• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 21.1.2 Zoom and Pan Freeze

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running into a problem where zooming and panning via the hand tool's spacebar shortcut seems to freeze up everything but the navigation bar at the top of Photoshop on Windows 10. 

It doesn't happen every time I use spacebar to quickly access the hand tool and pan, but once it does, Photoshop is nearly non-responsive. Luckily, I can still save my document, but that's about it. The view will be frozen, my default system cursor takes over so I'm unable to see the tool-specific cursors, and none of the tools are able to be actually selected. It's like everything besides the top menu is completely frozen, like I'm staring at a screenshot of the Photoshop I was just working on as opposed to running the actual program. I originally wondered if going into fullscreen mode would help, but it didn't seem to work at all.

It should be noted that I've replicated this issue with a mouse, since I originally thought this was an issue with my pen tablet display. I actually spent a couple days uninstalling both Photoshop and my tablet drivers and starting from scratch - down to removing excess files by hand. I've also run through some cursory troubleshooting steps, given Photoshop more access to RAM, and switched over to legacy compositing to see if it'd help. Nothing, so far.

Currently, my temporary fix is to save the file and completely restart Photoshop. I had originally been closing the file but not Photoshop, and just reloading the piece, but it seems like the error occurred more frequently with this fix as opposed to completely closing and starting up again. The error feels random, so I can't verify that this is the case, however. Quitting works for a short while, obviously, but it's impossible to tell when you're going to have to do so again, and doing this dozens of times within a couple hours is really starting to drag.

I'd love to find a fix! The spacebar zoom and pan is SUCH a huge part of my workflow when painting and photo-editing. I absolutely love it and don't want to have to live without it!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Hi All,

We are happy to announce the June release of Photoshop 22.4.2 that should resolve this issue.

This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug fixes and security updates

To update Photoshop to 22.4.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. See More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 146 Replies 146
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I´m facing this problem for a long time and even with the new update, 22.5.1, it is happening. 

Wille paning the image for making paths, painting or retouching, suddenly the image freezes, I´m able to save the file but I have to reopen the photo. It is very annoying. 

The only measure that makes the system stable is turning of the flicker pan tool, but lose the tool.

Windows ink on

I work with 50mp images

Wacom cth-670

Windows 10 - 21H1

HP Pavillion i7-8750-H

32gb Ram

Nvidia GTX-1050

2 SSDs 

Samsung evo 970 1tb

Crucial 500gb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

23.1.0 - still the same.

Saving, closing, loading gigabytes in circles, since months. I'm sorry, but this is getting ridiculous.

Sys info attached, Win 10 x64, Wacom Intuos 4, windows ink off.
Same Plugins, same system since years, no problems whatsoever, until someone at Adobe messed up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since this forum structure isn't quite clear to me, I'll now answer to myself 😛

I just lost an hour's worth of masking, since the mask SEEMED to apply and I was able to exit saving the file, yet the edits weren't applied.

So it would be great if this could finally be fixed, instead of playing around with super fake neural filters.

I'm sorry I'm coming across pissy, but I just am after my last experience. Back to wearing out the "Ctrl-S" keys? Please, not.

I'll now disable flick panning as well. Plase make it work - again, like it did perfectly just not too long ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and for that, we were forced to get new CPUs! I'm glad I still have my CS4 master suite, and seeing what a pain PS has become (amazingly good selection tools aside), I'm happy I haven't yet switched over to subscription with the rest. I'd rather handle the occasional 32bit quirks than constantly having to reload projects like with PS.

An what's even better: this being marked as "fixed"!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what's going on with Adobe and PS development but they don't care about bugs or feedback at all, the problem with slow curves/HSL/etc on zoomed in view is also for more than a year and they don't even try to fix it. They just don't care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does this resolve this issue for people who Cannot upgrade to version 22? I have a user Mac os 10.14.6, and running photoshop 2021.4 which was the latest version he can run on his os, in our Business environment. Please confirm this is a bug so I can report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still happens with the latest version. Mouse, not tablet. I zoom in, at 700% the artboard jumps to the right and can't be zoomed out from anymore - as usual.

Version: 23.3.2 20220503.r.458 d8a9c44 x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's become even worse. Twice in like 10 minutes.
Zoom in, pan, and it seems the artboard jumps back to the origin you try to pan from with every increment (pixel?) and then halts where you panned to. In full frquency of the screen or so, I'm happy I'm not an epileptic.
As soon as I let go of the mouse button, it jumps back to the origin. Panning is only possible with the horizontal/vertical bars, I guess I'll resort to that instead of saving/loading forever AGAIN.

NOT fixed! NOT FIXED!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having this issue with latest update, v23.5.1. Only solution for me is to save and restart. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since nothing is being done to fix this, I assume it's too hard to imagine what's happening, so I created a little screen capture: https://youtu.be/11l8CygVLzY

Note:

1. Zooming is only possible with Ctrl-Mouswheel
  2. Panning is only possible using the scroll bars
After houra of work, this starts happening. The only way to get back to normal is by exiting Photoshop. Saving and reopening all those tabs is just gonna be lovely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2022 Aug 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still experiencing this problem. It only started when I built a new computer this year. Photoshop v 23.4.2 on a amd threadripper 3090 build. My intel dual core intel i7-7600k with a 1080 didn't have this problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having the same problem, even after the latest update. It's very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope this is helpful, I have tried to solve this problem and the bubbles that appear when pressing CTRL ALT CANC all day and this thread helped me fixing both problems in one shot.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem/flick-panning-frequently-freezes-working-document...

I have followed this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nL10xGIA_s

I am using:

windows 10 home edition

wacom one 13"

photoshop 22.5.0

Hope this is helpful to someone as it's been for me, sorry if someone else posted this alredy,

cheers

Custom Brushes for Photoshop: https://aaronrutten.com/photoshop-brushes Is your Wacom tablet scrolling instead of drawing in Photoshop after updating Windows? This video will walk you through the steps to disable Windows Ink and force Photoshop to use the WinTab driver instead. This works great if

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This method doesn't work for the lates Photoshop version (the pen preassure is not supported).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have followed this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nL10xGIA_s

Ok, this method fixed my issue! BUT...

It is shown for the older version of Photoshop. In the new version:

1. You don't have to create PSUserConfig.txt, because:
  2. In the Photoshop folder there is a "Required" folder. And In that folder you already have the PSConfig.txt
  3. Edit PSConfig.txt and add one line: 
UseSystemStylus 0​

4. And like it is mentioned in the video, the Windows Ink must be turned off.

This fixed my issue as I can see now. We'll see how it will act in a long time perspective.

P.S. Why won't Adobe watch this video-tutorial?.. If this setting in the PSConfig may conflict with some other stylus functions which I'm not aware of, then just make a checkbox in the Photoshop preferences which will change this setting, without need to hack the Photoshop system files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed 22.5.1 and I am still having this issue. It has gotten worse. it is making working impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issues, working with a Cintiq 27QHD, disabling "open cl" in the settings did it for me. No freezes since then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... for 45 minutes, then the same thing happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 23.0.1 - Same exact zoom/pan freeze issue. 

Have disabled "flick panning". Testing now to see if the issue still persists. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, going from one version of PS to another. But with latest update I almost can't work at all. If before it was happening once in 30 minutes or less and restart was happening, now it is each 2 minutes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like this issue is more and more visible now, my solution was to use 21.x which was stable in my case, but since 22.x the problem was always visible at some point, let's hope Adobe will start the investigation finally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As described above disabling "flick panning" seems to solve temporary the problem. It is a workaround only. Without flick panning there is a degradation of usabilty obviously.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jody, are the rulers showing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rulers were off. I have not had any issues since disabling "flick panning" on 11-16-21. 

Are the rulers part of the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem on Windows 10 and even worst on a brand new Windows 11 machine.  Please fix this, it almost renders photoshop usless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines