Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PHOTOSHOP 2022 with latest upgrades too buggy

Enthusiast ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a mac running 12.2.1

I've been running the  23.2.1 Photoshop release, but its behavior has been getting weirder and weirder.

And I've gone back to Photoshop 2021. It's more stable.

My question:

is it the app, Photoshop 2022, that's now a mess with recent upgrades? Or is it MY photoshop 2022?

If it's mine, should I uninstall and reinstall ansd then do all the updates?

Here's what Photoshop 23.2.1 has been doing for days

1. Image/Adjustments/Brightness-Contrast simply stopped working.

I trashed the preferences. (Specifically, User/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 2022 Prefs.psp) After that,  it worked for a while. Then it stopped working again. Went back, trashed Prefs again. This time, didn't help.

Someone suggested using Curves as a workaround. Curves does work, but it's not the same, is it?

I started making my modifications in Lightroom,which I DON'T like to do. I like to work in Photoshop. Or I used to like it.

2. Tools started acting crazy. Everytime I tried to use the pen tool, I'd start a path, touch the pen in the image, and it started. throwing out (I down't know what they're called) those adjustment arms and giving me curved lines whether I wanted them or not. I could not make the pen tool draw a straight line. Even holding down the shift key. Just wild curvy lines everywhere. I started using the Lasso tool. I prefer the Pen tool. Actually I LOVE the pen tool.

3. Making a selection: outliningsomething and then hitting Shift/Return is supposed to make a selection. That didn't happen. My drawn lines didn't turn into the crawl-y lines. Couldn't make a seletion.  Workaround. Chose the magic wand tool. Sometimes it worked. Sometimes it didn't.

4. Transform tool more troublesome than usual (I'll never understand why it sometimes tells me that there are no pixels selected when there ARE a bunch of genuine pixels right there). Anway, it was taking forever to do little adjustments. Lots of beachball spinning and noise from the computer. The activity monitor was going nuts. 

Then photoshop just froze, crashing with what I'd been working on.

That's when I went back to 2021. Everything works as expected.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop 2022. Please ensure that Photoshop 2022 has the necessary permissions on your Mac by following the steps suggested below:

1. Go to the System Preferences for your Mac, then Security and Privacy, then select the Privacy tab.

2. Then select Accessibility from the list to the left & check if Photoshop is added to the list with a check mark in front of it.

3. If Photoshop is not a part of the list, please add it by unlocking the window first using the lock at the bottom left, then clicking the + icon & navigating to the Applications folder.

4. Also, grant permissions to Photoshop under Full disk access located in the same list as Accessibility.

5. Once done, restart the Mac & check if it helps.

You can also try enabling the option to Deactivate Native Canvas from Photoshop by going to Preferences, then Technology Previews. Once done, relaunch Photoshop to check if it helps. If the issue persists, try disabling the option to Use Graphics Processor by going to Preferences, then Performance. Relaunch Photoshop & let us know if the issue still persists.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mine is a total pain just now far too buggy!!! with everything I do, memory errors, filter errors, RAW filter errors, sky replacement errrors.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's honestly such an unbelievable pain to use, I've been struggling to get the most basic stuff done as I work on pattern preview! I'm also thinking of just going back to the previous version. So counter-intuitive. Sigh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Multithreaded Compositing - and restart Photoshop. Better?
Go to Preferences > Performance... click Advanced Settings... and uncheck "GPU Compositing" - then restart Photoshop. Any better?

Try logging into another account (you may need to make one). Any better?
Or try starting up in Safe mode (hold down Shift Key when booting).
You might want to try running a free utility like Onyx:
https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html
Also view:
https://www.macworld.com/article/352902/onyx-review-macos.html
https://www.macworld.com/article/224955/how-to-reset-a-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html
From Adobe:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-troubleshooting.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi- When I go to Go to Preferences > Performance... click Advanced Settings... and uncheck "GPU Compositing"  --> there is no option to uncheck GPU Compositing. 

Here is my current problem: (I'm on a MACbook pro running the most current version of Monterey.) 

with the move tool selected, I right-click on a layer (to select it). Then I try to move the layer. However, the wrong layer moves. Happens. constantly. I have to select the layer and use the arrow tools to get my selected layer to move. My productivity has plummeted. I've been using Photoshop since the mid-90s. I am not a novice and would consider myself an expert user. Right now I'm considering moving to Canva. I figure learning a new package would be more expeditious. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi- This is still an issue. Even though I've used photoshop since the mid-90s, this is my first time (I think) posting here for help.  It's been 3 weeks since I posted my issue. Perhaps this is not the best place to get photoshop bug help. Does anyone have any ideas on how I might resolve this? Or is this a bug I/we just live with? It's extremely irritating to have to move layers into place with the arrow key. My productivity has plummeted. Thanks- Annie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using Move Tool; show us the Options bar along the top for the tool.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! Here is the toolbar with the move tool selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines