• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 22.5.0 and "sometimes" malfunctions

Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For years I have used Photoshop CS6 without any problem on the MacPro 2013. With the update to Mojave I started to have small malfunctions, for example the slowness in saving the first file (then the following saves returned to be normal), but nothing more serious.

In May I decided to upgrade to the Photography Plan subscription version (Photoshop + Lightroom).

But instead of improving many things got worse, so much so that I started using the CS6 again.

Some problems:

- Alignment to the guides sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. For example, I have to create a tile floor, so I create a series of guides and then copy-paste twenty tiles to obtain twenty levels. At that point I move the single tiles by matching them to the guides, mixing them randomly or rotating them. Sometimes the automatic alignment to the guides works and sometimes it doesn't.

- I create shadows using large brushes with low coverage values, sometimes the color “comes out” and sometimes it doesn't.

- I paste an image and a new layer is created, then I want to deform that layer by moving the "handles" at the corners or in the centers of the 4 sides. Sometimes to get a certain effect (eg proportional scaling) I have to press the shift key and sometimes not. This is to achieve the same thing !. When I then want to drag those handles to make them match some guides, the alignment sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't.

What I don't understand is the randomness of these malfunctions. To solve sometimes just switch from Photoshop to the Desktop and then go back to Photoshop. Other times just open another file and then go back to the first one. But often have to close and reopen the file I'm working on, or even Photoshop.

There have been two Photoshop updates in the last month, but I haven't noticed any improvements.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Are you certain you are going from a jpg format to jpg on all your images?

Do some of your files contain a layer from cropping?

You dont have to "search and destroy" you can go to preferences/general and click "reset preferences on Quit" and relaunch PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The brush and transform "issues" may just be updates to the software since 2013 that you are not used to. 

This page explains the brush panel and options available - specifically it could be a pressure setting. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-modifying-brushes.html 

As for transforming, there are options to use "Legacy" transform controls. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/free-transformations-images-shapes-paths.html#transform_free... 

As for the alignment issues, double check your View/Snap and Snap to settings without a document open. 

If you have a document open when setting these, it will apply to the document, not the application. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer.

But it is not a problem of new or legacy options. I'm going mad because I have no way to FIX the behaviour of a function like transform (new or legacy). It happens that if I want to proportionally transform a level just pasted moving a handle, sometimes I have to press shift and sometimes not.

I can learn new behaviors or return to legacy, but it is absurd that my choice has no effect.

It seems a random behavior.

But this morning I found another "sometimes issue". I opened in Photoshop ten rectangular jpg pictures (exported from Lightroom in the same session) to crop in square proportions ad then save again in the same JPG format. Usually if I crop a picture and then Save, I was not asked to confirm the compression. This time when I press "Save" some pictures was saved immediately, for some others (random) a confirm window appears (see attached file).

I think that I will "search end destroy" the Photoshop CC preferences in the User Library. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You dont have to "search and destroy" you can go to preferences/general and click "reset preferences on Quit" and relaunch PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kevin stohlmeyer wrote:

Yes, all the pictures were simple JPGs saved in a single export session from Lightroom.

And THANK YOU for the tip about preferences. I have been using Photoshop since version 2.5 and I had never seen that option, it is certainly recent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Before answering again I wanted to be sure. One week ago I reset the preferences and now ... it works! I no longer had those issues with brushes, transforming layers moving the handles and saving JPGs. The only remaining problem is that every now and then I can't align a layer to the guides. But it doesn't happen very often.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines