• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 22.4.2 flickering on M1 Apple Silicon running macOS Big Sur 11.4

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone having issues with PS flickering on 11.4 on an M1? I was running the current version of PS CC 22.4.2 and today kept getting weird graphical glitches. Anytime I scroll I get heavy flicker and any file I opened wouldn't render properly. I downgraded PS a few steps and still the flicker. I ended up changing the GPU settings first disabling Open CL and restarting PS that didn't do anything. Reducing the level of GPU usage and restarting PS didn't either. I had to disable using the M1 GPU entirely and restart PS before the app was usable again. Updating back to the current PS version still seems stable so I'll leave the GPU acceleration disabled for now. I'm not seeing any posts on this yet. Is it just me?

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the experience due to the screen flickering while using Photoshop 22.4.2. You can try going to the Preferences of Photoshop, then Technology Previews & enable the option to Deactivate Native Canvas. Once done, quit & relaunch Photoshop to check if that helps.

If the issue persists, you can also try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 

I had the exact same issue and after trying all else, the resetting of the preferences seems to have done the trick!

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT WORKS!!! I was having the same problem, but "Deactivate Native Canvas" actually fixed it!!! THANXXX!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, make sure you're on 22.5.1. There's a fix for native canvas issues for macOS in that release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked on Photoshop 23.0.0 version on MacBook Pro with M1 Pro chip! I was so annoyed to see this as I had no problem with it previously. Thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you @nikunj.m! I thought it was my imac that was the cause of the flickering. worked like a charm! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this great tip!

My flickering issue started after upgrading to macOS Monterey (Version 12.2 (21D49)

I only had to enable the option to Deactivate Native Canvas, and fixed!

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) • 2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Thanks!

Mike 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had this problem on a Mac Studio, works at it should now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with my M1, 16" MacBook Pro in Photoshop. Your advice to enable the Deactivate Native Canvas solved it in one click. Many thanks for the helpful (and easy) solution.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this fix! It worked immediately. I was getting worried following multiple posts about this issue with no real resolutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your suggestion worked for me too. I thank you for monitoring the forum and providing a solution. 

I have a question though... why did it get to this point? I can't imagine that a robust beta test would not have included a test on the new Mac computer. Some of the problems have lived through several updates. Since buying a new MacBook Pro and loading PS on it there have been a long series of bugs. Rulers out of place and having to turn off rulers to fix the problem. The workspaces no longer save correctly. Flickering that requires turning off a remote option that I never used before. The open image appearing off screen and not remaining centered when adjusting the image with navigator. To list just a few. 

I know the software is enormously complicated and the code is probably in the hundreds of thousands of lines, but a test of any new release on the latest Apple computer would seem to be a no brainer given the strong link between artists, Adobe and Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact same issue on an M1 and the recommendation below about Native Canvas did not fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for the update. Is flickering happens when you use Photoshop or illustrator/Indesign together?

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop. I have to turn off the use of the GPU in Photoshop, which is
frustrating because it limits the ability to rotate the canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is from the beginning when I installed PS on M1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. It seemed to be caused by the window being off screen. Resizing seemed to fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm! The window was off screen and that caused the insane flickering (M1, Big Sur, 22.4.2 PS version)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Centering the screen seemed that fixed for awhile, but now it's happening again. I happens on PS and AI both running native. I tried resetting prefs and disabling gpu none worked. it something with the programs. Any other ideas? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps try a thorough reset of Photoshop preferences?

(read this entire post before acting please)

Resetting restores Photoshop's internal preferences, which are saved when Photoshop closes.

If they become corrupt then various issues can occur.

Here’s some info on how to do that:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Manually removing preferences files is the most complete method for restoring Photoshop to its default state: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually

Note re macOS: The user Library folder is hidden by default.

To access files in the hidden user Library folder, see here for how to access hidden user library files.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

Unexpected behavior may indicate damaged preferences. Restoring preferences to their default settings is a good idea when trying to troubleshoot unexpected behaviors in Photoshop. check out the video

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

Learn how to access and modify Photoshop preferences and customize per your frequent workflows

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

And here’s an earlier forum discussion as an aid to understanding

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-reset-photoshop-pre...

You may want to backup your settings and custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences.

Here is general info about that:  https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#BackupPhotoshoppreferences

Before you reset your preferences

in case of future issues, I suggest you make a copy as Adobe may need one to check problematic references. 

Quit Photoshop.
Go to Photoshop's Preferences folder

Preferences file locations: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preference-file-names-locations-photoshop.html\

[on MacOS see: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

Note for those on macOS: - be aware that the user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

In the Finder, open the “Go” menu whilst holding down the Option (Alt) key.

Library will now appear in the list - below the current user's “home” directory. ]

Now you can drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe as a back-up of your settings.

Note for those on macOS:

Preference preservation is affected by macOS permissions,

you’ll need to allow Photoshop ‘Full Disk Access’ in your Mac OS Preferences/Security and Privacy

It may even be time to reinstall Photoshop.

It’s recommended that you use the Adobe CC cleaner tool to remove all traces first.

(See above about preserving preferences though! Its worth preserving them unless they are corrupted.)

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Uninstall Photoshop BUT make sure to choose the option “Yes, remove app preference”.

Once that process finishes, start the installation process and look into the “Advanced Options”. Uncheck “Import previous settings and preferences” and choose to “Remove old versions”.

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer

google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a bug in newest update Photoshop 24.01. When a move the cursor (tool doesn't matter) the app is flickering.Skärmavbild 2022-11-29 kl. 12.53.20.pngSkärmavbild 2022-11-29 kl. 12.53.36.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the solution posted above? It seems to have worked for many people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Marcilo here,

I am facing same issue while design logo of my website marcilo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi it's Hassan here.

i am having these issues while  designing logo for digienfo.

Tried several methods but didn't help

what is the easiest easy way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whether you’re embarking on a musical journey to the renowned Beale Street, delving into the legacies of Civil Rights heroes, cruising along the majestic Mississippi River, or indulging in the rich culinary and beverage offerings, you’ll discover a Memphis hotel conveniently located near your primary points of attraction. Whether you prefer stylish boutique accommodations within beautifully restored historic venues or well-known hotel chains you trust, you can easily find the perfect lodging in the ideal neighborhood to match your Memphis travel plans.

https://tourtofind.com/downtown-memphis/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines