Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Photoshop 23.1 runs very slow on M1 Mac

Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I previously posted about the extreme slowdown in PS after the update to 23.X on my M1 macbook pro(32GB HD, plenty of free space, latest OS).  I tried all types of troubleshooting and feel sure it is the build.  I didn't really get any resolution but want to know if the engineers are aware and if so, in what update would it be addressed.  Unfortunately, big changes like this, like however PS is reading layers to make it chug like this, especially when zooming in out/changing tools, etc, only gets revised in the yearly major update rather than the incremental ones.

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop 23.1 on your M1 Mac. It would be helpful if you could go to the Help menu in Photoshop, then System info & share the info with us here.

Please ensure that Photoshop has the necessary permissions on your Mac by following the steps mentioned below:

1. Go to the System Preferences for your Mac, then Security and Privacy, then select the Privacy tab.

2. Then select Accessibility from the list to the left & check if Photoshop is added to the list with a check mark in front of it.

3. If Photoshop is not a part of the list, please add it by unlocking the window first using the lock at the bottom left, then clicking the + icon & navigating to the Applications folder.

4. Also, grant permissions to Photoshop under Full disk access located in the same list as Accessibility.

5. Once done, restart the Mac & check if it helps.

You can also try optimizing the preferences of Photoshop using the steps suggested here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

Let us know if it helps!

Regards,

Nikunj

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated I already did troubleshooting, there are no issues like this inhibiting PS, it is the build

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue after recent update... it take a second or two for example when I delete item before it's deleted... I constantly get spinning apple rainbow circle. I'm running MacOS Monterey v 12.1 3ghz 10-core intel xeon W with 128 gm memory and Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB... so I belive I have enough power to run photoshop 23.1 without any issues. (previous version run smooth) maybe rollback 🙂 

I did all that you suggested and also optimized as suggested in the video. 

Please let me know what else can be done? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the sudden everythign works ok now... very strange. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already responded to this same post saying that PS is checked here.  This is not a trouble shooting issue.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue..since last 2 or 3 updates, PS work very slow...Even if I work with small files and all I want to do is to position a logo on top and move it across the image...becames very lazy and keeps on freezing...
iMac 2017 8Gb Video card and 32GB ram memory (SSD inside also)...
Befor PS 23 update, everything was fine!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same Issue, on my M1 macbook 64GB. so slow it makes me crazy. the lines are running far behind my pensil while drawing and the spinning wheel is back after some 6 years or so... My colleague aswell has this problem, also with a new M1 macbook. It seems adobe has a mayor problem deep in the PS system and is denying it.... what to do?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issues with my 2020 M1 8gb. followed the trouble shooting i just installed this today and im so close to quiting using it.... has anyone found a fix they can share?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok... like why does it crash when exporting... took me 3 hours for an album cover that needed text and some smudging out logos (that part was the longest) kept getter the rainbow wheel of death and then i go to exoprt it loads for 20 min then you try to change to JPEG and boom PS in crashed

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also the same issue here: M1 MBP, 32gb ram.  I've gone through all the troubleshooting and everything is as it should be.  Its so slow in photoshop its painful.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Me also, just switched from a 2015 MBP with Photoshop CS5 to a new M1 MBP (16GB) with Photoshop 2023 and the old one was noticeably faster performing. I get constant rainbow wheel-spinning when i am opening, saving, or even just dragging layers from one file to another, and it's crashed a few times while I'm working, plus when the files open they often have a geometric distortion of the image,  usually a random section of the image will repeat multpile times within the original image and I have to switch a layer on and off or something to get it to appear normally. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines