Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2022 does not make autosave files

Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear members, 

I'm having some issues with photoshop corruping files, and photoshop saves these corruptions into the images. The varriation of the corruption changes but it seems to be a problem occurion in more than one image when several are opend. I don't know why this corruption occurs but it looks like a problem with either the videocard or in proccesing a effect. I could live with the problem if I am able to recover the file from a earlier date.  I have autosave enable (it its by default now a days) and I know where the location is from those temperary files, but for some reason I can't see them in the designated folder. 

So the problem is that I can't save a corrupted and If i did ( I usaly have multiple files open they all get some weird artifects and save those when I want to close photoshop even if the file didnt had any problems the moment i was working on it.) I can't retrive my autosave. Does anyone know why i can't find my autosave files? I have allready deinstalled and reinstalled photoshop back to default.

Please let my know

MacOS Monterey - iMac i9 2019 - Radeon Pro Vega 48 - Files are edited from a Server

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Files are edited from a Server" do you have the same issue working locally

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ged, Yes i've tried it saving localy, but even then no .tmp files are saved in the autorestore folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that working from a server might cause extra issues, but this is a high preformance server intended for heavy workloads like video editing an photo editing. The errors might be because of this netwerkconnection but its hard to find the real problem. If I have the file restore folder I atleast have a back-up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The temporary autorecover  files are for crash recovery if Photoshop crashes. If Photoshop closes successfully then they are deleted.

With the exception of PSDC files saved to cloud, for which there is versioning, Photoshop does not save over your existing file unless you instruct it to with Save (Ctrl+S). If you see corruption on screen do not save. Instead use Save As with a new name so the original is untouched.

As Ged mentions above, in his link, working on files directly from a server is not supported due to the risks of file corruption.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave, So everytime photoshop closes it deletes these temp files? The problem I had today was that the corruption occured in one image and I restarted photoshop, saving the files I've already edited and discarding the one with the corruption, so I though, but instead it saved the same corruption on all the images. Is there a option to save those temp photoshop files or any other form of autosave part from saving it as a new file? The save as function will be leaving me with huge amount of files and costing me a lot of time cleaning it after a project is finished.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incremental saving and versioning is a time-honored and proven precaution. We all do it for important work. The small inconvenience of cleaning up later is a small price to pay for the insurance.

And to repeat what Dave said, autosave is crash recovery, nothing else.

The root cause of the whole problem is in the video driver. Photoshop uses the GPU for actual data processing, and the result returned to Photoshop for further processing. It doesn't just go downstream. In this loop, a bug can cause corruption in the data.

There was a Photoshop bug identified in a recent release that could under some circumstances do this, and that version was immediately (within a few days) withdrawn and removed from download. If you're up to date with the latest version, that problem will no longer be present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'There was a Photoshop bug identified in a recent release that could under some circumstances do this......'

I'd forgotten about that Dag. For clarity - the current version (without that bug) is v23.4.2

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks D Fosse,  I've made sure that I was on the newest update so this shoudn't be a problem. But the "looks" of the corruption sure look like its got something to do with the GPU, this time it occured after adding a curves layer, nothing special. Anyway, I work with a lot of PSD files and sometimes a few dozen open at a time. saving a few gig's of data isn't really a problem but tis could could really at up. Its a shame that photoshop doesnt have a autosave function like premiere, or atleast could use it like such as a fail save. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines