Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 21.1.1 Text Font Lag Performance Issue

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe,

I just upgraded to the latest version of photoshop - 21.1.1, and now I am running into a very annoying bug which makes working with text difficult.

When I press backspace to remove what I just typed, photoshop lags and sometimes respects the backspace command.  At the moment I have to press backspace about a 100 times to remove one line of text from whatever I'm typing.

It doesn't matter which font I'm using.  Arial performs the same as all the other fonts do.

I unchecked all the type preferences and noticed that nothing is different.

So... how can I type?

I'm running the latest version of Windows 10

Thanks, have a nice day,

-  Tyler

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:  It appears to be an issue with the GPU:

This was never before an issue with Photoshop, but if I turn the gpu performance to "Basic" that seems to fix it.  For the record, I am using a Nvidia GTX 1080

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind, it's back now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this sometimes happens when I'm typing as well.  It gets laggy and sometimes doesn't respect a letter of whatever I'm trying to type.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nvidia make three device drivers for there Geforce adapters The default recommend certified driver on their site is the Game Ready Driver Drivers.  Then there is the beta driver and the other drivers Nvidia call the Studio Driver. Nvidia  stated this driver is for the Professional users  that use application like Adobe's. Do you have the studio version  device driver installed?  2/3/2020 version

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I would first try to reset the text tool by doing a right click on its icon in the Option bar.

Right-click the tool icon in option bar to reset.Right-click the tool icon in option bar to reset.

There is also a reset in the Character panel top right menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! that worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for the 2023 version! Select Type tool from left column, then right-click the T with the dropdown arrow beside it, at the top left of the workspace. Clicking Reset Tool caused the lag to stop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the exact same problem!!! It is incredibly annoying and has not been fixed with the newest updates. Have you been able to work around it? I hate having to type in another program now.

I question my Photoshop subscription more often now, why are we paying so much money for so many bugs? I'm fed up at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a HUGE problem persistent in my setup as well. Photoshop 20 was O.K., but the text transform performance in 21 and 22 is outright broken, laggy and furry inducing to work with.

P.S. I'm using the studio driver. RTX3090 FE and Ryzen 5950X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, I'm running a high end Ryzen 5950X with RTX 3080 and all other apps run butter smooth but Photoshop text tool can sometimes lag for 5 seconds before doing anything.

Let's see if Adobe fixes this in the year 2030 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Here!  What the hell are we paying for?  And still nothing from anybody at Adobe about this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

because who else is there and Adobe knows it dosen't have to care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.

RTX 3080, Ryzen 9, 64g ram, it definitely comes from the software.

Since the 2022 update I also had big lags whilst moving in the pictures/zooming in and out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem-lag with Fonts. Pretty strong PC.

@MartinDedron Try disabling rules, it helps in some case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rulers*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to me that an update made it work! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today is february 10th, 2023, and I have a similar problem.
I use a lot of programs simultaneously (illustrator, photoshop mostly, after effects sometimes) and i need to keep many google chrome tabs open. When I turn on my pc, everything works fine. But as the day goes on, I get some annoying lag on Photoshop.
This lags works like this: whenever I have to create a new text box, the "T" shortcut activates the tool and then it simply turns off, by itself. I am obligated  to get the mouse all the way, click on the text tool at the tool painel. And it happens everyday.
I have a AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Graphics, 64,0GB RAM, GeForce RTX 3060, Windows 11 Pro. All my drivers are updated (windows, adobe and GeForce) and I have no clue why this happens. 
I ran some tests to check if it was a RAM problem, but no, nothing there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, it´s April, 2023, and looks like adobe have no clue (or doesn´t want to say) WTF is going on with so much people having this anoying problem over and over again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday a friend gave me an idea. He said "maybe you have too many fonts installed on your system". I checked and I had more than 5k fonts on my windows. I uninstalled all of them, leaving system fonts only (126 i guess). Restarted the pc and started working. Well, the problem is still there.. 😞   help me Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SO ANOYING !! 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having same problem from months thought its time to upgrade system but after even upgrading to high end the font section lags srooling on selcting fonts and text moving with cursor lags only problem with texts else everything is super smooth but with text its bad I  dont even have more than 70 fonts and my system just got cleaning with fresh start new window new software everthing 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found anything? facing this from so much time but this problem dosent let me be creative and i want a solution please help i am with photoshop 6+ hours everyday cant adjust more i tried everything software download windowds format ram upgrade ssd upgrade its from photoshop pleaseee comment or reply with anything i will try every possible thing i havent done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am facing this issue with the current version of Photoshop. Anybody has a workaround yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Serious lag when using font tool, makes life very difficult. Ever since update from 2020!! Please resolve this for us all soon. It takes me 10 mins to change an item and 1 price on menu's! Ridiculous 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines