• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 22.2.0 uses all the system memory.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the installation of version 22.2.0, Photoshop uses 100% of the system memory without any open file.   Turning on (or off) the 'preset syncing' and press OK results in the message 'Preset syncing is in progress. Once syncing has completed Photoshop will quit'. When pressing OK, Photoshop wil freeze and only a

forced stop is possible.  Bug? 

My system: 27" iMac 5k (2017) MacOs Big Sur 11.2.1

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter, I apoogize for the inconvenience. I'll reachout via email. Thanks! Claudia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comment. Later today i will respond to your email.   Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I also experience the same kind of problem, on a PC.

Is there a fix to this? Because it's making PS impossible to use.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am also experiencing the same problem on Mac Bigsur, since I updated to 22.0.0 version of Photoshop, and its very annoying as finally I can't use the program at all.

Thanks for a quick fix please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi azizn1715991, it seems this is a bug. I got a solution from Adobe that worked for me on Photoshop 22.2.0 (MacOs Big Sur 11.2.1) I hope you had that too from Adobe.  The problem is the preset syncing option. If switched to on, Ps 22.2 uses all the system memory. Switching off 'preset syncing' was no longer possible. Do you experience the same problem? 

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Glad to hear from you! oh I experience the same, but mine was not solved at all, as I did not receive any solution from Adobe. So I ended up to not using Photoshop anymore since 03 days now, until a solution is found for this "preset syncing" issue.

I am also runing MacOs Big Sur 11.2.1 on a Macbook Pro 15" Touch bar.

Regards.

Aziz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'd rather revert back to Photoshop 22.1.1, waiting for a patch or an update from Adobe.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also reverted to 22.1.1 .  Seems to be the only way to keep using PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, could you pls explain how you managed to switch off "preset syncing" once after it was turned on? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even turn off this thing because photoshop crashes once i click ok on preferences. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For MacOs Big Sur:

• Close Photoshop
  • Create a text file an save this as PSUserConfig.txt
  • Add PresetSync 0 to PSUserConfig.txt and save this. 
  • Add PSUserConfig.txt to the Photoshop Settings folder.
  • Where to find the Settings folder? Open the finder and go by the menu to go/go to folder and type:  ~/library/Preferences/
  • There you will see the folder Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings.
  • Open the Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings folder and place there the PSUserConfig.txt file.
  • It the PSUserConfig.txt already exists, copy the file to a safe place, then place the new. The PSUserConfig.txt file with the PresetSync 0 rule, will force preset sync OFF.
  • Restart Photoshop. After restarting Photoshop, it should be possible to work with Ps 22.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For MacOs:

• Close Photoshop
  • Create a text file an save this as PSUserConfig.txt
  • Add PresetSync 0 to PSUserConfig.txt and save this. 
  • Add PSUserConfig.txt to the Photoshop Settings folder.
  • Where to find the Settings folder? Open the finder and go by the menu to go/go to folder and type:  ~/library/Preferences/
  • There you will see the folder Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings.
  • Open the Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings folder and place there the PSUserConfig.txt file.
  • It the PSUserConfig.txt already exists, copy the file to a safe place, then place the new. The PSUserConfig.txt file with the PresetSync 0 rule, will force preset sync OFF.
  • Restart Photoshop. After restarting Photoshop, it should be possible to work with Ps 22.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

It worked like a charm, thank you for giving this workaround;

Stay safe and blessed.

Aziz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter-B

This soulution also worked for me with Photoshop 22.3.
Thank you so much for sharing it here in the community.
Best Greetings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, it actually worked! I could not use open and save commands at all (PS would crash at 10% save every time).

Thanks for sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually scratch that. It's still crashing. Not only when saving. I really regret subscribing to CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2022 Sep 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

a bit later but here's another way without creating documents

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/sync-presets.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Claudia, could you please help me out with the same issue on Window 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, as I and others explained in antoher thread ('Preset Sync issues'), I also face the same issue on Windows with Preset Syncing option.

There is absolutly no possibility of making PS work correctly in 22.2 once this option is checked for the first time in the preferences. When I want to exit PS, the program says that it will do so when sync is done, but it never ends. It seems there's a memory leak because all RAM is used to the point that, after a few minutes, the computer has a black out and nothing respond. I also tried to uncheck the Preset Syncing option but any choice with the 'Yes/No/Cancel' prompt lead to the same memory issue, without even removing the option in the first place. Then, I did a reset of preferences but the Preset Syncing is still checked after that (return to square one). Lastly, I reinstalled Photoshop but to no avail. The option is still checked. I don't want to reinstall the OS... I already did it last week for another reason... Trying to resolve myself this issue is like bashing my head against a brick wall. 

I think the problem isn't directly tied to the sync itself, because both PS and CC sync status are OK and my network isn't used neither when PS freezes (0.00MB/s). And by the way, can we see somewhere on the webpage or the CC app the supposed preset files that we synced ? Can't we erase them directly so that PS doesn't try to download anything ?

Hope this major bug is taken into account, it doesn't seem ackowledged by Adobe at this point. Is there a way to help us individually or must we wait for an update of PS ?

Have a good day !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, as soon as Photoshop opens, within seconds 58 GB of memory are filled, if I don't end Photoshop through Task Manager before the memory leak prevent the computer to ran out of memory, Windows 10 will crash.

I tried to set off the Preset Sync feature, but once I try to close the Photoshop Settings window so it saves my changes, Photoshop stop responding, and the memory leak continues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same Issue. Can you reach out to me as well. I am not able to use photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME ISSUE!!!

I can't use Photoshop anymore

I already reinstalled my Windows, still not working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ON WINDOWS:

go to:

%APPDATA%\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings

there u put the file like on mac, like other said before-

• add new file: PSUserConfig.txt
  • with content: PresetSync 0

then you're able to run Photoshop again!

Damn what a annoying bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated today to v22.3 from 22.1.1. The "Preset Syncing" was still checked by default.

I placed the PSUserConfig.txt on my PC and it seems to prevent PS from overtaking all the CPU and RAM.

But when I tried to quit PS, it gave me the "Preset syncing is in progress.." dialog and crashed my system.

Reverted immediately to 22.1.1 after reboot. Thanks, Adobe. Just the push I needed to migrate completely to Affinity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines