• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2021 extremelly slow

Participant ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 2021 was insanelly slow on my old laptop, it was a 5 year laptop so I thought that was the problem and ended up buying a new one. Now I'm surprising because absolutely nothing changed, it has exactly the same problems. Everything is extremelly laggy, even the menus takes a few secons to open. This was something that has been instantaneous since almost 30 years ago. So... what's going on?

The computer is freshly installed, so everything is updated, I set it to use the RTX 3070 on photoshop, I'm no longer using 4K, I'm back to 1080p, the hdd is a fast nvme gen 4, and it has 32GB of RAM. Shouldn't this be enough to run photoshop? Btw, it is extremelly slow even when I'm working on a 640x480 image with one layer. (everything else runs perfectly except photoshop)

Meanwhile I'm going to install some old version with perpetual license or something, because I need to start working, but I have 2021 paid until the end of this year and I was never able to use it. Is there any way to use the 2021 version on a laptop or does it now only works on a super high end desktop?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All works fast here on two systems:

a. Intel i9-10920X 128GB RAM   RTX3090 (Studio driver 472.12) and system and scratch on NVMe drives (scratch has 1TB spare space), data drives several 2TB SSDs  Windows 10 v21H1

b. Intel i7-3930k 64GB RAM  RTX 2080ti  System SSD, data drives several 2TB 7200 rpm spinning disks

My daughter also uses Photoshop on a laptop and that is also fast to use. Spec : Intel 10870H 32GB RAM  RTX3070 NVMe drive, Windows 10 v21H1

I have seen others report lag issues - although many were using AMD CPUs - what is your CPU?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the Photoshop 22.5.1 on Windows 10 Pro 21H1 x64 with a i7-11800H, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3070 8.0 GB, on a 2 TB 980 PRO NVMe with scratch on another 1 TB NVMe, and it is horrendous. I can't even use the menus. Just passing the mouse through the menus it lags a lot, but really a lot. I never ever saw anything so bad. Even the animation on the menus opening are ultra slow. But as soon as I close photoshop everything runs great, all other applications and even games. I really don't understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many laptops have both Intel and NVidia GPUs. Can you go to the NVidia control panel and ensure Photoshop is set to use the NVidia only

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my first thought, the first thing I did. Doesn't change anything. Photoshop 2021 22.5.1 is pretty much useless on my new laptop. I guess it might be incompatible with something but I also noticed that there are some weird box with round corners over the text on the menus, I'm not sure if that ugly effect is doing some mess. I just installed Photoshop CC 2021 (lukily I had a copy on my backup) and it works amazing and very fast. I'll be ok with 2021, I just need to block the updates somehow to be safe on my work.

I searched everywhere and seems that the problem I have with extreme lag on menus only happened to users on 2017, so I'll probably don't find a better solution than return to CC 2019.

Thanks for trying to help. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean... *I'll be ok with 2019, I just need to block the updates somehow to be safe on my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiositu I just installed the version 22.5.0 and it has the same problems of 22.5.1. I'm going to try to find out which is the last version compatible with my laptop. For now Photoshop 20.0.4 works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

Just wondering what size is your Hard Drive? 

Are there 2 hard drives? Perhaps your boot drive is a 128gb or 256gb and you have a 1TB secondary drive?

The reason I'm asking is for the Photoshop Preferences - you can set the Scratch Disks to the larger drive?

Might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is installed on a Samsung 980 PRO 2TB with about 1.5TB free atm. The second drive is a Samsung 960 EVO 1TB, completely free atm. But it doesn't make any difference where I install or where I put the scratch, the 2021 version is always incompatible. I even tested it on an old Intel NVMe, it just doesn't work.

But Photoshop 2019 works perfectly just immediately after installation. I'm going to try version 2020 meanwhile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found this: https://feedback-readonly.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-22-when-i-click-a-menu-and...

Looks like a lot more people have the same problem and Adobe is not interesting in solve it. But someone there found out that the last compatible version to our system is 21. I just installed Photoshop 2020 21.0.1 and it works perfectly. I hope one day Adobe fixes it, but meanwhile I'll keep this version until my subscrition ends and then maybe I'll just return to some old perpetual license.

The video shared on that link shows exactly how horrible Photoshop 2021 workos on my system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do you have HIDPI Override enabled? https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/high-dpi-scaling.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines