• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 22.4.3 not enough RAM for anything

Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adobe, please help. PS 22.4.3 still has major RAM issues. I keep getting random "not enough RAM" messages for very simple things. The RAM allocations are maxed out in the preferences and it's nowhere near using the amount of RAM available in my machine. It can't seem to export a 379kb bitmap to the clipboard without running out of RAM. This problem has only been occuring since the last 2 updates. I've been using this computer for 2 years doing high end 3d graphics so I know it's not the machine. Restarting the app or the machine only gives me a few minutes to work before it runs out of RAM again. Since I'm here, please fix the DCS 2.0 problem as well. When I save a new or open an older DCS 2.0 file, I get the index thumnail image and not my full resolution color channels which are apparently still in the file because I can still RIP my linked separation files. Updates shouldn't be moving us backwards. Please fix quickly.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Terry5CA1 Sounds frustrating for sure. On your RAM, when you say "maxed out" what does that mean? You should be around 70-75 percent. 85 is the maximum recommended. Did you try purging the memory? Edit > Purge > All. Here's a round up of performance optimizations: Optimize performance Photoshop (adobe.com) If none of these steps help maybe roll back a version if you are stable there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

The preference allocation doesn't have any effect whether at minimum or
maximum recommended. Purging the memory doesn't have enough RAM to purge.
That's kind of the problem. I've run the gauntlet on most all possible
solutions and fixes. It comes down to the app, not my settings. I've taken
the app to the bare essentials with all brushes, patterns, filters etc. at a
minimum, no other apps running in the background and after a fresh restart
of both the app and the machine, I still get a "not enough RAM to complete"
box. It pops up at random whether I'm working on something big, something
small, saving a file, shrinking an image, using a filter, closing a file,
etc. I've been through the help sites that all say the same thing, check
your preferences, purge your memory, close apps, uninstall to an earlier
app. I'm simply posting my issues so adobe will be aware of the issues and
hopefully fix it on the next update so I don't have to keep paying monthly
fees for old software. : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Terry5CA1 I hear you. Seems you have tried everything. I am also using Windows 10 Pro and the running the latest PS version (22.4.3 20210708.r.317 bb896cc x64). The app runs fine for me so far with all types of actions and files I've tested. My system is not as new or powerful as yours either. I only have 16 GB of installed RAM and my graphics card is several generations old. I keep everything up to date, run disk clean up to remove temporary files, and check my Task Manager often to end Adobe processes I don't need as they tend to pile up. Are you running a lot of third-party plug-ins? With no documents open, scroll through Help > System Info to see if any failed to load. Other that this, I don't know what to recommend. Something is causing memory leak for you.

Also, FYI, this is a user-to-user forum so even though Adobe employees pop in to help users from time to time, you will need to log your issue through the feedback forum here: Adobe Photoshop Family

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome. I will try that. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please let us know how things turn out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't set photoshop to use all of your memory and make sure you have plenty of scratch disk space. Also, try turning off your antivirus to see if that fixes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.

Photoshop worked until I updated to 2022 - This is an update problem as this is the only variable that's changed.

Laura5E04_0-1641870749917.png

I cant work on a single layer 64x64 pixel image - somthing isnt right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laura5E04_0-1641870911679.png

Thats a lot of memory to be using, is this normal? 

Its a 40kb file 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same on Photoshop 23.3. I have 16 gb RAM on Ryzen 7 - 80% for PS.

Any solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any updates on this? I too and having the same issues when I shouldn't be - please help. I effectively cannot use photoshop at the moment. Other applications works like Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your system info, every computer is different.

FWIW, I'm using an old HP EliteOne 800 w/16GB of RAM, actually below supported spec, and working with 32MP RAW files from a Canon 90D. At home I just got an M1 Mac mini and have 50MP files from a Canon 5Dsr. In both cases I am fine for memory- at work I use Bridge alongside PS, at home Lightroom Classic.

I do NOT recommend a computer with 8GB of RAM, and I have plenty of free SSD scratch disk space on both production computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, specifics are needed here. There is no "issue" with RAM that I'm aware of (I certainly don't have any myself).

Two common reasons for this to happen:

One, maxing out RAM allocation in Preferences. Never do that - it will choke the whole system. Don't go above 70% unless you have a lot of RAM (32 GB and upwards). Other applications and processes need RAM too - even Photoshop plugins like ACR need their own memory outside Photoshop's allocation.

Two, a computer with integrated GPU and little RAM to begin with. An integrated GPU shares system memory, and it will eat into available memory for Photoshop. Again, unless you have a lot, this can quickly bring the total down to less than the minimum PS needs to run. With a discrete video card having its own onboard VRAM, this is not an issue.

As long as Photoshop has the bare minimum of memory to run, the main load is carried by the scratch disk. That's Photoshop main memory, with RAM more like a fast access cache. But there has to be a minimum of RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines