• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 22.5 : Still huge lag while using hue/saturation sliders on Windows 10

Participant ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm on windows 10 and I have both photoshop 21.0.3 and 22.5 on my computer and I can report a big lag in the hue/saturation sliders in 22.5 (when it's perfectly fine in 21.0.3). There's also a lag for "color replacement" and "brightness/contrast" sliders (the lag is a bit less important for "color replacement" though still sensible). To be clear I drag the cursor of the mouse/pen along the slider and the arrow of the slider is lagging way behind, and then it catches up without having crossed the remaining length of the slider.
Those issues happen both with the mouse or a cintiq pen. The lags are more important if the resolution or the size of the image increases.
It's very very annoying. Please please please fix this. I don't have a very fancy use of photoshop but those are basic functions and I'm unable to work with that. I still have to use a version that is now more than a year old while still paying for updates...

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Dec 29, 2023 Dec 29, 2023

I just solved it. Turn off windows ink on your drawing tablet

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop 22.5 due to the performance issues. Would you mind sharing the configuration of the computer you're using?

You can try optimizing the Preferences of Photoshop 22.5 using the steps suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

If the issue persists, you can try to reset the preferences of Photoshop using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2Qzc0K3

Please backup your settings prior to resetting the preferences. You can check: https://adobe.ly/2vNz6FG

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As always, I updated to the last version aaaand it's still lagging !

I don't understand why and how this constant issue is not the n°1 priority for Adobe but here it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nikunj.m 

Hi, thank you for replying, I work on a PC with an intel core i7-2600cpu 3,4 ghz and 12 Go of ram, with windows 10 family x64, version 20H2, build 19042.985 with a Nvidia graphic card (driver version 8.1.961.0).
My performance settings in photoshop are as follow :
75% of memory left to photoshop

history states : 40

cache levels : 6

cache title size : 128k

The same settings I use with my 21.0.3 version. Changing them in 22.5 doesn't solve my problem.
I tried to reset the preferences and it didn't change anything to the problem. The sliders of color balance, hue/saturation and brightness/contrast are all lagging. Strangely, the hue/saturation are the slowest ones.
A point maybe worth mentioning is that I downgraded to 21.0.3 last year because the sliders of the color replacement panel were slow as well and with 22.5 (I don't know which update changed it) they're quite normal (though a bit more slower than with 21.0.3).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tried to check for answers on the message board... Apparently the common answer was "hide the rulers", well I tried and it doesn't change anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe an indication of something : the  lag is less pronounced if I use the hue/saturation tool on a single layer 300dpi file than if I use it with the same image but 600dpi and not "flattened".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For info, the problem remains with the latest photoshop update from today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jeromea13244388 Sorry that the issue persists. Would you mind sharing the configuration of your computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nikunj.m 
Hi, thanks. I put the configuratuion of my computer in an earlier post, tell me if you need more : https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/photoshop-22-5-still-huge-lag-while-using-hu...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nikunj.m 
Also since my last post with my configuration, I moved to windows 10 21H1 and installed the latest version of the nvidia studio driver and it's still lagging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To anyone interested : I installed Photoshop 23.0 and the lag is still here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here even that i have a very strong machine
its really silly how many times we need to tell adobe developers about this 
paying to suffer while there is some free products provide better experience

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, can I ask you what graphic card do you have ? I had a photoshop technician look at my problem and his conclusion was that I should change my graphic card. I have an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 with 3GB of ram... So I thought of changing for a more recent model but if you still have the same problem with a more advanced graphic card, maybe that's not the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. It's more pronounced on the curves adjustments (as, I guess, more is going on) for me but it's been like this for several years' worth of updates, on multiple different computers, with various OSes and hardware configurations. I've detailed/video-captured it here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/adjustment-layer-lag-in-photoshop-sin...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I don't know if I've got exactly the same issue as you - but I've just found out that checking Technology Previews > Deactive Native Canvas does the trick. It's a work around for GSync stuttering but seems to work even if you've not got a GSync set up (like me). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so now I just heavily updated my config (change of computer) and I have a nvidia geforce rtx 3070 and guess what ? It still lags like hell compared to photoshop 21.03 !! So PLEASE can somebody at Adobe FIX this ?! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problems too... this isnt any help but solidarity lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

this issue is probably related to GPU code which was implemented in PS 22.x and it works for Adobe testing team but not for some customers (otherwise it would be fixed after so long time), currently I was able to make it quick when there is no zoom (ctrl-0) but it slowdowns when I zoom in

to give you little more info about this bug (I am trying to request help from Adobe for about a year now):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-slow-curves-adjustment-layer-with-zoom-too...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-21-1-2-zoom-and-pan-freeze-...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/could-you-point-me-to-workaround-for-...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-delay-while-zooming-in-or-out-with-mouse-s...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-2021-22-5-1-running-horribl...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-23-x-broken-just-like-22-x-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah it sounds all related to this change in use of GPU from Photoshop 22 going forward. I went through a bunch of technicians myself (had even a phonecall with someone from Adobe in California although I'm in France) and the diagnosis was just "your graphic card isn't powerful enough". And now I see that it wasn't the problem.
I'm sticking to photoshop 2020 for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they are probably trained to help by recommending new card or new drivers.

Could you tell me how are you using PS 2020? It dissapeared from my system after PS 2022 was released, you were able to make it stay somehow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downgraded to version 2020 while it was still possible and kept it (you can choose to keep the previous versions while downloading the updates). Now it sadly disappeared from the list of the available versions. I managed to transfer it from my old computer to my new one but that's not helping you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From a couple of posts on these forums, it sounds like you can talk support into providing you with direct download links to earlier versions and so long as you've got an active subscription to CC to authenticate it, it'll work fine (just have to make sure you turn off auto-update!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it seems more specifically that it changed after 21.0.3 (I know because it was such a dramatic fall in performance, I did a bunch of testing at the time so still have that version - and enough computers to compare it to later v21 builds, as well as the later point releases).

One thing I've not tested out whether it's related to the Nvidia Studio and Quadro drivers, versus the GeForce drivers but the fact that it's crappy on the various macs I've tested it on too points away from that anyway.

Seems more like the test case - big, complicated and layered files - and using adjustments (hue-sat/curves/color-balance etc.) specfically; isn't one that Adobe gear performance towards since the change. On small pixel / not too many layers / low bit depth files the performance is essentially identical. Given that all the new features don't use classic adjustments (layered or directly) they're probably just not spending any dev time on something that doesn't appear to be a problem at first glance, and you'd only run into if you're actually using it for heavy retouching or compositing.

Given the chip shortage, I've not jumped to the 30xx series yet, so couldn't tell you if massive-overkill on the GPU would fix things but (and I appreciate this doesn't explain everything) the GPUs barely get touched if you look at the usage graphs - peaks of 2% and most of the 8GB RAM left so seems like a forlorn hope. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This hue/saturation lag bug is horrible and totally killing my workflow.

I wish I could at least downgrade to 21.0.3 again to be able to work with this software. But Creative Cloud doesn't let me, it is only giving me versions that are already broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see this discussions https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-slow-curves-adjustment-layer-with-zoom-too... it is probably same bug (it's not hue saturation, it's any adjustement layer), and people from Adobe replied there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines