• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 running slow

New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

con il nuovo Ps2020 ho problemi di velocità quando uso lo strumento trasforma. E' un problema comune?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that Photoshop 2020 is running slow unexpectedly. What is your operating system and when exactly is the app running slowly?

Could you please turn on the Legacy Compositing option in Performance preferences?
Choose Edit > Preferences > Performance (Windows) or Photoshop > Preferences > Performance (macOS). Select Legacy Compositing. Quit and relaunch Photoshop.

If the above does not help, please take a look at this article to know how to optimize Photoshop: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS 10.14.6

Did all of that.

Running insanely slowly.

Unusable./ As usual.

Going back to cc2019.

Buggy, but at least it fails much faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Akash Sharma,

This is a real and very widespread problem that is not solved by your fix, or any other fix that's been suggested on here by kind members of the Adobe Support Community.

You need to look NOW at this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-2020-running-slow/td-p/10719152

This is filled with people using Macs and Windows machines of all kinds - some very new, some old - and is clearly an issue with Adobe's PSCC2020 not anything to do with anyone's operating system or hardware or configuration.

And you should also look now at this one (marked as solved, but that "solution" only turned out to be a temporary fix):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/spinning-wheel-on-every-action-since-updating-to-photoshop-...

If you can, you might want to check out how many people have uninstalled Adobe Photoshop CC 2020 and reverted to Photoshop CC2019.  Because that is the ONLY solution to this problem that actually works right now.  There is clearly a major issue with Photoshop CC2020.  I would also like to add that I think that there's a major issue with charging a subscription for software which is released with a major flaw that makes it unusable! That's right:  Adobe Photoshop CC2020, for which we all pay a substantial monthly amount, is rendered UNUSABLE by this issue.  It's just not good enough.

This needs to be sorted, fast.  By Adobe.  Not by Adobe's Support Community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It seems the issues still are not solved? I updated a few days ago to 2020, and a smaller updated as late as today. No improvement. Photoshop works fine for the first 5 min, after that completely useless.

/Fredrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still trash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You @elphinwhite I have searching for solution with laggin (couple sec) text layers and switching to cc 2019 solved problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues here and just updated this morning with v 21.2.4. It is useless. Worse now than it was yesterday. Going back to 2019 version. This is ridiculous and we should get a refund for the last 6 months of problems.

Windows 10 64 bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still extremely slow on my 5k dollar editing machine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for all photoshop 2020 works like garbage. I already bought Affinity because cant work and you got my $ for product. FIX THIS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here, affinity is super fast, I plan on leaving the cloud by this time next year. All my new clients' projects are being done in other software, I'm just stuck with a couple of legacy clients. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to say it. The Photoshop 2020 version is trash with completely unacceptable performance on an otherwise pretty fast Windows 10 i5 machine. Same with my laptop and high-end spec gamer laptop. Tried them all and after upgrading to 2020 the performance was noticeably poor compare with 2019. Also, the glyphs popup is the most annoying tool and unnecessary tool made. Really disliking the 2020 Photoshop version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. April 22nd, 2020. Update occurred yesterday and I was hoping it would address this. If anything, I have more issues with spinning beachballs now in both PS and AI after this update. Simple things like trying to scale a layer, basic, or Smart Object, it simply hangs almost to where I am ready to Force Quit, but then it finally snaps out of it after 20 seconds. Same in AI as of yesterday. InDesign is another issue altogether, but this is a PS help page, so I'll not go there. I am responsible for the decisions of what software our agency Graphics Team uses, so I am going to be learning Affinity and sharing the wealth with the team very soon. I have Publisher and Designer on my personal laptop and I am loving them so far. I am going back to 2019 as well, the only problem is that the save for web feature will not work, throws an error, can't remember what right now - general fail. Still, it's better than the 2020 mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought, when did software companies decide it was not their responsibility to assure cross-platform stability and pass it on to the consumer to try this and try that, delete this and turn off that as a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Macbook Pro 2017 with 32 gigs of RAM. Never had any real performance issues in 15 years of using adobe products everyday. Photoshop and AI are almost useless after this last update. Photoshop freezes with simple brightness and contrast slider adjustments. Rest of my system runs fine. Definitely a PS issue. AI crashed yesterday lost about 2 hours of work. No warning, error, recovery. Nothing. Just wasn't running anymore. Nothing. What I was working on was just gone. Poof. I'm going to have to instal a previous version, my workload won't allow me to mess with some "fix". Pretty dissapointed at the moment. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used Photoshop almost daily for the last 5ish years professhionally. There's been moment's in time I'd have less than stellar performance, but I'd usually chop that up to my job's system specs. As of late, I've been working from home on a computer that shouldn't be having any serious issue. (Window/i7/32gigs of Ram/VEGA 56)

Today, I started up Photoshop (21.1.3) and I was having delay/drag/lag on just a single left-click on a layer, and when I'd move my mouse it, would drag the layer across the screen without me holding down the click/mouse. As well as lag, and inconsistant selections all day when highlighting/moving Text Layers. I finally uninstalled and reinstall Photohop back to 21.1.2 and all of my sudden performance issues dissapeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2020 is a piece of garbage.  It takes from 20 to 50 seconds to load.

I'm a 30-year PC and graphics designer pro and know Photoshop inside and out.

All the so-called "fixes" proposed either do not work AT ALL, or only for 2-3 loads, then this bloated, buggy piece of junk resumes being a "mental retardate."

How CAN one "go back" to Photoshop CC 2019?  That had none of these STUPID issues.

SHRIEK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here I am, a youg photographer who bought and have been using Adobe Photo package (Photoshop, Lightroom, Lightroom CC etc.). I have been relying on Lightroom and now decided it is time to start becoming more familiar with Photoshop.  

The entire package is a nightmare.  My first gallery display in August 2021 was almost delayed as the platforms dragged on and on consuming hours and DAYS in what should have been completed in little time.  

Clients' orders are sometimes a day late courtesy of this incapable platform.

Often times, panoramas come out a total mess.  It is not a full year using Adobe and its rubbish softwares but I am already getting ready to go hunting for something which will help to build my reputation and not tarnish my name while driving me up the wall.  To date, I can say without a doubt that this was and is a poor investment.  I am disappointed in Adobe and its products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue! I've recently installed the latest version of Photoshop and Illustrator on my new windows laptop and Photoshop CC is running extremely slow. Meanwhile, Illustrator runs absolutely fine. I've already tried optimizing everything on Photoshop but nothing happens! I don't think this is an issue with my device. I will be following this thread until Adobe resolve this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Akash,

it´s August 2021 and I´m having the same problems as all the people in this and other communities. Something is definitely wrong with Photoshop cc2020 and it seams to be the same for cc2021. It crashes for the simplest things and is suddenly very slow in every move. I tryed to optimized a lot, also deactivated most of my fonts, but it doesn´t realy help. So, do we all have to downgrade to 2019? I´m working for broadcast Houses like RTL and we have to be very fast with all our outputs. Adobe does not help. We Designers and Artdirectors really want to change to Affinity. It´s only a matter of time till we push harder for a change to a better software provider in big broadcast houses. Adobe can´t just go on taking a lot money every month and give us a defective software update for over a year now. I have to downgrade now to cc2019 because I don´t feel save at all working for projects with limited time. And please don´t try with *I have to optimize my system*. I think it´s proofed many times, it´s not on us costumers.

Best regards,

Majon Burger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seriously. I've been running into issues like crashing and not loading much more intensly for the past 6 months since the update and the issue is still not resolved? More over, since the past few years with constant updates from CC (a 'benefit' comes with the subscription?) all the programs are just becoming less and less stable. I have force quitted PS today for 10+ times just because I wanted to adjust Hue/saturation on a 1000x1000px image? wtf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2020 CC has been driving me nuts too.

So yesterday, I used every bit of the skill I have with PC's and Windows and did the following:

(1) Went back to my adobe.com "CC" page and installed Photoshop 2019 CC (leaving 2020 CC still installed).

(2) Opened Bridge and found out that now NO PDS, JPG or TIF files would open in EITHER version of Photoshop.
Instead would get the message: "No file association with this program. Cannot open."

So obviously, I reasoned, something about installing Photoshop 2019 CC "in addition to" Photoshop 2020 CC, had screwed up my Windows registry's "file associations." The NEXT piece of this puzzle came, when it was IMPOSSIBLE to go into "Default Programs" and then into "Default File Associations" and "re-assign" EITHER version of Photoshop to the extensions, PSD, TIF or JPG. Photoshop did not appear there as an option. The only REALLY lame option was: "Find an App in the Microsoft Store." NO WAY!

(3) Then online I found an article telling how to manually use RegEdit (to edit the Windows 10 "registry" database), and manually type in the "default program associations" for PSD, TIF and JPG files. I did that EXACTLY as follows:

Before EVER messing with the Windows Registry — I ALWAY create a Windows Restore Point.
Do that by clicking on:

type in the white box: restore
Find "Create a Restore Point" at top of the resulting black menu
In the window that opens scroll up or down (if necessary) to find your C: drive
If "restore point" capability for that drive is turned off "OFF", you want to turn that
capability on. Click on the C: drive. Click the "Configure" button;
Click "Turn Restore on" and click OK.
NOW in the same window box, click on the C: drive and click the CREATE button
Name it anything you want, such as: Before messing with Photoshop
When the bar chart finishes click OK or CLOSE.

NEXT . . . Again click

type in the white box: regedit
Find "Regedit" at top of the resulting black menu
Right-click on that and select "Run As Administrator"
click on "YES" (I really want to do that), duh

Then go to the VERY TOP of the RegEdit folder list and click your way through, to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Software
Microsoft
Windows
CurrentVersion
Explorer
FileExts

and thence scroll down to first PSD, then JPG and finally TIF

EXAMPLE:

all of the above folder list, down to: Scroll down to find .psd
CurrentVersion
Explorer
FileExts
.psd
Then --> OpenWithList

Iin the right hand "pane, now double-click on (Default)
and in the blank box that opens, type in EXACTLY: (including the quote marks,
and ONLY ONE space-mark — between Photoshop.exe" and "%1"

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe\Photoshop CC 2019\Photoshop.exe" "%1"

Do for both other "usual" Photoshop file associations (i.e., JPF, TIF).

There is no "SAVE" or "OK" button in RegEdit. Simply click its upper right "X" (close program) button to save.

Restart your system.

(4) After doing ALL THAT crap, neither from within Bridge or File Explorer, would double-clicking on any PSD, TIF or JPG file OPEN PHOTOSHOP (either version!!!). SHRIEK!

Then I had a hunch.

(5) I logged back onto my Adobe CC page and noticed that my Photoshop 2020 CC version now had an "UPDATE" button. I decided, what the hell! So I did that. It updated to some later version (the latest).

(6) I logged out, and restarted my PC.

Then I went back into both Bridge AND File Explorer and two FRIGGING amazing things had happened:

(A) All three file extensions now open Photoshop 2020 CC. (I think that that "latest update" went and looked at my manual file associations in the registry, and repointed them to Photoshop 2020CC.)

(b) AND Photoshop 2020 CC now opens consistently in 10-13 seconds (not 40). So all that crapola I did somehow (helped) fix what's been a bug Adobe has been baffled by. I "believe" that until I did all the crap above, Photoshop 2020 had some weird "hunt forever for file associations" bug which caused its stupidly lengthy loading times and other balkiness.

I have NOT un-installed Photoshop 2019 CC, because I'm scared to!!!

So that's all I know, and now Photoshop 2020CC is working great. AND, wouldn't it be FUNNY and "typical," if that Photoshop 2020 CC update was MERELY Adobe finally having fixed its long-standing screw-up (slow loading), and if all my shenanigans above was a total coincidence to that. I'll never know.

AND: There's 3 hours of my life I'll never get back. Thanks Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had this annoying porblem, but I believe it is fixed in PS 21,2 that was installed a few days ago. Works fine for me anyway,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing a dramatic slow down of Photoshop 2020.  It worked fine for me and then

about 10 days ago started acting slow.  I am running Windows 10 on a Dell I9 and Photoshop before

was quite fast. Now it takes 20 seconds to start up and opening a file takes several seconds.  When you

click on some of the commands it takes so long to respond that you assume you didn't click. So you click

again and things go wrong.

This has to be some kind of problem introduced in a recent up date. I routinely update my software and

the operating system as updates become available. I am running 21.2.1

Perhaps this will help in finding the problem. I click File from the pull down menu and it responds quickly. Then

I pick open, and it takes 12 seconds for a menu to come up showing files in the current directory. It takes 2 seconds

to open a subdirectory. It takes 7 seconds to open a medium size jpg file. Before these things happen about as fast

as you can click. Definitely something wrong. 

I tried some debugging myself.  I turned off other software that I though might be slowing Photoshop down.  No

improvment. The task manager says Photoshop is using only 1% of the CPU. There are no other applications running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines