• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2021 iMac OS Catalina freezes upon startup

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop freezes 2021 on iMac 27" (Late 2013), OS Catalina V10.15.7 just updated,, 24 GB ram upgraded from 8GB (thought that might be a problem, but wasn't), Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT. PS freezes upon startup since upgrade to Catalina and upgrading to PS 2021. See many others having simar problems and have tried a couple of the proposed solutions to no avail. Please help, many thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble while trying to launch Photoshop. Would you mind telling us the exact version of Photoshop you're using? Please ensure you have the latest version (22.4.1) of Photoshop installed on the computer.

Please ensure Photoshop has the necesary permissions by following the steps mentioned below:

1. Go to the System Preferences for your Mac, then Security and Privacy, then select the Privacy tab.

2. Then select Accessibility from the list to the left & check if Photoshop is added to the list with a check mark in front of it.

3. If Photoshop is not a part of the list, please add it by unlocking the window first using the lock at the bottom left, then clicking the + icon & navigating to the Applications folder.

4. Also, grant permissions to Photoshop under Full disk access located in the same list as Accessibility.

5. Once done, restart the Mac & check if it helps.

If the issue persists, you can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back to me. I am using 22.4.1. I did the check marks for accessibility and full disk access and restarted the computer. Same thing. Looks like PS is starting and I see the pink puffy flamingos and the wheel just spins forever thereafter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another explanation for the freezing is that Catalina 10.15.7 doesn't keep its OCL in order, and that, in turn, corrupts Photoshop's ability to use OCL acceleration across a wide range of features.

Apple fixed this problem, but only offers the patch in OS 11.3.

All you can do with Photoshop is disable the OCL acceleration manually, presuming you are able to launch the app long enough to toggle the OCL setting that exists in Preferences > Performance > Advanced.

For some, restarting the system restores OCL long enough to modify Photoshop preferences, but for others, even that doesn't work.

The fastest resolution would be to change this preference. The most effective solution is to upgrade the OS to 11.3. We are discussing a patch to 10.15.7 with Apple, which would be a welcome update from our standpoint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark, thanks for the note. At the risk of sounding stupid, what is OCL? As my computer is late 2013 it may not take the most recent OS and someone told me that Catalina is end of the road for this older Mac 2013. You likely know better than I. I can't get into PS at all to make any changes. It shows that I have the latest Catalina OS 10.15.7. Frustrating. Thanks for your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OCL is a language that is useful for various processing algorithms. It has been an industry-standard for a dozen years, but lately operating systems are slowly deprecating support for its use. Turns out, it's more widely used by lots of applications, so removing it is proving harder to do for Apple or Microsoft than they would like.

Adobe has been working to modernize its use of newer methods, but our work isn't complete, so we still depend on OCL to accelerate the performance of a few of our features.

Given that it's being deprecated in the long run, it's no suprise that it got broken with an operating system update (10.15.7). OCL support was restored in 11.3, but that presents a challenge for customers in your situation if your system cannot upgrade to Big Sur.

While we are working with Apple to fix the issue for 10.15.7, the best we can advise for Photoshop is to turn off OCL using that switch.

The key determinant for whether your system can upgrade to Big Sur is whether it has support for Metal. If your system supports Metal (and Apple GPU technology), then you should be fine.

If your system does not support Metal, then there is nothing Photoshop can do to extend life on your system, since Adobe is also interested in progressing our performance and capabilities to take full advantage of GPUs. If Apple is saying it's the end of the line for Apple computers, they are effectively saying the same thing for all the apps that run on that system. You would have to continue to use the software that works on that system, which means probably downgrading to version 22.1 (guessing that may be the last stable version, but don't quote me on that; try things out to see what works on that system).

Here is a link that describes how to get previous versions of Photoshop: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mark will try the fixes you suggest and learn a little more. I printed your link so lots of things to try. Appreciate your guidance and kinda interesting what's happening in cyber land background. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed the oldest version of PS (21.2.8) and it works with Catalina 10.15.7. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, that's good to know! Let me know if it continues to work for a bit; I will start recommending that if it holds true over time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines