• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 22 losses color when saving files to png

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 22:  When converting my saved tiff (had to convert the tiff to a jpg because of size) to a png there is a loss of most of the color

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Pro-PhotoRGB tagged images will wash out in an sRGB space. It's not a destination profile but an editing profile.

I'd suggest converting from Pro-Photo to sRGB. In fact use the Export feature in Photoshop and these settings:  Then export your Pro Photo tiff as an sRGB png preserving your colors.

File > Export As... or Quick Export as PNG  You'll have both the Pro-Photo original and a sRGB copy.

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 5.51.02 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Gene is right. Convert to sRGB if there is a possibility the file will be seen in an application without color management support.

I would strongly recommend that you don't use ProPhoto until you get more experience. ProPhoto is a very dangerous color space to use unless you're fully aware of all the implications, and you can take the necessary precautions. ProPhoto should never leave your machine, and you could even argue that it shouldn't leave Photoshop. It is, as pointed out, an editing co

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your original has a color profile of Adobe 1998, and your PNG is "Untagged"

Do you use File > Save As to convert to png? Make sure "Embed Color Profile" is checked on so the color information is saved to the png as well.

If you will upload this file to the web or open it in non-color managed applications, convert the color profile to sRGB. Edit > Convert to Profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My color profile, when save as is activated, is ProPhoto RGB and it is checked.  When the tiff is saved to a jpg color looks good.  Under same above circumstances and save as png it looses a lot of its color.  My cameras color space is set to sRGB.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pro-PhotoRGB tagged images will wash out in an sRGB space. It's not a destination profile but an editing profile.

I'd suggest converting from Pro-Photo to sRGB. In fact use the Export feature in Photoshop and these settings:  Then export your Pro Photo tiff as an sRGB png preserving your colors.

File > Export As... or Quick Export as PNG  You'll have both the Pro-Photo original and a sRGB copy.

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 5.51.02 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gene is right. Convert to sRGB if there is a possibility the file will be seen in an application without color management support.

I would strongly recommend that you don't use ProPhoto until you get more experience. ProPhoto is a very dangerous color space to use unless you're fully aware of all the implications, and you can take the necessary precautions. ProPhoto should never leave your machine, and you could even argue that it shouldn't leave Photoshop. It is, as pointed out, an editing color space, never an output color space.

The color profile should always be embedded in any case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to change the ProPhoto RGB that is listed in photoshop to sRGB but don't see how in photoshop preferances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the place to change color space.  Lightroom Preferances.  Thank you both for  your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If these files are coming from Lightroom, that's where you do it: Lightroom Preferences > External Editing.

Within Photoshop, Edit > Convert to Profile. Profiles are handled individually per file.

The Photoshop color settings can just be left alone. If there is an embedded profile in the image, that profile will always override your Photoshop color settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines