Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Photoshop 22.5 causes computer to crash and reboot when opening PDFs

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I regularly use Photoshop to open PDF files and then batch convert the pages into images so I can create PPTX files from the images.  Immedately after updating to 22.5 photoshop crashes and reboots my PC everytime I try to open a PDF file.  Any ideas why this is happening?

I'm on Win 10.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rolled all the way back to 21.2.11 and the problem dissappeared.  I can now open PDF documents again.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry for the crash issue. Are you seeing the crash issue with all the pdf files? Could you please share some sample files with us via private message? 

You may try reset Photoshop preferences back to defaults and check if that helps. Here's the article for the steps: https://adobe.ly/3ceal5t Also, back up the existing Photoshop preferences if you have any custom brushes, action and workspace: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue occurs with ALL Pdfs, its not related to the content of a single PDF document.  I get PDF files from dozens of different users and they all contain different content.

Some additional context, the problem only occurs after the last page of the PDF is opened.  So if I am opening say 30 pages of a PDF document, as soon as page 30 is processed my computer reboots.

I'm hesitant to spend time backing up all my preferences and then deleteting them all from photoshop because the old version works just fine.  I dont need any new features in the new version of photoshop.  However, I'll give it a shot when I have time.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional info! I had not realized this but photoshop (the new version) crashes after EVERY file open operation.  So if i just try to open a jpeg my entire comptuer reboots.  Talk about bad error handling.  The older version continues to work normally.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A system hang or freeze requiring a computer restart usually means a low level failure such as a driver (bad video card driver, etc), failing hardware (hard disk, video card, etc.) or damaged OS installation. Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Use Graphics Processor. Restart Photoshop. Does the problem persist?
If this fixes it, try updating your graphics driver and re-enable Use Graphics Processor. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html 

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines