• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2022: Gradient map and CMYK color

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the adjustment layer in CMYK mode, map 100% K to 0% K, I get output in all CMYK colors - useless!
When I import a Grayscale file into a CMYK canvas (as a smart object), it is also converted to all CMYK colors. I'm sorry but this doesn't strike me as a bug, but as a fundamental flaw and misalignment.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Update to 23.0.1. Gradient Fills and Gradient Maps created in prior versions will look the same when opened in 23.0.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also experienced this today, this is really REALLY bad!

Please fix this ASAP, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jakubk83931695, Please describe the steps you are taking - one at a time. 

i.e.: how do you create the image?

what do you mean by "using the adjustment layer in CMYK mode"

- which specific adjustment layer are you referring to?

also you mention "output in all CMYK colors"

what do you mean by output?

do you mean that the file you have open now has colour in all channels?

In CMYK print (depending on the ICC profile) even neutral black is created using a mix of CMY aswell as K [it's known as "rich black"] so that means converting a greyscale image to CMYK will result in a mix of colour. You'd have to delete the CMY channels to get an image file with just K.

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
[please only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah what? ^^

Gradient layer effect on a layer is set to ONLY K but now it is processed in CMYK in Photoshop.

This even happens to older fotos with this adjustment opened in Photoshop 23.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would assume gradient map is basically an RGB function operating on RGB numbers.

In other words, any CMYK numbers are translated via working RGB, and then the returning CMYK output is always 4 plate.

Yes, I can see that a K-only gradient makes sense. Post it under "ideas" (aka feature request).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't agree more - in the previous version it worked exactly as one would expect - when in CMYK, the gradient was in the chosen colour. In addition, adjustments that require RGB are unavailable in CMYK mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. If it worked previously, then it's "bugs", not "ideas".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Otevřete jakýkoli starý soubor .jpg v RGB (neotevírám upravený soubor - pro jistotu).
2) úpravy / převést do profilu: CMYK Fogra 39 - nyní jsem v CMYK barve módu.
3) adjustment layer - gradient map - levý (tma) bod 0;0;0;100, pravý (světla) 0;0;0;5 (CMYK)

A teď bych měl mít šedou 0;0;0;40 (Photoshop 2021), ale mám 40;32;31;10 (Photoshop 2022). I know about "rich black" ale když chci černou, tak chci jenom černou.
Používám tento postup pro specifickou úpravu WB fotek do knih - ostatní CMY barvy přidávám následně ale pouze do stínů.

Adobe: Please fix this ASAP, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I´m sorry, I paste wrong text 🙂

1) Open any old .jpg file in RGB (I don't open a modified file - just to be sure).
2) Edit/convert to profile: CMYK Fogra 39 - I am now in CMYK color mode.
3) adjustment layer - gradient map - left (dark) point 0;0;0;100, right (light) 0;0;0;5 (CMYK)

And now I should have a grey 0;0;0;40 (Photoshop 2021), but I have 40;32;31;10 (Photoshop 2022). I know about "rich black" but if I want black, I only want black.
I use this for specific editing of WB photos for books - I add other CMY colors afterwards but only for shadows.

Adobe: Please fix this ASAP, thanks!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not only Gradient Map but Gradient layer effects have the same issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update to 23.0.1. Gradient Fills and Gradient Maps created in prior versions will look the same when opened in 23.0.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is new feature Method: Perseptual/Linear/Classic. It appears in Gradient and Gradient Map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enLk_6wtaUY

Change Method to Classic and it'll work as previous. In the begining of polish version of new Photoshop there was a bug and there was no possibility to change Method, but now it's OK. Almost OK because Photoshop doesn't remember this setting in Gradient Map and Perceptual is always default selection. Gradient Tool remembers last selection and you can set default to Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just change the Method to Classic. 

Kerwin5E7B_0-1649181898406.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And still this has to be done in photoshop 24.1...

Is this ever going to be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines