• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 22.1 is now available - but it's beta software that should not be in release.

Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe the number of posts I see about errors in PS 22.1

Looks like we're pay'n 50 bucks a month to be con'd into using unstable software.

Does adobe have a beta cycle for their releases?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solid here except that in 3D mode, with a mesh and with material *psb's open same time, you have to be EXTREMELY careful not to use Undo and even layer deletions in the psb. It breaks the smart object updating of the psb and the psd it's nested in becomes desynchronized. You'll see creation of *.psb1's in the first scratch disk or the temp folder when that happens. As far as Adobe having users beta test new versions, this has been Microsoft's paradigm on Win10 for ages until very recently ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get an error that prevents this release of PS from saving files if the graphics processor is toggled on. Adobe is blaming this on the Nvidia studio driver I have installed for my RTX3090, however earlier versions of PS run fine with the graphics processor toggled on. So it's not an Nvidia problem. It's a shoddy release of PS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problems here with an NVidia 2080ti and NVidia Studio driver 456.71

3D is buggy but has been for several versions now.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, so you have different hardware = different scenario. Why are you chiming in?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rant away - I'm out of here

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bad, your right to post here. I got distracted by thinking about my specific issue with the latest release, which wasn't why I started this thread.  I did start this thread to rant!  Because I think it's incredibly lousy for a big company like Adobe to pump out a release that's not production ready and clearly buggy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then start your thread on Adobe feedback site. Why rant on fellow Photoshop users. Rant on Adobe Adobe Photoshop Family

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm happy to send in feedback but my experience with feedback to 20billion dollar corporations; it falls on deaf ears. Case in point was when I was on the phone with Adobe customer service about my issues, (similar to what Davo here stated below), the Adobe rep tried to pass the buck and blame Nvidia. If we can't even get a live person to acknowledge and accept responsibility for their lousy release then I feel peppering the feedback forum is, imo, a waste of time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya hope 3D gets some serious attention. It's superior to Blender not only in the tons of brushes and effects but also in 3D mode, you can paint on 2 seperate meshes at same time (without having to Join together first), ie a head and body where you want the neck seam to be perfect and invisible. It also projects images onto the mesh VERY well. PS has erasers .. there is none in Blender .. just an erase with alpha. Where Blender blows PS away is of course everything it was meant for. 3D mesh manipulation (zoom, pan, rotate) in PS is awkward and rather infuriating. In Blender it's very easy to paint then rotate .. pan .. whatever .. and start painting again. PS's camera control is awful .. tiny little icons .. needs revamped big time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best tool for painting 3D objects is Adobe Substance Painter. Those Photoshop brushes can be used in painter and multi channel work for 3D is a cinch.

The one area where Photoshop beats it is applying text, as PS has better controls for kerning etc. , although an Alpha created in Photoshop can be used in Substance as a mask or stencil.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have to admit I'm repulsed at the idea of another Adobe app. Substance wasn't but I see it is a recent aquisition of Adobe's but it looks good and I will demo. Yes Adobe apps run great and are well thought out while in the programs but O my. They are the dirtiest (OS wise) I've ever seen. My temp drive is ALWAYS loaded with useless log files (most from Creative Cloud app), Not fatal error reporting log files either .. they are like " everything is fine!" type log files. Numerous directory creations too. Why are they releasing debug versions of software to the public? Those should be kept internal. Worst part is there is NO housekeeping. They just build up. I had over 120 log and temp files after just one day of Photoshop use while clearing c:\temp before opening PS that morning. Creative Cloud is malware by any definition. I've disabled most of the CC "services" and PS still runs. Far less NGLClient* garbage now. Really the only thing I care about is updates and as this thread points out, they are needed. Is it written anywhere the minimum services needed to keep the apps updated (and license enabled)? I care so little for the extra bloatware that is CC & Adobe ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I  pay for my wife Photo subscription and Adobe rewards me with a full subbscription.  I install PS  with it come Bridge on our machines.  I install no other Adobe application.  I have no desire to learn how to use an other complex Adobe Application when I know the will be many issues and Adobe support is not what it should be.  Adobe will fix major bugs the do not feel the need to fix all reported bugs.  Adobe support is not what it should be. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you want Photoshop 21.2. Can use. Photoshop 22 is not ready yet. So you can't do better in the beta version. Hope you understand.

Best Regards

(Link removed by moderator)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe publish there are known issues in Photoshop 2021 version 22 that they are working on the.  Use Photoshop 2020 version 21.2.4 till  Adobe address the issues in Photoshop 2021 version 22.  You can have both versions installed on your machines.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. So Adobe should call it 'beta software'. Why label it as a legit release if it's so buggy?  I can't tell you how thrilling it is to get two hours into working on a client project only to loose all the work because of a bug in the release. 

I don't want multiple copies of one piece of software installed on my machine. I want one stable copy. I pay for this and should get this. It shouldn't be a roll of the dice on the latest release, that they're calling legit, but in fact isn't stable and ready for production work. Autodesk suffers from the same desease of 'add features & pump out product' so they can make their quarterly sales revenue all at the expense of their current customers... 

Blender on the other hand knows how to do software releases, Adobe should take note. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have many problems with the recent version of the software: from typical problems such as not being able to save the files I am working on, to the ordeal of using the zoom tool (it is impossible to correctly visualize my workspace when zooming in or out on the illustration or whatever you are working on at any time). Even when I try to combine layers, I always get an error message. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the reason I started this thread.

The official Adobe response on how to fix this is, wait for an update! it's Nvida's fault (it's not)! 

The actual fix is install an older version of PS. I'm on 21.2.4 atm and it's stable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If GIMP had the same contextual awareness, logical layout, procedural UI, and the 3D capabilities of PS, there would be no reason to have an Adobe subscription. Gimp dev's seem pretty proactive and responsive whereas Adobe moves like a bloated government institution .. beauracratic, slow, and unresponsive. Wouldn't it be nice to have an actual Adobe employee that wasn't some non technical idiot from marketing-PR visit this place and leave some kind of evidence they were here? Even a pic of a empty beer can (if posted by them) would suffice ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix this.
Getting errors on opening any psds. 
Scrubby zoom is all out of sorts.

Running an INSANELY powerful machine for realtime 3D.

I work in this program for work and fun.

haaaalllp!

TH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who fix what?  This is not a fix it site it is a user forum site.  Photoshop is also not a great 3D application it an image editor realtime 3D give me a brerak that's  not Photoshop...

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who will fix scubby zoom so we can fluidly zoom in on our psds?  I haven't checked out the latest version of PS, because they lost my trust with the last buggy release, BUT the version I'm using 21.2.5 still looses scrubby zoom if I do so much as re-size an image. I then have to save, kill the app and restart it. It's laughable that Adobe can't get this right. So yeah, somebody please fix it!! I've pinged customer service and submitted bugs and feature requests and Adobe doesn't care. 

I also like u/Jealous, use a powerful computer that's primarly for digital art (and realtime 3d) and can see that his statement about PS's piss poor performance doesn't have anything to do with realtime 3d. 

And yea, I think this is a great place to vent about this kind of thing. If enough users stop using their products and switch to better alternatives like Procreate, or Afinity Designer then Adobe might actually start shipping releases that work - and more importantly fixing basic UI functions like a reliable fluid (aka scubby) zoom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can Procreate be installed on my dell workstation can Afinity Designer and Afinity Photo be scripted like Adobe applications. The is no Application that is perfect for everyone. Photoshop is far from perfect there are bug in Photoshop  report as far back as  CS2 that are still in PS 2021.  And more have been added.  Still I use Photoshop for even with all its faults for there is no other single application that can compete with all of Photoshop's features.    Many Photoshop user do not need many of Photoshop features there may be other application the are better suited and easier to use than Photoshop.   Adobe new bugs do not bug me much I have several version of Photoshop I can use till Adobe get Current Photoshop reliable again. 21.2.5 is quit a good version.  22.2 is not.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd agree with your sentiment if it wasn't for the fact that Adobe can't even get a basic UI function like ZOOM to be stable. Hey all those other apps can!  It's laughable that Adobe can't / won't get a handle on this. I'm not debating platforms but pick any other 2d image editor or painting app and said developer manages their code well enough to maintain basic bug free UI functionality. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe development processes are not what they should be. Adobe need new better management.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines