• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2021 broke the zoom tool

Participant ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to PS 2021 and there is something seriously wrong with basic navigation. Zoooming and moving artwork leads to a strange and wild flickering. Literally the piece will start zooming in and out wildly regardless if the tool is engaged from the toolbar or via the Navigator. At the same time I lose all the definiton in any line work. The lines start switching between choppy and smooth as I scroll. There is also a huge amount of lag  with general scrolling. I do mostly illustration and digital painting so this odd behavior makes the new version of PS unusable for me.

Playing with the Graphics Processor settings in the Performance tab made no difference. I made NO changes in any settings during or after the update.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

I've attached a PDF of my system info. I updated my video card driver and my Wacom drivers and that didn't help. Windows 10 did update yesterday.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Drawing on Photoshop is becoming impossible, it's just driving me crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys! I've been facing the same challenges but just did the follow and it seems to be working now:

1. Add scratch disks for 
Photoshop's use (Preferences > Scratch Disks).

2. Under Preferences > 3D, lower the value of the Available VRAM For 3D setting to 80%

Let me know if this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys! I've been facing the same challenges but just did the follow and it seems to be working now:

1. Add scratch disks for 
Photoshop's use (Preferences > Scratch Disks).

2. Under Preferences > 3D, lower the value of the Available VRAM For 3D setting to 80%

Let me know if this helps.

By @Shem0101

I think you're on to something, but there might be something else to add... To try your tip, I had to enable the graphics processor ( Preferences->Performance). I had the GP disabled because in the past it didn't matter if the box was ticked or not. The aoom was still broken.  BUT to adjust the VRAM in the 3D tab I had to enable Open GL and to do that required enabling the Graphics Processor ( GP).

On a whim I tried the zoom after turning on the GP and it worked.  Even with the VRAM at 100% in the 3D tab. I used the default GP settings ( attached photo). By the way, I also had a scratch disk set up so that didn't need to be done.

Before, it made NO difference if the GP was enabled or not. So Adobe must have fixed something " under the hood" after all. Still. I'm not abandoning PS 202 just yet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These steps then a restart of the app worked for me. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad it worked. My PS 2021 suddenly started working last month after a random update, so I was finally able to "upgrade". It's been fine since but I'm still annoyed that it too SO long to fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basic navigation causes my zoom tool to completely break. There's no other way to put it. In this state, my canvas will RAPIDLY zoom in and out to both extremes, giving it a flickering effect with absolute loss of control over zoom. If I single click with zoom tool it will either do nothing, or it will zoom all the way to max. If I click and hold + drag and try to use scrubby zoom, it goes insane and flickers, jumping to and from max zoom. This isse began when I installed the latest version of photoshop on a new machine.

I am running an Alder Lake gen 12 i9 CPU on a Z690 board, 32 gigs of DDR 3600, RTX 2060 GPU... far more than photoshop needs. Drivers are up to date. 

My work flow tonight has caused the issue 3 times in a row. I am using basic navigation, scrubby zoom, basic brushes, gradient tool, lots of lasso tool selection. Layer masks. Free-transform. nothing at all that should be breaking the program like this. All I can do is quickly save and restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, this has been a problem with the last 2 releases with no permananet fix yet. I can only suggest you try some of the suggrestions in this thread and hope for the best.

I always turn off scrubby zoom because it custs down on performance for me- even on a hign specs PC. SO you might want to try it.

If things get intolerable you can always go back to an older version that worked well.  I had to roll back to 2020 for most of last year because the zoom issues in ver 2021 made the program unusable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please excuse the typos. I've not had my morning caffeine yet!😮

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines