• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 23.5 crashes iMac Monterey

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This morning, I installed the new Photoshop update 23.5. 

Ever since then it has been downhill. It has crashed my Mac at least 6 times today. I can draw for a few minutes, I can save it, but then when I draw again, the program shows me the spinning beach ball of death and crashes my Mac. The only other active programs are Clam XAV (firewall), Wacom Desktop Center and Font Explorer X pro, which are needed for this project. 

I work on an iMac Monterey 12.5.1. The Photoshop build is 23.5. I have just under a terabyte of memory and enough RAM available - so that is not the source of the problem. 

How do I return it to the prior version? The last versions of Photoshop have not been wonderful, but the version I had yesterday, worked without crashing. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @kianho sorry to hear this.  You can try rolling back a version, or try a few things with 23.5.

Let's make sure we're in a default state and there are no stale settings somewhere: 

Restore your preferences using this manual method:  

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually 

Does it work correctly? 

If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back. 

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Launch Photoshop, and select Help >System Info...and copy/paste the text in a reply.  

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the trouble @kianho,  23.5 seems to be functioning in Monterey for me just fine so far.

A couple questions:

When you write, "crashes my Mac" what does that mean? Does your whole system shut down?

Would be curious to know more about the apps that are running in your menu bar and how quitting any of them might affect your experience with the spinning beach balls. 

PeteGreen_0-1660837937277.png

Get back with more details if you can.

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To go back (revert) to previous versions, use the Adobe Creative Cloud application, next to the product you want to revert, click on... (three little dots) and pick "other versions."

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @kianho, another thing would be to start without any plugins and see if that works, then try to find the plugin that might be causing this.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/plug-ins-photoshop-troubleshooting.html

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FROM @kianho (unable to post a reply to this thread)

I wasn't able to reset the preferences. When I search for the preferences to back them up,

Navigate to Photoshop's Preferences folder. macOS: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

there is nothing there to be found. That is strange indeed. 

The only plug-in for PSD is ArcGIS Maps for Adobe Creative Cloud. I didn't even know that it was installed. I thought that was an Adobe Illustrator Plug-In. 

To answer Pet.Green's question: The problem is so severe that my Mac just shut off on me and when it did run, it sent reports to Apple. This happened 6-7 times today. At first, I thought it was because of possible internet or electric current problems. The crashes only occurred when I used Photoshop. 

I have deleted this new build of Photoshop and have installed 23.4.2. I also have 22.5.9 still on my computer, so if all else fails I will use that, I guess. My search and find illustrations aren't technically complicated, just a paintbrush, many layers and some actions that are simple to replace if necessary. 

If I have problems with the 23.4.2 I will let you know here - or if the web-gods let me, I will answer in the thread. Thank you for your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FROM @kianho (unable to post a reply to this thread)

Hi Cory, 

I reset the version to the previous one. But that didn't stop the crashes, they seemed to be less frequent, though. Because the crashes came when PSD was open, I restarted my iMac today in secure mode. I got a warning that my graphic processor is incompatible. How can that be? It's been compatible all along. It didn't recognize my processor. 

After doing that, I restarted the iMac. Now I am getting a green light from PSD that the graphic card is compatible. I hope so. But which statement is true, then? 

This is the system info direct from psd while secured modus was activated:

======= GPU

Native API stabil: Wahr

OpenGL API stabil: Wahr

OpenCL API stabil: Wahr

GPUDeny:               0

GPUForce:              0

useGPU:                0

useOpenCL:             0

isGPUCapable:          0

GPUName:               Unknown GPU

GPUVendor:             UNKNOWN

IsNativeGPUCapable:    0

IsOpenGLGPUCapable:    0

IsOpenCLGPUCapable:    0

HasSufficientRAM:      0

GPU accessible RAM:                     0 MB

Required GPU accessible RAM:        1,500 MB

UseGraphicsProcessorChecked:   1

UseOpenCLChecked:              1

This is the system info after the restart following secured modus:

======= GPU
Native API stabil: Wahr OpenGL API stabil: Wahr OpenCL API stabil: Wahr GPUDeny: 0
GPUForce: 0
useGPU: 1
useOpenCL: 1
isGPUCapable: 1
GPUName: AMD Radeon R9 M395
GPUVendor: AMD

IsNativeGPUCapable: 1
IsOpenGLGPUCapable: 1
IsOpenCLGPUCapable: 1
HasSufficientRAM: 1
GPU accessible RAM: 2,147 MB
Required GPU accessible RAM: 1,500 MB
UseGraphicsProcessorChecked: 1
UseOpenCLChecked: 1

I've noticed that things like zooming in still don't function smoothly. The drawing tools sometimes hang. Does that indicate that the iMac needs a new graphic card? 

Thanks for any advice you can give to me. 

Kianho

ps The first two photos are in secured modus, the following after secured modus has been ended and the iMac restarted. 

CoryShubert_0-1661954802674.png

CoryShubert_1-1661954802682.png

CoryShubert_2-1661954802673.png

CoryShubert_3-1661954802686.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines