• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2021 keeps crashing when opening RAW (CR2) files...

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There, I have a problem when opening RAW files in Photoshop and Lightroom. Everytime I open a RAW file on one of these programs they crash almost immediatly and so does Mac OS. So I have to 'hard' restart my Mac. So I don't get the possibility of sending a crash report. I'm working on a late 2015 iMac with 32 GB RAM. Any Idea?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

It is the GPU, but you need to disable it in Camera Raw preferences, not Photoshop preferences.

If you can't open ACR, you can do it from either Photoshop or Bridge.

The problem is a buggy video driver. Unfortunately you can't update the driver separately in MacOS because it's integrated in the OS. It has to be fixed in an OS update.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the applications crashing. Could you please try deselecting "Use Graphics Processor" located in Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and Lightroom and let us know if it helps?

Regards,
Sahi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately it did not work 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the GPU, but you need to disable it in Camera Raw preferences, not Photoshop preferences.

If you can't open ACR, you can do it from either Photoshop or Bridge.

The problem is a buggy video driver. Unfortunately you can't update the driver separately in MacOS because it's integrated in the OS. It has to be fixed in an OS update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that 'trick' did it... Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, but with the Windows version. I have tried disabling use of the graphics processor in PS and in Camera Raw, but this doesn't help. PS completely freezes whenever I try to open a CR2 raw file from my hard drive. I then have to close PS via Task Manager

Strangely enough, if I go through Bridge to select the same file, then "Open in Camera Raw", then go to "Open Object", then PS starts and successfully opens the image.  But I don't want to go this route every time, and I should be able to open an image  directly from my hard drive  without going through  Bridge and Camera Raw.

Would love some help to resolve this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, waitin fo any solutions!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just had te same problem.  There was also a little white box with nothing in it. The last time the white box contained a warning that I had reached my limit on machimes . It thought I had photoshop open on two machimnes and gave me the option of closing one . On doing so it started working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi 

I have been having the same issue for over a week now and still no luck. 
Have tried the above suggestions with no differences. 
Changed the GPU, opened in Bridge & I can't edit anything! 

Both programs just freeze

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines