• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 24.4 update is awful!

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VS 24.4 is awful... don't update! They force you to now work with jpf instead of jpg. An absolute nightmare trying to get a large project done - shame on you Adobe!

Also - give us back ALL our fonts - in most cases your customers paid for those fonts - just because you can't squeeze more money out of the developer should not be our problem.

I cannot wait until another company finally replaces Adobe - they are too big for their britches and need to remember their customers.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @susanc69215353 first, no one is forcing you into a format.

If you go to Preferences (Settings)/File Handling and check "Enable Legacy Save As" you can see jpg as a format under Save As again, or if you want to keep it as is go to File Save a Copy of jpg will be listed.

Next, Adobe did not remove fonts - I'm not sure what you are referring to. With a subcription you also have access to Adobe Fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done that and it is still an enormous hassle. Second, I am speaking about fonts other than "adobe" which my company paid a lot of money for now being unusable. I can still use them in previous versions, and the fonts are still available to purchase... but the newer versions of Adobe Apps say the fonts can not be used! Oh, and now instead of Adobe working out the licensing with Pantone - we now have to pay for Pantone too? Adobe has forgotten their customer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @susanc69215353 if you are talking about Type 1 fonts - that is not just Adobe and they gave more than a year's notice that this change was happening. Both Apple and Windows have announced plans to end support of them as well.

As for Pantone - that was all Pantone, not Adobe.

To their credit, Adobe has posted workarounds for users to avoid the Pantone Connect hassle:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/pantone-plus.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@susanc69215353 

When Kevin says "more than a year", he means 18 years. Thomas Phinney warned us in 2005:

https://blog.typekit.com/2005/10/06/phasing_out_typ/

Phinney explains in detail here. Skip the first five minutes where he is introduced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2X_DZRN66o

Microsoft dropped support for Type 1 fonts with Office 2013 (Windows) and 2016 (Mac)

UPDATE from Thomas Phinney: Apparently Microsoft dropped support for Type 1 fonts with Office 2013 for Windows and Office 2016 for Mac!] Publishing Professionals Network (www.pubpronetwork.org) presents.... Adobe (and others) are discontinuing Postscript Type 1 fonts. Come discover what you need ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done that and it is still an enormous hassle. Second, I am speaking about fonts other than "adobe" which my company paid a lot of money for now being unusable. I can still use them in previous versions, and the fonts are still available to purchase... but the newer versions of Adobe Apps say the fonts can not be used! Oh, and now instead of Adobe working out the licensing with Pantone - we now have to pay for Pantone too? Adobe has forgotten their customer!

By @susanc69215353

From Adobe (community forums):
"Currently, the community on community.adobe.com is used as a destination for customers to ask questions and engage in peer-to-peer conversations. IOW, this is a user-to-user support forum. The Adobe Support Community is a place to ask questions, find answers, learn from experts, and share your knowledge. Because we are a community used by people of all ages, cultures, and people at work, we carefully moderate its content".

If you have problems or need answers from other users who volunteer their time to help, do so in a discussion topic and message body, whereby you post specifics (what's the problem or issue, or the question) and provide some information about your operating system, version of the software you're asking about and steps to illustrate your problem.

If you want Adobe to be viewing what you post, there are two ways based on what you are hoping to report:

If you wish to report what you believe is a bug, you do so by following these guidelines:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12373403

If you wish to provide a feature request, you do so by following these guidelines (then make a request in the product forum):
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/how-do-i-write-a-feature-request/idi-p/123863...

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done that and it is still an enormous hassle. 

By @susanc69215353

Can you please elaborate on the enormous hassle you're facing after enabling Legacy Save As?

It should be a case of set once and your old workflow is back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They force you to now work with jpf instead of jpg. An absolute nightmare trying to get a large project done - shame on you Adobe!

By @susanc69215353

If you want to say "shame on you", say it to Apple, not to Adobe. Apple changed their API and left Adobe to come up with a solution for us. Details here:

https://petapixel.com/2021/05/18/photoshops-save-as-function-has-changed-on-mac-heres-why/ 
If your image meets all of the specifications for a jpeg (flattened; 8-bit; no alpha channels, et cetera), you don't need to enable legacy save as. If it has anything that a jpeg does not support, you have two choices:

• Save a Copy
  • Enable Legacy Save As

Complain to Apple on this one, not Adobe.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you trying to do – ruin a rant with facts? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please read this post: 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/support-for-authoring-with-postscript...

Which MacOS version are you using? 

Can you load the fonts in question in FontBook? 

It seems I myself cannot load Type1-fonts on MacOS 13.2.1 (Edit: On the OS Side that is.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines