• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2022 (any version, including the most current) randomly hard reboots PC. IS GPU related.

Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I know that this is a GPU issue since turning off hardware accel fixes the issue, but who wants to deal with PS without hardware accel? 😕

I've tried many different drivers, Nvidia Studio, Game Ready, different versions. Some from only a couple months back to a couple from a year ago. No dice. GPU is a Gigabyte Nvidia 3080ti BTW.

A couple times I've gotten a crash to desktop instead of a hard reboot. Those I've sent to Adobe, but PS says the workaround is to turn off GPU accel and try different drives. BTW I've also tried turning off just some GPU options like OpenCL... Well, all of them but 30bit display, unless I have GPU totally off.

Also, this is a pretty new (4 months or so) computer so this install of Photoshop and all the other software is new on this PC. I did a completely clean install.

Does anyone know a version of the Nvidia drivers that doesn't do this?

System Info is attached as a txt file.

Lastly, my GPU passes all the requirements according to the GPU test in PS.

Thanks! This is driving me crazy and slowing down my work.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Final post on this matter. I hope...

This is part of an email I sent to Bruce. He requested that I post it on the forum so it's here for others to potentially use.

[Start of edited email. Email edited for clarity and easer reading.]

Hi Bruce

I do VHS tape restoration on Resolve, Gaming, and 3D modeling that I then render. I've seen my CPU at 100% more times then I can count. In fact, I need to buy a new UPS because this PC can overwhelm it. I've side-stepped that for the momment by moving a coupl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg,

The issue is very likely that problems occur during some level of "heavy" use. Most programs do not make heavy use of most of the system computing resources. For example, browsing the web or sending email or editing documents are not going to place a heavy strain on the system. When it comes to applications making heavier use of the system resources (or perhaps using some system resource that other programs are not using) our sense, based on reading the postings discussing these types of crashes, is that the problem is more likely to occur under such heavy-load conditions. Why ACR is triggering the issue and some other resource intensive program such as Photoshop alone may not be doing so is not something we can speak to as we don't have a full understanding of the underlying hardware problem.

Some of the posts in the threads linked in a previous post above (about people experiencing similar crashes on systems with AMD CPUs) indicate many people encountered such problems when running certain games or running certain math-heavy stress test tools. Those are programs which tend to stress the system by crunching a lot of numbers very quickly, much as some Adobe applications do.

Whether you are talking to AMD directly or the manufacturer of your machine or motherboard, I would think it would be enough to indicate to them that you are getting this Hardware error in the Event Viewer when using a certain program or programs. Such an error should never be happening and it indicates a problem with either the hardware or the configuration of the hardware. Software should not be able to cause this type of a hardware error.

As previously mentioned, the ideas people have tried to resolve these problems are varied and they are discussed at some length in the previously listed threads and likely on other online forums. Clearly you have pursued undoing some of the Overclocking but there may be other ideas there to try.

It sounds like you may have assembed this system yourself. I would think a good place to start would be with the motherboard manufacturer as they could have experience with this type of problem and they may be able to provide some recommendations.

Finally, I see that in a recent reply above you listed your CPU as an "AMD Ryzen 7 5800X". My original interpretation of the family/model codes in the Computer Info.txt file you had provided in your original post here had me thinking it was a different AMD CPU. Chances are that either the data in the .txt file I viewed was wrong or (more likely!) I simply interpreted it incorrectly, but a double check in your windows system info to see what type of CPU Windows thinks is installed couldn't hurt. My guess is that it will be AMD Ryzen 7 5800X as you have indicated but on the offhand chance it's not it could be another possible avenue to pursue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly check to see if the motherboard mfr has an updated BIOS?

Here are some additional threads which contain other ideas people have tried:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/jzfgj1/ryzen_9_5900x_random_crashes_with_whea/

https://www.overclock.net/threads/gigabyte-x570-aorus-xtreme-owners-club.1729350/page-42

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bruce

I do VHS tape restoration on Resolve, Gaming, and 3D modeling that I then render. I've seen my CPU at 100% more times then I can count. In fact, I need to buy a new UPS because this PC can overwhelm it. I've side-stepped that for the momment by moving a couple things off of it for now.

I'm sending you a report from HWMonitor. I have no idea what all is in it since it's longer then some novels.

Yes, I do build my own systems.

Thanks for replying and looking into this for me. I don't know if the extra info in my post or in HWMonitor will help, but I thought you should have the information.

I'll check out the links you've provided and check out the firmware.

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Final post on this matter. I hope...

This is part of an email I sent to Bruce. He requested that I post it on the forum so it's here for others to potentially use.

[Start of edited email. Email edited for clarity and easer reading.]

Hi Bruce

I do VHS tape restoration on Resolve, Gaming, and 3D modeling that I then render. I've seen my CPU at 100% more times then I can count. In fact, I need to buy a new UPS because this PC can overwhelm it. I've side-stepped that for the momment by moving a couple things off of it for now.

I'm sending you a report from HWMonitor. I have no idea what all is in it since it's longer then some novels.

Yes, I do build my own systems.

Thanks for replying and looking into this for me. I don't know if the extra info in my post or in HWMonitor will help, but I thought you should have the information.

I'll check out the links you've provided and check out the firmware.

Greg

By @Greg Presseault

[End of email.]

[Summary due to length and complexity of the above email.]
Lots of tests done on various CPU cores. Inital problem was with Adobe Camera Raw, but later tracked back to my CPU (AMD Ryzen 7 5800X)
Problem suddenly stopped when 2 things changed on my PC. We still don't know which, or even if, either actually caused the change. No other software, firmware, or drivers changed.

1. Photoshop updated from 23.3.1 to 23.3.2.
2. Windows installed 2 updates; KB5013942 & KB5013624.

Neither of these updates should have fixed the problem, leaving us with something of an unsolved mystery.

As for me, I very hope that this problem never returns. That said, I do hope that the information posted here is of some use to others facing similar problems.

Big thank you's go out to Jeff and Bruce for all their help during all of this. 🙂

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

a many months latter.... THIS PROBLEM inssuess again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines