• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2022 won't open mp4 files

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently have a new Dell laptop and since then I cannot open mp4 files with photoshop 2022. I did use media encoder and converted the file from mp4 to quicktime file. Afterwards, I could open in the new format. Any ideas on why the mp4 files won't open?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Hmmm.. That is strange... The only thing that comes to my mind is that maybe this newer video was created using a different codec. Although, this doesn't explain why Photoshop doesn't open it and it doesn't help.

Maybe try to convert the video that doesn't open and try to open it in Photoshop again?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The mp4 files in question, do they open in other applications on your computer? Is it just Photoshop where they don't open?

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thanks for the question. Yes, other applications were able to open the MP4 files. I made this video on July 23 using a GoPro 10 with higher quality video settings and slower frame rate (not sure if that matters yet but see this next paragraph)...

Last night, I was able to open an older MP4 file from last December. Photoshop opened that file but could not open the MP4 of July 23. Again, other applications opened the July 23 video. The main differences of the file are frame rate and size. I made a comparison of the file properties uploaded below. I could not upload the video due to the size. 

Thanks for your question again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm.. That is strange... The only thing that comes to my mind is that maybe this newer video was created using a different codec. Although, this doesn't explain why Photoshop doesn't open it and it doesn't help.

Maybe try to convert the video that doesn't open and try to open it in Photoshop again?

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I converted the video to a MOV file and it opened. I am not sure what the "glich" is...thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad you got it working in the end 😉

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to say this but this is not a solution. Why do we have to buy other softwares to compensate for a photoshop error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a good question... 😉

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ensure the MP4 file uses AVC (H.264) codec and not other codecs like HEAVC (H.265) codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does one do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two of my .mp4 files are not importable; two of my .mp4 files are importable.
The error message states "... no video frames."
It's been almost a year and this hasn't been fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the videos that are not importable playing fine in your video player? Is it just Premiere not recognising them?

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After hours spent in vain with Adobe agent, I solved the issue. Basically Photoshop will not open any video file that is using the H265 Codec. This needs to have the file converted to the H264 codec in order for PS to open it. How do you do this? Download the free VLC player. Open up the video file in the VLC app click on the left-hand tab at the top and scroll down to open  "convert/save". it asked you where you want to save the converted file, so provide a path for it. The converted file will be using the H264 Codec which opens in PS. I wish Adobe would include this solution in their reference manual rather than wasting hours of guessing  what the problem may be!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines