticing an issue where a portion of my canvas freezes when I zoom in, and remains stuck on the screen. I can move the canvas normally, the stuck portion can't be interacted with, and if I move the canvas, it goes underneath the frozen portion.

I've updated to the latest version, made sure my drivers are up to date, and the issue doesn't seem to appear with any other programs, drawing or otherwise. Just on Photoshop. Closing the program removes the frozen portion, so does dragging Photoshop from my Cintiq to my main screen. 

I attached a file with an example of how it looks like, you can see the frozen canvas portion on the left side next to the toolbar. 

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Hi there,

We are sorry about the exprience with Photoshop. 

Would you mind going to the "Preferences" of Photoshop, then "Performance" and uncheck the option to "Use Graphics Processor"? Once done, quit and relaunch Photoshop to check if that helps.

Also, please uninstall and re-install the latest drivers for your Wacom Cintiq tablet and the graphics card (from the manufacturers website). Then restart the computer to check if that makes any difference.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

It appears that reinstalling both Wacom Cintiq and GPU drivers fixed the issue for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly for some but then Flick Panning doesnt work. What function should we then disable to get flick panning working, haha. Sorry but you have to laugh about this or you would cry at this point. This has gone on so long for so many and 'flick panning' or 'disabling graphics card' being offered as the answer on multiple posts is not the answer. Its just removing a vital tool to get the wheels moving and the issue isnt being actually fixed by adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-freezing-cursor-stuck-when-scrolling-flick...

I'm trying to determine if you're seeing the same issue that's being investigated by engineering or something different we need to look into. I'm not suggesting this is a "Fix."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any possible way that Adobe can actually "Fix" this.  Your turn off graphic card and flick panning may work on occasion, but it is no way a fix.  And by the look of this thread, you should have had this fixed a while ago.  When, oh when will you fix it.  It gets extremely irritating, and makes some of us wonder why we pay you money for a program that is not fully functional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop Version: 23.0.0 20211013.r.36 623993d x64

Latest video drivers.

Have the exact same issue here! From version to version!

Adobe, really, I talked to your tech support for 2 and a half hours. Do you know peaople working on you are incompetent? They are just useless! "Disable graphics card acceleration"? "Reset preferences"? "Try reporting this issue via the bug report page"? What are you, some third-country-tiny-company? Do you know people have been having this SOFTWARE issue for years?! Are you planning to fix it or is the AI-filters changing the sky are more important than just WORKING in your software? 

PS: flick panning and disabling video card were useless for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am zoomed into a large image in Photoshop and the screen freezes. When I scroll to zoom or use the key commands to zoom I can see the scale values change on my window but the image doesn't change. I have had to close and open this file 5 or so times today. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this been solved yet? I am closing and opening Photoshop 21 and 22 all the time to get back to my projects after zoomed in view freezes. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's likely your graphics card doesn't support the the latest native GPU api. Try this: Go to Preferences > Technology Previews... and check "Disable Native Canvas" - then restart Photoshop. Does the problem still occur?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens to me constantly. I really only need it for the smooth canvas resizing. Driver reinstalls did not help. My old CS5 copy does not have the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening to me constantly since November 2021 - none of these 'solutions' work. Adobe, please fix this. It's been 2 years since this thread was posted, and we all pay far too much money on subscriptions for this to have still not been fixed after 2 years. 

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing that's worked for me is turning off "flick panning".

--

**CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE**: The information transmitted, including
attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
review, re transmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any
action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than
the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please
contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posting in March 2022 here, brand new Wacom , Win 11, Updated Photoshop, same issue.

It's almost random - as I've been drawing / panning / re-sizing canvas etc for about an hour, and inexplicably now, I can't pan the canvas once without it freezing and having close/reopen the application to get the PSD back.

All the same symptoms as above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, me too.

It's been 2 years, and we still don't have a solution from Adobe. Only workarounds.
And it's about something huge, we gotta stop our productivity to restart Photoshop every time.

How can this still be an issue in all these years?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy anniversary Kaue and everybody! Although the software is essentially useless unless you disable key features it fills me with joy that they have continued to offer countless useless new features for amatuers to play with while the professional community cant get simple fixes sorted to make the software usable. 

Also funny how this discussion and others created on this same subject are still classed as solved. IT IS NOT SOLVED!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, man...

We've been getting landscape mixer, color transfer, neural filters... stuff we could already do ourselves.

Bro, I just wanna zoom without my canvas lagging...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFTER ALL THIS TIME I FOUND A SOLUTION! I stopped using photoshop, bought the newest and biggest Ipad pro there is and work now with Procreate instead. Wish I had done it sooner. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a solution. Sorry, man, but spending money on another Ipad,
having bought the photoshop subscription, is a totally stupid thing. Adobe
literally made you buy an Apple product. Nice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It was meant as a joke. Ofcourse I didn't buy an Ipad just because of this little issue. I bought it because it is super portable and feels better than a wacom tablet (personal opinion). But I really do not miss the constant crashes or issues photoshop has. I haven't  had any of these issues with Procreate at all. Plus it has some features that I absolutely love. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines