• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 3D features are being removed

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of Photoshop 22.5, released in August 2021, Photoshop’s 3D features will be discontinued. 3D features have enjoyed long success within Photoshop over the course of  10+ years, however the personal computing industry has recently been transitioning away from use of OpenGL  (having to do specifically with the use of GPUs, which is critical for 3D) toward native GPU APIs, which ultimately began the slow deterioration of Photoshop’s 3D features, all of which needed OpenGL. As difficult of a decision as removing 3D features from Photoshop is, the silver lining is that the next generation of 3D content creation tools from Adobe is already here. Check out the Substance line of 3D products.

For more details, please visit Photoshop discontinued 3D Q&A.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 207 Replies 207
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be happy with a subscritption model that allowed me to choose and pay for a bundle of apps of my choosing, if I could swap out Dreamweaver, Animate and Audition for Substance then that would be fine.....Adobe must realise that the 3D aspect is beneficial and needed otherwise they wouldn't spin it off into a new cash grab.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I would so love to be able to get only the apps I need and use in a bundle of my choosing as well.   As it is now I do not use any except Photoshop and sometimes the bridge.  I don't need or want all the others.  And in fact I can't even use the latest updates for Photoshop,  because I need to be able to make normal maps, and use simple lighting and for some reason the newer versions of Photoshop tend to use up a whole lot more of my system resources, causing crashes..  So I pay for a subscription just for the privilledge of using an old version of photoshop 2.2  as that is the only one that still works the way I need it to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tazz222 wrote:

...I do not use any except Photoshop and sometimes the bridge.  I don't need or want all the others. 

Are you subscribing to CC All Apps or the Photography plan? The Photography plan is annual, payable at $9.99 per month and includes Photoshop, Bridge, and 20G of Cloud storage. Compare the features and storage here:

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/compare-plans.html

20BB1063-A972-4139-BF59-9FD9974BEA27.jpeg

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the lowest Photography plan 9,95 but it costs me 14.68 in Canadian funds.  and that is quite enough given that as I said I cannot use any version higher than 2.2  without getting into crashing issues and 2.2 still gives me the ability to make normal maps and use some lighting features.  So I am really not getting my money's worth at all..  The idea of being able to choose the apps you want would be so nice.. as I would love to have just photohsop and Illustrator but not possible unless I want to pay top price for all apps which is impossible.  I really preferred it when you could just purchase Photoshop outright and own it.  This subscription thing is a huge cash cow for the creators of Photoshop and all these new Substance apps are just more ways for them to make even more.  I have totally lost respect for a company I have been using since photoshop first came out.  So sad really because they do not care about us little guys at all.  It is clear that they are only after those who can fork out the big bucks for their bloated subscription plans.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tazz222 wrote:

...as I would love to have just photohsop and Illustrator but not possible unless I want to pay top price for all apps which is impossible.  I really preferred it when you could just purchase Photoshop outright and own it. 

You never owned Photoshop outright — you owned a license to use it and were limited to the terms and conditions of that license:

https://www.allbusiness.com/the-difference-between-buying-and-licensing-software-928-1.html

You can also subscribe to a single app plan. If you only want Illustrator in addition to the Photography plan, it is more cost effective to add the annual single app plan for Illustrator than it is to get the entire All Apps plan.

The Substance apps aren't new; they are only new to Adobe. Before that they were available by subscription from Allegorithmic. If Adobe had not acquired them, those apps would still be a separate subscription, just not through Adobe.

If you are getting crashing issues, be sure to include your email on the crash reports, then post about the crash in a new thread and tag it as a "bug" not "discussion". Adobe Staff reads the crash reports and responds to the threads reporting crashes in the Bugs section. 

You can have multiple copies of Photoshop installed, so keep PS 22.2 for 3D and turn off automatic updates in the Creative Cloud app. Be sure to choose to keep previous versions when installing new versions.

I hope this helps,

Jane

Forum volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You never owned Photoshop outright — you owned a license to use it and were limited to the terms and conditions of that license:

OK fine licensed ..  but still had the program.

And where is the option to subscribe to a single app plan??  Was nothing like that available when I last looked.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And where is the option to subscribe to a single app plan??  Was nothing like that available when I last looked.  

By @Tazz222

Hi Tazz,

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

janee_0-1650922782383.png

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so you can have individual single program subscriptions;  but if you want two of them i.e. photoshop and illustrator it is still gonna cost you big time.  Over 20 $ for illustrator alone and that is US $   add another 10 to that for Canada.  Add that to the Photoshop Photography bundle (there is no idnividual Photoshop).. and you are talking very close to the cost of the all apps bundle.  So that is not really an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a further comment here.  I had to reinstall everythig due to the need to reinstall windows.  As a result, I found I could no lovger get photoshop version 2.22 as it appears to be unavailable now.  So in stead of helping us with our issues, They have made it even harder to do what we need to so.  So much for listening to their pattrons!  Greed comes to mind, and those of us on budgets that do not allow for edtra subsriptions are not important it seems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I faced the same situation,  just ask to Adobe support, they should provide you a link in order to download un older version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow - there is some misinformation in these threads.

@Tazz222

'I found I could no lovger get photoshop version 2.22 as it appears to be unavailable now'

Photoshop 22.2 is still available from the CC desktop application provided you have a subscription. Click on the three dots next to Photoshop and choose other versions - then scroll down. I've just checked this on two separate accounts. It will be removed at some point, Adobe state 'up to two years from August 2021' - https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/kb/3d-faq.html

'there is no idnividual Photoshop'

Yes there is, but the Photography plan is cheaper. https://www.adobe.com/uk/products/photoshop/compare-plans.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be totally honest, which Adobe will not be, with you...This is just another ploy for Adobe to become richer. I own adobe stock and their stock has gone up, YOY. Wait! It gets better! Now with the coming of A.I., Adobe is about to lose their minds, trying to incorporate it into Photoshop and other products, instead of fixing the bugs. It's like buying a used car, "as is". Watch the subscription price go up because of it. They removed 3D from photoshop, but hasn't reduce the subscription price. I might sell the stock. Now, there's good things about the adobe subscription, i.e. instant refund upon cancelation and they'll offer a discounted price to keep you from canceling  However, this 3D mess isn't one of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I must sound like a broken record in here by now, but damn it I cannot help but keep complaining!  Keith has said it pretty much in a nut shell as have others in here.  The "bundles"  are a joke to be honest.  Now that the ability to use lighting and make normal maps have been taken out of the current versions,  I am now paying for a "bundle" of crap I do not need just to get photoshop with reduced functions, and no reduction in price.  Did anyone ask the public/ the users what they need or want in a bundle?  I think not!  Do we have the option to create our own bundle?  Nope!  I use only photoshop, I have no use for any of the other things in my bundle but I have to pay for the whole shebang anyhow.  Yet a bundle for me would be Photoshop with lighting and normal map features, and Illustrator and that's it.  I really don't need or will I ever use the other programs I pay for in my bundle.  AND I am certainly NOT going to pay through the nose to get Subtance just to make a normal map or lighting options.  Adobe, you are making a lot of loyal long term customers very very unhappy!  You may well lose many of us over this money grabbing change.  You take away, don't give back, ask for more, and DO NOT LISTEN!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this really sucks.... especially since Substance doesn't come with Adobe Suite... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

like honestly... yall don't do this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with some of the other artists on this thread. Wait, check that. I'm with most of the artist on this thread saying this is a horrible thing and now I've been trying to deal with it for the past couple months and it's a nightmare of workarounds and crappy solutions. Because yeah, you know that is exactly the best way to spend my time. Let's completely change my 2D illustration workflow to switch to a different program mid-stream while working on an image/illustration (oh and learn a whole other piece of software. Oh I'm sorry, I mean 4 new pieces of software if you are going the Substance route), just to do a simple lighting effect on an image layer. Love those 20 step work around solutions. What a time saver! (note: if you can't sense the sarcasm here I don't know what to tell you.) I am fine with you taking them out. No really. It's just a major crappy move to make us have to use a much more complicated app suite for a simple task and then charge me an Adobe "Sorry, Not Sorry" tax of an additional $100 a month or $1200 a year. Opps, I'm Sorry. I mean $99.99 a month, $1199.88 a year. Thanks for the discount for paying annually Adobe. Again that is sarcasm.

Hey, now that I think about it, You know those simple 2D vector tools Photoshop has, and has had in it for years? Well let's get rid of those. I mean heck, we have Illustrator right? Let's force people to use that for a few simple vector tasks. Now those pesky people who only subscribe to the Photographer's bundle (is it even still an option they have on the site of just Photoshop and Lightroom? I just looked. I don’t think it is. Wow. Nice move Adobe. Add another tick to the not-so-cool column. Bravo… golf clap) will have to upgrade to the "FULL" creative cloud. Opps, did I say FULL? (insert an evil Adobe overlord laugh here). 

I mean in my head I can hear the Powers that be and how this went...

…Exec 1, "How much should we charge for these new apps that aren't going to be part of the current All applications subscription?"

Exec 2, "How many applications are in it?"

Exec 1, "We can call it 4. But the catch is we are removing some stuff from our most popular piece of software Photoshop that will be in the new apps"

Exec 2, "How much do we charge for the FULL all aps suite now?"

Exec 1, "$960 a year for the 20+ creative apps now."

Exec 2, "You mean $959.88. Hmmm Nice. Let's say another $100 a month."

Exec 1, "You know that is more than our main all apps creative cloud subscription for these 4 apps right?"

Exec 2, "I know, but it's It's 3D!"

Exec 1, "So, $1200 a year for the new apps."

Exec 1, "No, no. That’s too much. Let's make it $99.99 a month. You know, so it's only $1199.88 a year."

Both, "Hahahahahhahahah."...

Adobe just keeps making it easier to start looking for alternatives and I've been using Photoshop since version 2.5. (Yep that long) I mean if Photoshop is going to get less usable, and the creative suite is not going to have the creative software to do a 2D/3D comp in it anyways why stick with an bloated/restrictive creative suite that either has way more than you need or not some of the critical pieces you do. Plus if I need to switch programs to do a simple task that I used to be able to do but can't now why not switch to a whole different echo system of applications. Gotta learn new software anyways it looks like, so why not just drop Adobe entirely. My guess is that they will remove Acrobat Pro from the “All” apps creative cloud next at some point, and you will need to subscribe to their business cloud with all new Acrobat, that is the old Acrobat just split up into 4 different apps and a couple new ones, or old ones re-named. I'm looking at you Indesign and some others. I mean they will come up with a really good sounding reason (for some). Just wait. I won't be surprised. lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Talk about milking the cow! Taking away features from my £50 a month subscription so that I have to pay an extra £20 for 3D software! Absolutely disgusting from Adobe. I am now going to shop around for different editing software for my photo and video editing because this really makes me angry. And they try and hide their GREED behind a few paragraphs of technical jargon schmutz, blaming it on "technical reasons" and " transition to newer native APIs". (Although the best bit is how the people at Adobe hope that "Photoshop and the Substance products will work together to bring the best of modern 2D and 3D to life", when it is obvious to everyone that you just want an extra £20 a month from people like me).

Shame on you Adobe. You make a great product, get people to rely on it and then take away features that people have used for ages in a bid to extort extract more £££ from them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow thank you!  you said the same thing I did, but you did it so much better!  Let's hope someone from Adobe actually reads these posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the next generation of 3D tools is here AT A PRICE which is on top of the price we already pay for our package!  So to get simple tools like the ability to use some lighting, or make a normal map,  we now have to fork out more money!!!  To replace tools that are taken out of our package..  Adobe wants more money to get those back in another program, but are they reducing the price of our original package to compensate for the losses.. I think not!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you forgot to mention how 3d will no longer be avaible to paying all apps memebers in photoshop. now the things I used to be able to do in photoshop you are making me purchase another monthly subscription. you basically took away the 3d funtionality I used to pay for and made new apps which have a seperate subscription fee. so obnoxious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are inexpensive alternatives:

Blender (free) & PBR Painter ($24 permanent license): https://blendermarket.com/products/pbr-painter

ArmorPaint ($25): https://armorpaint.org/

3DCoat Textura (95 euros permanent license): https://pilgway.com/product/3dcoattextura

Quixel Mixer (free): https://quixel.com/mixer

Combine any with Blender (free) and you'll have a far more powerful, faster, modern, and effective solution than Photoshop's 3D feature ever was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mad_dawg wrote:

you forgot to mention how 3d will no longer be avaible to paying all apps memebers in photoshop.

It was mentioned here:

"...we recommend using Photoshop version 22.2 (from February 2021) if you need more stable performance with Photoshop’s 3D features."

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/3d-faq.html#using-latest-and-discontinued-features

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely not even close to the Adobe Photoshop 3D environment we had.... but I recently came across this little free plug-in where you can bring pre-created 3D objects, roate them around and create your own scene of sorts.

https://exchange.adobe.com/creativecloud/plugindetails.html/app/cc/a8c7f65e

Check out the cool art this guy Ingo Lindmeier creates ("Alphanimals"), using some of these 3D objects.

Jump to minute 24 if you dont want to watch the intro of his work, but its worth looking. 

https://youtu.be/Lkl0KS0Q4fk

Enjoy!
mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think to add Affinity Photo to my suite of tools, which does add 360 panorama editing just very fine when I look at the tutorials about it. So if they can manage to do this with a software that's just 55€ single lifetime license, then Adobe would be perfectly capable of updating this feature and improve this instead of moving it to another sofwtare outside the all apps bundle forcing people to buy another 3D subscription...not! This is a bad, bad move. Although the 3D options are still there in May 2022. But the Affinity one looks even better. Sorry to say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should feel absolutely embarrassed by the shameless money grab to release a new pay-to-play toolset when we were all promised that creative cloud would include all the adobe software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines