• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 22.5: 5 Total Lockups in 2 Days Using Rectangular Marquee Tool

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this has been frustrating. Windows workstation on latest version of Win 10; updated to Photoshop v22.5 yesterday morning. Since then, I've experienced 5 instances of Photoshop completely locking up; can be closed only via a Task Manager end-process. All 5 times I was doing nothing more than using the rectangular marquee selection tool: no operation performed, just making a selection. Have used Photoshop for over 15 years and never had an issue like this. In three instances a recovery file was available--minus the most recent edits, of course--but in two there was no recovery file.

Each time this happens, I don't feel I can attempt trying again unless I reboot the system entirely in order make certain the cache and any app-bleed or buffers in RAM are cleared. But I certainly can't work this way and these three fairly small projects have now consumed a way disproportionate amount of time.

Has anyone else experienced this, and is there any immediate fix on the horizon?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2021 Aug 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found this related item here on the Forum from several months ago: Photoshop freezing after updating to 22.3 version on Windows 10. Presented solution dealt with enabling/disabling the graphics processor and pointed to Troubleshoot Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) and graphics driver issues. Note that on that Help page, note that the link for "Refer to the list of tested cards" is invalid; no link on that Help page to tested cards.

I'm running an older NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with 3GB on board. Not the best, but it exceeds current Photoshop minimums. I disabled "use graphics processor," rebooted the workstation, opened a project (PSD only 26MB) and made maybe a dozen editing operations before the rectangular marquee locked it up again. Surely if it's a graphics card issue with Photoshop v22.5 it would show up in the more advanced functionalities like 3D rendering, not just using the standard marquee selection tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same experience. I already unistall the v22.5 and working with the V22.4.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar here - older PC but beyond the required spec.
As far as I can tell using the crop tool prompts the program to lock up

Resetting preferences brings no improvement
Going back to the previous version brings back normal running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I realised most of my problems with Photoshop were happening after opening a set of images from Lightroom as layers in Photoshop.   Putting Lightroom back to it's previous version too appears to have stopped that causing problems too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines