Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 - File Type Extension Issues on Mac

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I have just upgraded to PS2020 and when I click "save as" to save work it defauts to a .psd file type. 

If I then select a different file type from the drop down list [.jpg or .png for example] then the "save as" name at the top of the box does not amend to show the new file type. Thus, once saved it saves to the computer without a file type and will not open. 

On my old version of PS, if I renamed a file type as "Example Document" and then selected .jpg from the dropdown list it would automatically create the file name "Example Document.jpg" and would work fine.

The only way around this is to manually input the file type on every occassion.  

I am using a MacBook running the latest OS and up to date PS2020. 

Does anyone know how to solve this? 

Or is there also a way to set the default file type to anything other than .psd? 

Many thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help in this case but I'm stumped about the same thing and am online asking about it in another conversation. Photoshop used to add the suffix or file extension when you "saved new" or "saved for web." Now, if I wish to "save as," e.g. Screengrab1234.jpg" to "Sky.jpg," Photoshop only saves it as "Sky." Please let me know if anyone comes up with a fix. Thank you, Al

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been killing me. I have so many actions and have to export hundreds of images with different layers turned off an on. Have you found a fix yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest version adds the file extension after you click OK, so you can rename and save without .jpg and then PS will add it anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is strange that it deletes it in the renaming dialog but adds it. I did have JPGs that I was resizing then uploading to Wordpress that I would try to upload but they didn't have the correct extension which had to be JPG or PNG. I wonder if PS was making a .jpeg  Btw why did somebody have to make a jpeg extension? That's a question for another time. I do have to make sure it's jpg often times by adding it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking that this is an OS side issue.  I'm running PS2020 under macOS 10.13 High Sierra and the extention changes as expecged in the File > Save As dialog box.

If you're starting from new document, it will save as either a PSD or PSB (depending on the file size).

If you open and edit a different file format, PS will save back to it by default as long as you don't do something that that file format does not support.  For example, if you open a PNG, you must merge layers in order to save directly back to PNG.

Hopefully someone else running Catalina can chime in.  I stay as far away from the current OS as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Same problem here. running photoshop 2020 on catalina and absolutley no extensions appear in the save image dialog boxes. I seemed to have solved the problem by trying this. Under photoshop preferences/File handling change the APPEND FILE EXTENSION dropdown from Always to Never, save, and then quit photoshop. Reopen photoshop, and then in photoshop preferences/File handling change the APPEND FILE EXTENSION dropdown from Never back to Always and the optionally check Use Lower Case. This seemed to do the trick for me and now my extension appear as expected in the save image dialog boxes.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, could you please state the exact version of MacOS that you are running? 10.15.3? And Photoshop 21.0.3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue after a new install on a clean computer, this worked perfectly for me. Thank you!

Photoshop 21.2

macOS 10.15.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive the same issue as will. Updated it yesterday

10.15.7 (19H2)

Photoshop 22.0 (latest version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Game changer, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Had the same issue and same specs — this worked for me. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made the change mentioned and here is the weird part that I think changed from the previous workflow.

1) Open the save dialog. The name+extension is there. The entire filename is selected including extension.

2) You type your name. It erases the extension because it was highlighted. 

3) Then it doesn't add it when it saves it. 

It used to select only the name, not the file extension too right?  Something happened here that is messed up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wow, It worked !! Thanks heaps Charles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
Still very annoying behaviour. File extensions are not "forced" to be present as it used to be. Even worse annoying using the Save For Web. since files are supposed to be uploaded on a server and therefore absolutely need an extension.

Can you please help me to understand this? (copy-pasted from the link you shared)

I'm using last verstions of both Photoshop and osX, and I don't see any solution here. 
I don't understand the "hidden by default but will automatically match" sentence.

Thank you!

File naming options don't work correctly in the Save As dialog
In Photoshop 20.0.6, changing the file format does not change the extension of the file in the name field.

Solution

Update to Photoshop 21.x or Photoshop 20.0.7. The file extension is hidden by default but will automatically match the format selected in the Format pop-up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same annoying problem. I'm on Mac OS 10.15.7. I have a new install of PS. In my preferences, under file handling, I have set Append File Extension set to "Always." I've restarted the computer many times. It's still not working.  With CS6 I developed that workflow of entering just a filename when saving and the correct extension was appended to it. With PS version 21.1.0, I have to remember to type it in, or I have to open Finder and rename the file by adding the extension!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me. Same prob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

because it totally makes sense to have this setting default to off on macos, adobe developers are fuucking trolling us. 

:clown_face::pile_of_poo:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't type the extension, inDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop will add the extension automatically. ONLY in the "save for web" dialog you have to type it manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines