• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 23.0.1 font size does not scale with Windows font sizing or with Photoshop Interface opts

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a cross between a bug report and a feature request, as I'm not sure where it falls:

I am using Photshop 23.0.1 on Windows 11 system (AMD Ryzen 5600x CPU) on a larger display (3840x2160).    I also use Lightroom Classic 11.0 on the same PC.  When the system font size is set to the lowest setting, both programs have similar menu font sizes (which I would expect):

Shellie_7_0-1637027840763.png

When I increase the Windows system font size, Lightroom Classic scales its font size appropriately, but Photoshop's font size remains the same (see below as an example):

Shellie_7_1-1637027992100.png

My understanding (at least as of a few years ago) is that Photoshop's font size is meant to be able to be scaled with Windows font choices.  Or perhaps with the options in the Interface.  But the main menu and most of the text in Photoshop seems to correspond with neither.  

I've tried modifying the interface values on Photoshop (checking and unchecking the "Scale UI to font" and restarting Photoshop but did not see any change.

Shellie_7_2-1637028156090.png

In photoshop, the standard menu options (File, Edit, Image, Layer, etc.) are still very small and hard to see.   The sub menus (Edit->Undo, Edit->Redo, etc.) are very easy to see (I am guessing their scaling is handled differently, the sub menus behave more like what I expected.). 

There are various search results that suggest to add a manifest file or to change the compatibility mode for high DPI systems, but the latter just seems to generate "Fail to call postMessage as webview is not initialized yet."  Some have also suggested changing the resolution of the monitor to a lower resolution.  But these are all hacks unbecoming of a professional program which I have just spent a small fortune building a PC to use it on.

The bug report is that Photoshop 23.0.1 when run with a high resolution monitor and Windows 11 has very small regular menu text that does not seem to be changeable, either by Windows font sizing or through the Photoshop Interface options.  With Lightroom Classic 11.0 on the same machine it is very esay to change menu text size under Interface or have it be changed via Windows font sizing.   If Photoshop could handle its menu text size changes the same way Lightroom Classic does all of my problems would be solved.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Interface scaling on Windows is controlled by the OS. See: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/hidpi-retina.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, there is also an option in Edit/Preferences/Workspace: align UI according to OS setting. is that one checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did check it and restart Photoshop - it did not change the font size of the menu.  Still small. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interface scaling on Windows is controlled by the OS. See: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/hidpi-retina.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After tweaking another setting (System->Display->Scale) and changing it to 200%, Photoshop's menu is now a lot more readable.  I had previously only been modifying "Accessibility->Text Size".  Thank you for the reply, I will mark your answer as the Correct Answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have alos found this to be the only solution but it is a poor excuse for proper scaling of the menu fonts. Changing the scaling of the display defeats the purpose of having a higher resolution monitor. This solution reduces the resolution for ALL applications, not just Photoshop. I do not consider this a correct answere. Does anyone else out there have any other ideas? Adobe - are you listening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This seems a rather shoddy solution for what is often recognized as a very sophisticated Application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines