Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 21.1 Saving a copy instead of overwriting the origional

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have never posted here but have been an avid user of Photoshop for the last seven or so years, I have recently been noticing an issue on my photoshop where over the last couple of months whenever I go to overwrite the save of either a .png or .psd (could also be happening for .jpeg but I never use that file type) it asks me if I want to replace the file. I click on replace and then it still goes ahead and makes a copy. Which is quite annoying when you have to go back into the folder to rename the new file and dispose of the old one.

I use a MacBook Pro with macOS Catalina and as previously stated am using PS: 21.1.1 if possible I would prefer not to update photoshop as frankly I would rather use MS paint than the newer updates of photoshop.

any suggestions would be very much appreciated

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out.

You are experiencing one of the known issues with Photoshop and macOS Catalina, where Photoshop saves a copy instead of overwriting an existing file with the same name.

This is fixed in newer versions of Photoshop. You can try to update macOS Catalina to macOS Big Sur or Monterey.

There were two workarounds available for this issue if you choose to refrain from updating Photoshop or macOS.

Do any of the following:

• Manually rename the saved file and remove 'copy' from the file name.
  • Save the file to a different location.

To learn more about this issue, please check this article to learn more about this issue: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

We hope this helps,

Thanks

Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, That is what I figured,

I will try to update to Monterey and see if that works. 

Appreciated,

Seve 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines