• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 3D features are being removed

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of Photoshop 22.5, released in August 2021, Photoshop’s 3D features will be discontinued. 3D features have enjoyed long success within Photoshop over the course of  10+ years, however the personal computing industry has recently been transitioning away from use of OpenGL  (having to do specifically with the use of GPUs, which is critical for 3D) toward native GPU APIs, which ultimately began the slow deterioration of Photoshop’s 3D features, all of which needed OpenGL. As difficult of a decision as removing 3D features from Photoshop is, the silver lining is that the next generation of 3D content creation tools from Adobe is already here. Check out the Substance line of 3D products.

For more details, please visit Photoshop discontinued 3D Q&A.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 207 Replies 207
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this because of Metal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe: "Well, we are removing all the 3D features from Photoshop, but for $40 a month, you can get them back!" This is the worst business idea ever. You never fail to surprise me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

literally ....... just terrible. not to mention there are tons of other 3d softwares that range from cheaper to free -_-

now i am paying for an adobe memebership to all apps that doesnt even include all the apps -_-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thta's good news makes it less bloated and one less unecessary item in my menu.

Maybe more focus on what is necessary. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"We're producing 3D software now and want to force you to subscribe to it so we can milk $40-80 more per month from you."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol anyone remeber when they had adobe demenison for free. now they wont even give 3d to people who pay for all apps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spherical Panorama editing:

Affinity Photo has a working "Live Projection Equirectangular" spherical editing mode that seems well respected by many 360° photographers who found old PS 3D spherical edit mode slow and glitchy, it would be great if Adobe could make this work in Photoshop so we don't have to edit 360° panoramas in a different app 

https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/LiveProjection/equirectangular.html?ti...

https://youtu.be/ohYIIPR4JEw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will the price of my "All Apps" subscription which doesn't include the Substance line be reduced along with the reduction in features? Or will the Substance line be included in my "ALLLLL Apps" Subscription at no extra cost?

I suspect neither and I see less and less reason to continue my subscription at all. I'm pretty sure I can get what I need from Affinity, Blender, Quixel and Da Vinci for a fraction of the price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

^^^^^^^^

literally could not have said it better myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working with elements using the 3D options in photoshop for a long time and I find the argument that this option was slowing down photoshop dishonest because it was working perfectly until the last update this month which made it totally unusable.
You could have the honesty to say that you remove it to be able to sell your new pack especially for 3D and which is not included in the subscription of the CC. That you make evolve your tools it is comprehensible, but that it is done at the expense of the professional users who feed your business it is in my eyes a lack of respect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the argument made that 3D functionality "was slowing down Photoshop"? That is not what the original post or the FAQs state.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it states that technology is changing and because adobe programs were made years ago, the technology is becoming absolte. so instead of updated the technology you guys completely removed it and added another subscription fee. so to be fair, kevkevboy is not that far off - adobe is pretty much saying 3d stuff no longer works properly photoshop because technology is outdated. which is actually worse than what kevkevboy understood as slowing the program down.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is nothing but a greedy and cynical way of pushing subscribers to Substance. Adobe are shameless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why in the hell would you discontinue Photoshop 3D features?! You don't offer any other legit 3D program, therefore, this is a major mistake. Thanks for nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You're not really addressing Adobe here as this is a user to user forum, did you read this

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem/photoshop-3d-features-are-being-removed/td-p/1232...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has also discontinued it's Feedback site, so THIS is only place we can express our frustration at this jerk move. I used Photoshop 3D functionality all the time, and removing it because they're unwilling to do what's necessary to use the correct dlls/drivers/etc is a total jerk move.  Of course Adobe wants us all to move to Substance, and pay EXTRA for what we had in Photoshop just one generation back...  

It was better that I never had to leave PS to edit my 3D.

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Complain by all means but be balanced in your comparison. Photoshop has never had the functionality of the Substance apps.

Photoshop at best had  limited extrusion capabilities, slow CPU based path tracing,  no physics simulations, noisy rendering.

It was a reasonable add on when it first came out in the, extra cost, CS Extended editions, but has not moved on or kept up with modern 3D applications, even the free ones such as Blender (which is excellent for modelling and rendering).

I took my first steps in 3D with Photoshop so am disappointed to see it go, but I can understand Adobe's decision to focus Photoshop's functionality on what it does best in a 3D workflow i.e. the 2D elements such as compositing.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't care whether PS had the full capabilities of Substance, I never asked for more than what PS could do. If I ever needed more advanced modeling I'd use Blender, Daz or something else. The problem is that Adobe is promoting Substance as the replacement for Photoshop's 3D capabilities AND CHARGING MORE FOR IT.  

It would be one thing if Adobe provided a product that had the limited 3D functionality PS did and provided it to subscribers, but instead they've reduced the functionality of their product and told us to buy something else. 

But 3D rendering is not all that's being removed. With the 3D goes 3D panoramas, extrude and revolve and other useful features. 

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're removing 3D from PS because you have a new product and are making us who have subscribed to PS pay for it. This really sucks. I subscribe to the "all apps" plan but still have to pay extra for new software I've never used before rather than fixing the features already in Photoshop. 

Adobe Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i very much agree with micah. the issues is that adobe is taking away features and functionaililty from paying customers, and telling them that they cannot have those features anymore unless they are going to pay a lot more. I have been using photoshop for years but now features suddenly no longer work and i am being told i need to purchase ANOTHER subscription (on top of my ALL APPS subscription) if i want to continue to do what i have been doing. 

the issues is adobe is completely disrespecting paying customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is the bump map/normal map filter being discontinued? This is a super useful, quick part of 3D workflow that I use every day when I want a quick alternative to baking normal maps. This will definitely make me reconsider whether or not to continue with these products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And as a follow up...are any 3D tools being added for those who currently pay for packages that include these features in photoshop as of before this feature cutback?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same situation, I create normal maps on a daily basis. I'm not going to pay the stupidly high price for Substance and as Photoshop and Illustrator do nothing more than Affinity once the 3D features are removed, I see no reason to continue my "All Apps" subscription that doesn't include all apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is frustratingly infuriating, Adobe.  

Friends, I uninstalled my PS v22.5 and downgraded it to the 22.2 version.  ALL of the 3d Features are on it and I'm able to bring in OBJs into a 3d layer, Create and extrusion, and export an OBJ file again. 

Hopefully this helps some of you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I URGE you to reconsider. So much of my digital painting relies on the 3D toolset to place dummies for paintovers and lay out scenes. Photoshop will have a HUGE hole in it if you go ahead with it. Images like this would have been impossible:barn_cutaway11SMALL.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines