• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 22.3.2 inexplicably large file sizes, painfully slow saving, Win 10

Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS has been running (surprisingly) well for a while, but over the last few days saving a .psd or .tiff has become a nightmare. 
For example - file I'm working on at the moment has 4 layers of full pixel coverage with masking and about a dozen adjustment layers. File size is 2.6gb and saving it takes about 5-10 minutes. 
A very similar file from a few weeks ago, 1.2gb and saving (whilst originally working on it) was almost instant. 

Just opened that earlier one back up replaced one adjustment layer with a slightly different one, save took forever, now it's a huge file. Tried the script for the metadata issue, no change. Any ideas?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Davince,

where are you trying to save your files (cloud, computers, external storages)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Direct to an SSD within the PC that's dedicated to working PS files only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Photoshop > Preferences > File Handling > Disable Compression of PSD and PSB Files checked? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is indeed. I tried both ways just to see if it helped speed up saving but it made no difference to save time (though I must admit I forgot to check file size for notable changes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A 2.6 GB file is pretty big, and will take quite some time to save. There's no way that can be "instant" as you describe it, so those files can't possibly be comparable.

Also, the difference in save times between PSD compression on or off is pretty dramatic. It's on the order of three minutes vs. 15 seconds. So again, you can't be comparing similar files here.

Long save times are mostly CPU encoding, not actually writing to disk. You can check this for yourself in the Task Manager while saving a big file - you'll see the CPU peaking for most of the time, followed by a very brief spike of disk activity. Files with lots of adjustment layers tend to take a long time, they are apparently more math-intensive in the encoding stage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the entire point of the question posed, it shouldn't be a 2.6gb file, PS has suddenly started producing inexplicably large files with no changes made. I'm trying to work out why?

the exact same file saved some weeks back was half the size at its biggest and was fairly instanteous whereas now it's taking up to 10 minutes. Something has gone astray without any changes being made by me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Davince.net wrote:

It is indeed. I tried both ways just to see if it helped speed up saving but it made no difference to save time (though I must admit I forgot to check file size for notable changes!

Then do that please. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just done it, no change at all to the file size or the time to save. Still painfully slow, still huge file sizes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: I hadn’t remembered that this applies to 16bit and 32bit images. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

One thing more you could try is setting »Maximise PSD and PSB File Comatibility« to »Never«. 

Saving as a new file should get a smaller size which may also »translate« to speed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just gave that a quick go. Very slight reduction in file size (2.5gb instead of 2.6gb) but the speed translation... I'm not accurate enough with the stop-watch to tell a difference haha.

Just to add to the confusion, I'm working on another file at the moment and it's nowhere near as bad. It still seems oversized to me but not to the same degree. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you provide one of the old/smallish files and the corresponding newly saved/big file? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll see if I can make it happen on some images I can share later, the last week's work is unfortunately all under a NDA for the time being - thanks for the suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines